New '21 Kramer "The 84" Factory mutilated

Discussions about Kramer Guitars in general.
80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Re: New '21 Kramer "The 84" Factory mutilated

Post by 80sChris » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:47 pm

Check out the cavity on the blue Sports Pacer body:

viewtopic.php?t=4336

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:53 pm

This was the actual body the original 1984 was copied from.

https://www.kramerforumz.com/viewtopic.php?t=2404

Kramers
Kramer Maniac

Post by Kramers » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:07 pm

SWANTECH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:18 pm The removal, and lack of wood in this are will make it very likely for the wood to crack and break between the hole for the tremolo block, post hole, and/or hum bucking pickup routing.
If it were so likely, wouldn't we have heard about at least ONE case of this ever happening with this guitar model by now? How are we determining likelihood? Hypothetically or with empirical evidence? I think it's much more likely that OP's guitar will be absolutely fine, but that's just me.

In fact, I own a :chainsaw body that someone DID remove so much wood that it entered the humbucker route (actually, a giant swimming pool route). I've had it set up with 13s before, tuned standard, abused, and it's perfectly fine in every way. Sure, that's an anecdote, but so are stories of strong arming a decked squire. Anything will break if you put enough muscle into it.

Nice find 80sChris! :yourock

The guitar isn't absolutely MUTILATED, nor DESIMATED, nor asinine. Non-Recessed trem + short block = more clearance needed. Nothing new here. shrug

Doober 85

Post by Doober 85 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:51 pm

Sluggy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 am
Pcruis1 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:08 am
Sluggy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:12 am I didn’t need a trem stopper I just lowered my action on mine.

Isn't the FR plate supposed to be parallel wtih the body?
I guess in a perfect world it would be. I could make it parallel by lowering it just a smidge more but when I did that I got a buzzing so I left it where it is now. You should’ve seen the $1000 EVH Wolfgang Special I had. The front of the Floyd was way up and the rear was against the body making it dive only. And actually my 84 was that way to until I lowered it some.
The beauty of a Floyd Rose floating bridge system is that it CAN be perfect if you know more about how it works. That plate can be level if you learn how to use a trem stopper. And using the right trem stopper will not take away the ability to pull up on the bar if you wish to let it remain "floating". All FR systems are somewhat "incomplete" mechanical systems without a trem stopper component (they should come standard) because once you learn more about how the FR system works, no matter how you prefer your tremolo, they all need to be set up, tuned and intonated while that plate is level with the body. period. If you have fret buzz when the plate is parallel, then you likely need to check neck bow and make a truss rod adjustment and / or level a high fret. By just turning the claw screws in the back to pivot the plate on it's 2 razor fulcrums, your just masking your guitar's neck issues and aren't really enjoying the top performance your FR system and guitar are capable of. Once I discovered this for myself there simply isn't any other palatable option. Good Luck and All the Best

Pcruis1
Kramer Kommander

Post by Pcruis1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:03 pm

Like most of you, I have used just about everything related to a trem stopper... The tremelo-no; the mag lok, a piece of wood, a screw and a brass L bracket, etc. etc. I have never had an issue floating and properly setting up a FR without a trem stopper. I'm not a huge Floyd guy because I like to use a lot of tunings, but the beauty of the FR is that you can set it up, whank the shit out of it, and it stays in tune. No other trem can do that - at least none that I have tried.
:whistle

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:09 pm

Baseplate level with the *strings*, not the body. Body would be a bad reference for any arched top guitar for example...

Pcruis1
Kramer Kommander

Post by Pcruis1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:09 am

_xxx_ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:09 pm Baseplate level with the *strings*, not the body. Body would be a bad reference for any arched top guitar for example...
Good point. I don't have any arch tops with a floyd so I have always used the body as my reference point.

Doober 85

Post by Doober 85 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:35 pm

SWANTECH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:30 pm I don't understand people buying a Floyd Rose guitar and then blocking the tremolo. If they are setup correctly the function amazingly well.
I guess I was so bummed because I wanted to gig with this axe. It wasn't going to hang on the wall in a den and displayed with a collection. If you play your Floyd Rose equipped guitar as frequently as I do (and be your own tech) - you have to change strings A LOT. Each time this is done, as I'm sure you're aware - a setup of sorts is required. It's not like other guitars that retain the benefits of a setup for several months. I set my Floyd up to float, always. The entire point of, for me anyway, of using the trem stop IS to facilitate CORRECT SETUP - efficiently and quickly. You can stick shit in there (stack of picks, pieces of wood, whatever) but with a simple L bracket and screw device installed correctly, there is never any guess work and it speeds the entire process up considerably. I don't have to keep track of some ghetto solution / extra object to search for in the tool bag . Adam at FU tone gets it, and so does his clientele - who are mostly pro techs and working pro players. One of them was EVH himself. Oh yeah, Adam invented the D-Tuna too. Check out his story and his stuff sometime, like this totally bad ass brass tone block here. It DOES make a difference.

Kramers
Kramer Maniac

Post by Kramers » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:33 pm

Doober 85 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:35 pm If you play your Floyd Rose equipped guitar as frequently as I do (and be your own tech) - you have to change strings A LOT. Each time this is done, as I'm sure you're aware - a setup of sorts is required. It's not like other guitars that retain the benefits of a setup for several months.
Why would you do a setup each time you change you strings? The only part of the bridge system that would need adjusting with time would be the trem springs, but they take much longer to wear out than a set of strings. scratch_head

I like those big brass blocks too. I'd recommend the ones from ebay user "hoockey." It's the same quality brass as FU without the big markup. :thumbs

…just a heads up, the big blocks are a real love/hate thing here, and this is basically Floyd Rose central because of the history with Kramer. We're all very aware of everything FR, as well as very opinionated lol.

Have any more pics of that snakeskin guitar? Whatcha got there?

Pcruis1
Kramer Kommander

Post by Pcruis1 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:50 am

Doober 85 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:35 pm
SWANTECH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:30 pm I don't understand people buying a Floyd Rose guitar and then blocking the tremolo. If they are setup correctly the function amazingly well.
I guess I was so bummed because I wanted to gig with this axe. It wasn't going to hang on the wall in a den and displayed with a collection. If you play your Floyd Rose equipped guitar as frequently as I do (and be your own tech) - you have to change strings A LOT. Each time this is done, as I'm sure you're aware - a setup of sorts is required. It's not like other guitars that retain the benefits of a setup for several months. I set my Floyd up to float, always.

Your picture, with that big block and the trem stopper isn't set up to float. Do you back the screw off after you set it up? If so, you have like an 1/8 of an inch to pull up because of that block. My one experience with those blocks was not good. Could have been the type of tone wood, I'm not sure, but it changed the feel of the guitar, changed the weight balance, changed the tone, and made it unplayable. YMMV