GFI ENIEQMA pedal

Discussion about amplifiers, effects, speakers, pickups, and other elektronics
lespauled
Kramer Kommander

GFI ENIEQMA pedal

Post by lespauled » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:59 pm

For years, I have been recording guitars and using various parametric EQs in my DAW to EQ out any weird frequencies. The main way I found the frequencies was to set the Q very narrow, and put the gain to around the max, then sweep the EQ band to find any frequencies that are “whistling”. Then I simply EQ them out. Sometimes there are a multiple bands, and sometimes they are close together.

I’ve always wished that there was a Parametric EQ that would do more than a few Parametric EQ pedals that I saw that give you 3 bands, high, mid, and low, with a frequency and Q options.

After watching a bunch of videos, I decided to give the GFI Enieqma EQ a try. I have used many EQs over the years, and expected the Enieqma to be a pretty easy pedal to master.

My first attempt to use the pedal was overwhelming. I actually had to watch a video on how to use it, even for its basic functions.

Every day that I have been using it, I found more and more functionality that makes this so much more than I original thought. The pedal has 2 foot switches. One for the EQ, and the other for the built in boost. You can simply use it as a boost pedal if you wish. Note that the boost occurs after the EQ.

The Parametric EQ gives you 5 bands and allows you to choose from high pass, bell, low pass, low shelving, and high shelving for each band. Each band gives you the option to change the frequency and the Q (with of the band).

Simple EQ gives you 7 built-in options: 3 that emulate the tonestacks of Fender, Marshall, or Vox amps. The other 4 options are Bass & Treble, Wah, Tilt, and Scooped Tilt.

The Pulteq EQ mode is an emulation of the classic Pultec* MEQ‐5 Midrange EQ processor. It’s basically a 3 band parametric EQ without the ability to change the Q of each band.

The pedal is actually 2 EQs in one pedal. The pedal has 3 modes: stereo in/stereo out, mono in/stereo out, stereo in/mono out. Using the stereo in/stereo out mode, you can create separate EQ channels, left to one EQ, right to another.

You can run a parametric EQ, Simple EQ, Pulteq EQ, ParaEQ+SimpleEQ, ParaEQ+PilteqEQ on each channel. So, in some settings, you actually have 2 EQs per channel, thus 4 EQs.

Using a 2 guitar cable to TRS splitter, you can create separate inputs. I use it for one channel before the preamp, and the other channel in the FX loop of the amplifier. Using the separate channels, you can use anything pre-something, and post-something in the other channels. Another option is to use it with any other pedals, the EQ pre-pedals on one channel and post-pedals.

The ability to use one pedal for pre-preamp and also in the FX loop, alone is a game changer. The fact that it’s a Parametric EQ with 5 bands brings your tone shaping to another level.

The pedal also has a Limiter and Stereo Expander that you can enable in your presets.

There are Prototypes built into the unit. Prototypes are built-in EQ settings that you can use as your starting point for your own custom EQ presets. You select a Prototype and tweak the EQ settings to your liking and store them in a custom preset. Prototypes are built-in starting points, and the prototypes themselves cannot be edited.

The pedal has midi in and out, so you can use a separate Midi pedal to drive functions of the Enieqma. If your midi device has plug for expression pedals, you can us the expression pedal to act as a custom wah pedal.

Positives:
Incredible tone shaping options. On board Boost, Limiter, and Stereo Expander

Negatives:
No expression pedal input. You need to use an external midi controller with an expression pedal connection.

Overall:
This is the pedal most guitarists needed, if they knew it or not. The incredible amount of tone shaping options, right on your pedalboard, is amazing. My only gripe with it is the lack of an expression pedal input. Maybe they ran out of room to fit one? In any case, that was a misstep in my opinion.
"Women and music...I'm always amazed at other people's choices" - David Lee Roth