Studio monitor help.

Discussion about guitar setup, repair, and other technical issues
Sluggy
Kramer Maniac

Re: Studio monitor help.

Post by Sluggy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:24 am

Full Bug wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:34 pm I have a PAIR of Headrush FRFR 108's. Use them as my WDW wet cabs. They are versatile as hell. Can also use as stage floor monitors, modeling rig speakers, PA Speakers etc. They aren't gonna run Friedman out of business but for the price and what I use them for they are great.

For desk monitoring I have a pair of 6-1/2" JBL 306P MKII monitors that I like well enough. Preferred the Yamaha 8" but these were on sale at Sweetwater for a killer deal at the time so grabbed them.

Sluggy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:07 pm Any thoughts on one of these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ar-cabinet
I think I’m gonna go with the FRFR 108’s as well. I don’t do any recording, mixing or anything it’s just for me to Jam in my basement.😀

Pcruis1
Kramer Kommander

Post by Pcruis1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:10 am

Sluggy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:24 am
Full Bug wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:34 pm I have a PAIR of Headrush FRFR 108's. Use them as my WDW wet cabs. They are versatile as hell. Can also use as stage floor monitors, modeling rig speakers, PA Speakers etc. They aren't gonna run Friedman out of business but for the price and what I use them for they are great.

For desk monitoring I have a pair of 6-1/2" JBL 306P MKII monitors that I like well enough. Preferred the Yamaha 8" but these were on sale at Sweetwater for a killer deal at the time so grabbed them.

Sluggy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:07 pm Any thoughts on one of these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ar-cabinet
I think I’m gonna go with the FRFR 108’s as well. I don’t do any recording, mixing or anything it’s just for me to Jam in my basement.😀
I hate to do this to you..... I went through the same thing a few months ago. Picked up a boss gx100. Playing through headphones was incredible. Picked up the frfr to go with it after doing a bunch of research. Honestly, I'm not thrilled with it. It's still ok as a monitor or a PA, but not great at what it's marketed for. I'd give it 3 stars at most out of 5
:whistle

Sluggy
Kramer Maniac

Post by Sluggy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:32 am

Pcruis1 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:10 am

I hate to do this to you..... I went through the same thing a few months ago. Picked up a boss gx100. Playing through headphones was incredible. Picked up the frfr to go with it after doing a bunch of research. Honestly, I'm not thrilled with it. It's still ok as a monitor or a PA, but not great at what it's marketed for. I'd give it 3 stars at most out of 5
Dam,,, 😂

Well, I guess I’ll keep irons in the fire and some more research. shrug

Pcruis1
Kramer Kommander

Post by Pcruis1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 am

Sluggy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:32 am
Pcruis1 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:10 am

Dam,,, 😂

Well, I guess I’ll keep irons in the fire and some more research. shrug
The FRFR is not bad. The problem I've had with it is that it doesn't replicate the tone and clarity I get through headphones. Instead it comes out a little muddy. The tone is not tight. It's hard to describe, but I used it once with a band and ditched it after a few songs, and went back to my amp with no effects. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I wanted to let you know my experience because it sounds like you are after exactly what I was after: a speaker to match the tone you are getting through headphones. In my experience, the FRFR will not to do that.
Now what I'm doing is using the Boss GX 100 for practice (through headphones), and for the occasional times I play out (I just go straight to PA from the Boss). The FRFR is sitting in my jam room unused! Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and offered to sell it to you shrug
:whistle