DMZ 2000 pickup question

Discussion about your favorite aluminum necked beast.
Lephty

DMZ 2000 pickup question

Post by Lephty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Hey folks, first post here...I searched around and couldn't seem to find a good answer, so hoping I can find some help here. I recently picked up a '79 DMZ 2000, in amazingly good condition. Very psyched to have found a left-handed model...us lefties don't get our hands on vintage axes too often. I have a few nice guitars, but this is easily the weirdest and coolest in my collection.

My questions are about the pickups and the toggle switches. I'm pretty sure the pups are the original Dual Sound pups that were originally in the guitar. I have no idea if previous owners have messed with the electronics. There are 2 toggles, and I'll refer to them as "neck side" and "bridge side." Both toggle switches seem to affect the neck pickup--the neck side toggle is presumably just splitting the coils. But what is the bridge side toggle doing to this pickup?

And then, adding to my confusion...the neck side toggle seems to split the coils on the bridge pickup too, but the bridge side toggle doesn't affect the bridge pickup at all.

Can anyone clue me in on this? I am loving the variety of tones I can get out of this guitar, but would like to have a better understanding of what is actually happening.

RockStringBender
Kramer Maniac

DMZ 2000 pickup question

Post by RockStringBender » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 pm

check your wiring and see if it matches these diagrams

https://www.google.com/search?q=kramer+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Also squirt a tiny bit of WD40 into the pots and switches at the post side stems and flip them around

My 2000 started acting weird around 1983-4 and my first fix try was getting the rusty dusty deployed

I also found the little capacitor or transistor or whatever the f that resister is was grounding to one of the leads later on in it's life and that really weirded the tap coils out

Check the diagrams- if everything looks good you may have a switch or pot that is dieing
The rotation of the Earth really makes my day

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

DMZ 2000 pickup question

Post by sixstring » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 am

Welcome. Hope this helps

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

DMZ 2000 pickup question

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 am

The switch is for parallel/series (and maybe coil tap, if it's a 3-way).

Bridge pup should be what is nowadays named Super3, neck should be the current Super Distortion.

Lephty

DMZ 2000 pickup question

Post by Lephty » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks guys...I don't know jack about guitar wiring, but these diagrams seem pretty readable to me, so here's my chance to learn. Very psyched about this guitar!

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

DMZ 2000 pickup question

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:39 pm

Correction, looks like "just" a coil tap in the schematic above. If you use a similar-sized 3-way on/on/on switch, you can wire it for parallel/series/coil tap for more variety.