Pacer Special body(?)

Discussion about the identification of Kramer Guitars and Kramer history
antonn
Kramer Maniac

Pacer Special body(?)

Post by antonn » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:53 am

Hi!

I bought a friends Kramer project and included was this body.
I think it's a Pacer Special but I'm not sure, there has been some work done with it:

-The back tremolo cavity is weird but it could have been routed out by a previous owner.
-Both sets of floyd post screws (there are two plugged) are completely off and it's drilled for vintage 6-screw.
-Middle pickup cavity rout that has been plugged.
-Drilled for a extra tone control or switch.

It has been stripped and resprayed with primer, weight is 3.8 lbs or 1750 gram.
What do you guys think? Is it a Pacer Special? Sports body?

Anyway, I will begin with plugging and drilling for floyd screws and clean up the pickup cavity and the tremolo cavity in the front.
After that i might rout for humber in the neck position to make it a Pacer Imperial and search for a beak neck on ebay.

Any input is welcome!

LhKramer
Kramer Kingpin

Re: Pacer Special body(?)

Post by LhKramer » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:01 am

Looks like a pacer custom body as in 2 hums and sombody filled them in?
It has the 3 holes and the switch hole so,i dont think its a speical body,looks like a pacer
https://reverb.com/item/3207525-1984-us ... ramer-case

Imm sure some super expert wil be along soon and get u fixed up :thumbs

antonn
Kramer Maniac

Post by antonn » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:08 am

LhKramer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:01 am Looks like a pacer custom body as in 2 hums and sombody filled them in?
It has the 3 holes and the switch hole so,i dont think its a speical body,looks like a pacer

It's only one humbucker routed bridge position, single coil routed in mid position but it was probably not Kramer that did it :)
In neck position there is nothing!

LhKramer
Kramer Kingpin

Post by LhKramer » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:10 am

antonn wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:08 am
LhKramer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:01 am Looks like a pacer custom body as in 2 hums and sombody filled them in?

It's only one humbucker routed bridge position, single coil routed in mid position but it was probably not Kramer that did it :)
In neck position there is nothing!
right on,its hard too see on a phone screen,maybe its a special after all.thers plenty of guys that will get u sorted

SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin

Post by SWANTECH » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:21 am

Well. Just my opinion.
I believe it is a Pacer Special body.
You are very close to a 5150 clone. Why not take it the rest of the way? I believe that is what the 5150 started life as.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nightswan Holoflash
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Duckling
19 Nightswan Polka Dot
88 Stagemaster T Blue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
86 Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
89 Pacer Cst 2 Blk
91 Baretta 3 Blk Cherry
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 blue
01 Music Yo Explorer
89 Baretta 2 FF red

AAEA
Kramer Kingpin

Post by AAEA » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:34 pm

without a doubt its a sports special. that tremolo cavity ledge is the tell on that. too bad someone went and modded it and then didn't refin all that well.

Id say early "A" plate pacer. it has the input jack on top inline with the rest of the controls.

if you got it at deal pricing then no worries.

I think after a quality refin you can fix up the dirty hum route and hide the extra pickup patch better. I think they tried to floyd it and got the placement of the posts totally wrong the first time.

but like I said a good refin will cover all the mistakes.
I own kramers :mrgreen

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:30 pm

Yeah, looks like a Sports Pacer Special body. Shouldn't be too big a job to put it right.

antonn
Kramer Maniac

Post by antonn » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:29 am

AAEA wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:34 pm without a doubt its a sports special. that tremolo cavity ledge is the tell on that. too bad someone went and modded it and then didn't refin all that well.

Id say early "A" plate pacer. it has the input jack on top inline with the rest of the controls.

if you got it at deal pricing then no worries.

I think after a quality refin you can fix up the dirty hum route and hide the extra pickup patch better. I think they tried to floyd it and got the placement of the posts totally wrong the first time.

but like I said a good refin will cover all the mistakes.
Right on the money! :007
Didn't even notice that the barrel style output jack was "missing" until you suggested that 3:rd was the output jack! :)

I suspect that getting a hold of a Kramer strat head neck, a 6-screw trem and a A/B-plate will cost a fortune (I live in Sweden).

4 options:
1. Try to just restore it to factory spec even though it will cost a lot of money.
2. Buy a Beak neck, A/B-plate and Floyd it.
3. Same as number 2 but also rout for a barrel style output jack and a humbucker in neck position = Imperial spec.
4. Restore the body and sell it.

I paid 200$ for this body and a 84/85 Baretta neck, I will make two separate guitars since I really want a banana baretta.
It will probably take a long time to source parts for each of these projects but I will try to make a thread under "tech talk" were I update the process as it progresses!

antonn
Kramer Maniac

Post by antonn » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:34 am

SWANTECH wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:21 am Well. Just my opinion.
I believe it is a Pacer Special body.
You are very close to a 5150 clone. Why not take it the rest of the way? I believe that is what the 5150 started life as.
Hmm, that's a bit tempting as well..
Not sure I would pull it off as good as it deserves though!
80sChris wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:30 pm Yeah, looks like a Sports Pacer Special body. Shouldn't be too big a job to put it right.
With a bit of drilling, filling (with wood ofc), sanding and paint it will probably turn out really good! :)

A big "thank you" to everyone for your input! :bananahead