Kustom Necks

Discussions about Kramer Guitars in general.
daleae
Kramer Maniac

Re: Kustom Necks

Post by daleae » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:01 pm

AAEA wrote:I wouldn't b making any copy necks right now lol...

There is some major works to go after patent infringers lately :poke
I hear you…..work for minimum wage just to put yourself in the crosshairs of a lawsuit….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAEA
Kramer Kingpin

Post by AAEA » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:18 pm

the companies who build these sorts of necks often license the designs and pay the patent holders. You could apply for a license.
I own kramers :mrgreen

daleae
Kramer Maniac

Post by daleae » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:14 am

You know, just for academic reasons I’d be curious to know more about the copyright restrictions and licensing costs for some of the classic Kramer designs. What would it cost to try to buy licensing rights for designs that Gibson’s Kramer brand doesn’t even use anymore like the JK headstock design? For that matter, we haven’t seen Ibanez Holy Grail Destroyer headstocks in years. What would that cost to license? Unless I’m missing something, the only way I would think these copyright owners could monetize out of production designs would be to license them.

SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin

Post by SWANTECH » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:46 am

daleae wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:14 am You know, just for academic reasons I’d be curious to know more about the copyright restrictions and licensing costs for some of the classic Kramer designs. What would it cost to try to buy licensing rights for designs that Gibson’s Kramer brand doesn’t even use anymore like the JK headstock design? For that matter, we haven’t seen Ibanez Holy Grail Destroyer headstocks in years. What would that cost to license? Unless I’m missing something, the only way I would think these copyright owners could monetize out of production designs would be to license them.

I don't know about cost of fee's.
Gibson did use, and still uses a grail head stock on The 84 model Kramer, since around 2000 if I recall.
Most of the Banana headstocks could be considered closely resembling the 1958 Gibson Explorer head stock design. I could see Gibson trying to go after that also. Especially since they just won the Dean lawsuit. They sued Dean for the split head stock or (Dove Wing headstock as they call it), even though the Gibson 58 split headstocks were off set, noticeably different, and very few guitars were ever produced by Gibson with the design. Just a hand full of prototypes. Their patent on that design had run out in 1976. Gibson also never trade marked those designs in those early years. I expect that law suit to be over turned eventually if Dean has the will, and money to fight on and file an appeal. Even if Gibson did have a trademark they didn't defend it for almost 60 years.

So the short answer is this. Gibson has continued to use the grail head stock. Any Banana head stock shape could be contested by Gibson. Winning the Dean law suit will only encourage Gibson to go after the Banana head stock designs that a lot of companies that have used the design for decades with no problems. I wouldn't doubt that lawsuits from Gibson are coming very soon.

Even if Gibson doesn't win money from the law suits. If they win a decision like the Dean case. They can then demand that anyone making a guitar with that design either sign a licensing agreement, stop making that design, or face a lawsuit. They can also petition the court for the competition to stop making the disputed design until the case is resolved. This of course is just another way they try to destroy their competition. They played that dirty pool with PRS.

Gibson has been ockuckers for quite some time.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st E. Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Ugly Duckling rescue project
19 Nightswan Polka Dot reissue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
8? Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
91 Baretta 3 Black Cherry
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 Flip Flop Something
01 Music Yo Imperial/Explorer
89 Baretta 2 Flip Flop Red FS

daleae
Kramer Maniac

Post by daleae » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:12 pm

I hear you. I guess Gibson can lay claim to most of the the banana variations. I will say, if Gibson’s ‘84 is supposed to be a holy grail copy, they did a terrible job. That thing isn’t even close! I guess the question would be, is it close enough for a judge to rule in Gibson’s favor?

To your point, I suspect Gibson couldn’t copy the grail because someone else actually owns it. The Kamikaze is the closest thing I’ve seen from a major manufacturer and the dimensions on that are slightly different. The only one I’ve seen who gets the grail exactly right, besides Musikraft, is Johnny at AXN.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:08 pm

They don't want to do an exact copy, that would be a gold mine for fake grail builders. Same goes for other classic shapes. Maybe they'll use them if they ever start building "American" models again.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:13 pm

To me the best nanner is still the Gibson Explorer, they should switch to that :mrgreen

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:18 pm

Just imagine Kramer logo and truss rod cover, I'd like that.

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:26 pm

And swap the fugly tuners for Schaller.

daleae
Kramer Maniac

Post by daleae » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:03 pm

That’s a thing of beauty….this one, not so much. Image