Stainless Frets

Discussion about amplifiers, effects, speakers, pickups, and other elektronics
Full Bug
Kramer Maniac

Stainless Frets

Post by Full Bug » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:14 am

SO I had Warmoth put in their Stainless pyramid frets (6115 I believe) in two necks last year. I can't stand them. I can hear a pinging type ghost noise thru the amp. Anyone else notice tone weirdness with stainless frets? It is bizarre.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Re: Stainless Frets

Post by _xxx_ » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:56 am

You get more treble with steel frets, not a huge difference though. Could it be something else, like say too low action? Using an alu pickguard or such? What does the rest of the guitar look like?

I have three guitars with steel frets and have no such issues, that 5% more treble is audible but other than that, all fine. Better for bending, less friction than regular frets.

SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin

Post by SWANTECH » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:30 am

Agree with XXX.

It is winter and necks move. I would check the neck and the action. Necks are supposed to have a little relief for guitars and basses to function correctly.

Maybe also check pickup heights. I have seen pickup height screws get loose and rise making the pickup touch the strings. The nut may also need to be looked at. It could be too low. Saddle screws. Check all the normal stuff twice.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nightswan Holoflash
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Duckling
19 Nightswan Polka Dot
88 Stagemaster T Blue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
86 Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
89 Pacer Cst 2 Blk
91 Baretta 3 Blk Cherry
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 blue
01 Music Yo Explorer
89 Baretta 2 FF red

forrend

Post by forrend » Thu May 09, 2024 5:36 am

It's possible that the issue could be related to the setup of your guitar, such as string action, neck relief, or intonation. Even small adjustments to these factors can sometimes affect the way the strings interact with the frets and produce different tonal characteristics. :hit

lespauled
Kramer Kommander

Post by lespauled » Thu May 09, 2024 12:12 pm

Sounds like either the nut is too low, your action is too low, causing the string to hit other frets. I have a guitar with SS frets, and there is the slightest bit of difference. Nothing that would cause the issues you state.
"Women and music...I'm always amazed at other people's choices" - David Lee Roth

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Thu May 09, 2024 5:42 pm

forrend wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:36 am It's possible that the issue could be related to the setup of your guitar, such as string action, neck relief, or intonation. Even small adjustments to these factors can sometimes affect the way the strings interact with the frets and produce different tonal characteristics. :hit
ChatGPT again? scratch_head shrug

Kramers
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Kramers » Mon May 20, 2024 3:21 pm

_xxx_ wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:42 pm
forrend wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:36 am It's possible that the issue could be related to the setup of your guitar, such as string action, neck relief, or intonation. Even small adjustments to these factors can sometimes affect the way the strings interact with the frets and produce different tonal characteristics. :hit
ChatGPT again? scratch_head shrug
Prepare for battle comrade.

7-Pointies, 4-Bananas of sorts, 2-Hockey Sticks, 1-Open Book(?)