5150 Iconic combo

Discussion about amplifiers, effects, speakers, pickups, and other elektronics
User avatar
SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by SWANTECH » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:51 pm

Supply and demand.

In the Eighties. A lot of amp builders were trying new technology to get amps to sound like tube/valve amps without tubes. A whole lot of solid state amps came to market because many companies believed tubes would no longer be made. Many companies knew the USA tube companies were going to go out of business. They were 100% right. The USA tube companies went out of business.

What no one predicted was that the Wall would come down. That trade with Soviet block, and former communist Soviet block countries would open, and at the same time China would take up the slack. So tubes/valves were again plentiful and inexpensive.

Just my opinion.
The demand won't go away. So eventually either some company will start making tubes, or someone will invent something better to replace it. You can already get Yellow Jacket rectifier tube converters, that convert a rectifier tube to a solid state rectifier.
Maybe someone invents something like it that sounds as good or better than tubes/valves.
Demand will force something to happen.

In the meant time, tubes/valve will get very expensive. This will drive up the price of tubes, and the amp being made with them. Covid, Russia trade restrictions, and inflation are going to make all tube amps become very expensive.

Just saying. If you want a tube amp now. Get them before the price gets insane.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st E. Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Ugly Duckling rescue project
19 Nightswan Polka Dot reissue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
8? Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
91 Baretta 3 Black Cherry
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 Flip Flop Something
01 Music Yo Imperial/Explorer
89 Baretta 2 Flip Flop Red FS

User avatar
_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 5784
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by _xxx_ » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:23 pm

Technically, it's not possible to replace tubes with anything solid-state. You can make great solid state amps, you can somewhat emulate the tube behavior etc., but something like a plug-in replacement is not doable.

Best bet is that the digital emulation will become good enough, like say an amp built around some next gen Axe-FX or such. Think Kemper but with much better fidelity and signal quality.

Tubes are also still made in China and in Serbia ("E.I." brand, quality stuff), so they won't disappear just because of missing russian exports. Russian tubes will be available via China and other Russia-friendly countries, just the prices will probably double, so yeah, tube amps prices will go way up.

Sluggy
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by Sluggy » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:17 pm

Might have a line on the 5150iii LBX head for $425

User avatar
ShredIsLife
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by ShredIsLife » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:21 pm

Sluggy wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:17 pm Might have a line on the 5150iii LBX head for $425
That's a great deal. I have the LBX Stealth head and it everything I want in a tube amp. I run it at like 1/4 watt or whatever the low watt setting is and the tone is just perfect. Add a tube screamer in front and it's just so good.
Nightswan II Natural finish
Nightswan Blue Sparkle
Sustainer Holoflash
Condor Ghoul graphic
Kramer Classic Strat
1981 Strathead Creme Racing Stripe
1982 Strathead Trans red
1988 Kramer RS flip flop white
1984 Baretta Cream Custom Order
1983 The Pacer Cream Floyd Rose
1986 Paul Dean signature FF Red

My collection page on vintagekramer.com (just a fraction of the Kramers i've owned)
http://vintagekramer.com/mine12.htm

Sluggy
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by Sluggy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:26 pm

ShredIsLife wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:21 pm
Sluggy wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:17 pm Might have a line on the 5150iii LBX head for $425
That's a great deal. I have the LBX Stealth head and it everything I want in a tube amp. I run it at like 1/4 watt or whatever the low watt setting is and the tone is just perfect. Add a tube screamer in front and it's just so good.
Nice, I’ve been watching videos on these amps. It would be $465 with shipping. Still seems like a great price for it..

Sluggy
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by Sluggy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:51 am

I found a PV 6505+ full-size head guy wants $650 for it bought it new in 2016 used it for eight months put it away says there might be a fuse issue or need tubes not sure if it’s worth it or not.

User avatar
SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by SWANTECH » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:19 pm

If fuses are being blown in a tube amp. It is most commonly a bad tube in the power section, or rectifier tube if it has them. Most amps don't blow fuses when preamp tubes fail.
Usually it is best to have a qualified person bias the amp when installing new power tubes. New tubes and a tech biasing the amp can add several hundred dollars to the purchase price.

It is important to really do your research on specific brands and models. For instance. On Mesa Boogie amps. There is no way to bias the amps. The amps are made to be used with their pre biased tubes or another brand of bias matched set of tubes. There usually isn't any bias adjustment on a Class A amplifier either.

Maybe wait and watch for a little bit. This tube issue may cause some people to dump their tube amps cheap and exchange them for Kemper and other alternatives. It is possible some great deals will start showing up.

Best of luck.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st E. Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Ugly Duckling rescue project
19 Nightswan Polka Dot reissue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
8? Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
91 Baretta 3 Black Cherry
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 Flip Flop Something
01 Music Yo Imperial/Explorer
89 Baretta 2 Flip Flop Red FS

Sluggy
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by Sluggy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:38 pm

SWANTECH wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:19 pm If fuses are being blown in a tube amp. It is most commonly a bad tube in the power section, or rectifier tube if it has them. Most amps don't blow fuses when preamp tubes fail.
Usually it is best to have a qualified person bias the amp when installing new power tubes. New tubes and a tech biasing the amp can add several hundred dollars to the purchase price.

It is important to really do your research on specific brands and models. For instance. On Mesa Boogie amps. There is no way to bias the amps. The amps are made to be used with their pre biased tubes or another brand of bias matched set of tubes. There usually isn't any bias adjustment on a Class A amplifier either.

Maybe wait and watch for a little bit. This tube issue may cause some people to dump their tube amps cheap and exchange them for Kemper and other alternatives. It is possible some great deals will start showing up.

Best of luck.
Thanks for all your help!!!

User avatar
_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 5784
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by _xxx_ » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:44 pm

In such a case, a competent tech who can fix that will charge you his time and you'll end up paying almost the same amount you need for a new one. It could be just a faulty tube, but it could also be something much worse/more expensive. Bad deal.

If you can't fix it yourself, just get an amp that works fine from the get go.

User avatar
80sChris
Kramer Kommander
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:24 pm

Re: 5150 Iconic combo

Post by 80sChris » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:26 pm

_xxx_ wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:44 pm If you can't fix it yourself, just get an amp that works fine from the get go.
This^

Post Reply