Help,the issue about the size of the wrench!

Discussion about guitar setup, repair, and other technical issues
charisarvanitis
Kramer Maniac

Re: Help,the issue about the size of the wrench!

Post by charisarvanitis » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:38 am

This is so helpful, thank you very much! No and that is precisely the problem, the 8mm hex wrench (with a 90 degree grip) does not slide all the way in (i.e. around the bolt), it barely fits the tip of the truss rod, which is precisely why it is impossible to rotate in the first place, let alone if it’s stuck due to years of inactivity..

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:20 pm

Sounds like you may need to get creative, effectively making your own wrench by cutting down an 8mm deep socket to fit and drilling it for a handle. Once you've got the old one off you could use spacers/washers under the nut so the regular tool fits without bottoming out. I've had that problem.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:05 pm

Probably the socket is a bit too shallow. You may try to drill it with a 7mm just to make it 2-3mm deeper, might be enough. Worked for me once.

charisarvanitis
Kramer Maniac

Post by charisarvanitis » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:53 pm

For now I have ordered a 9mm wrench (also with 90 degree angled grip) which should arrive in a few weeks. So lets see if that does the trick.. if not, then I’ll try to get creative yeah.. Apparently super easy to find 8mm or smaller wrenches for truss rods with next day delivery but very few 9mm truss rod wrenches out there, hence the wait time. We shall see - thank you all for your suggestions

charisarvanitis
Kramer Maniac

Post by charisarvanitis » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:04 pm

Who would have thought… 9mm wrench did the trick and truss rod is perfectly functional even after 34 years :merryx

Kramers
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Kramers » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:21 pm

Congrats! :yourock
7-Pointies, 4-Bananas of sorts, 2-Hockey Sticks, 1-Open Book(?)