RIP Chuck Miller of Holy Smoke & Detroit Legend.

Honoring forum members who have passed.
SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin

RIP Chuck Miller of Holy Smoke & Detroit Legend.

Post by SWANTECH » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:07 pm

I found out yesterday that my friend of over 30 years Chuck Miller passed away.

Chuck Miller was a musician and guitarist in the Detriot music scene for at least 60 years. EVERYONE in Detroit knew Chuck Miller. He had a few bands. Most notably the band Holy Smoke he founded, and Miller'z Killer'z. They played with almost everyone in the late 60's 70's 80's and 90's.
He worked at many local Detroit music stores in many rolls in his life. He was the first person in Detroit to have a full Midi Recording Studio.
In 1995 he was a founding employee of the first ever Detroit Guitar Center. At this time there were only around 20 Guitar Center's in the entire USA. He quickly became the Keyboard Manager with his vast knowledge of keyboards, software, and recording he helped everyone in Detroit. Everyone asked for Chuck and if he wasn't at available people would just leave the store and come back later. Chuck Miller was the Einstein/Doc Brown of the Detroit music scene for decades. I had the pleasure to be his friend, and co-worker for 24 years. You could not not learn something from Chuck Miller. He was soft spoken, kind, and highly passionate about all music and helping people make music. I remember all the great times like selling Bob Seger his Les Paul with you.
He was also a hell of a guitar player and loved playing out live with his band. They opened for hundreds of the best bands to come through Detroit in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's. You name the rock band, Chuck Miller and Holy Smoke probably opened the show for them. To hear those rock n roll stories from Chuck was amazing and usually hilarious. Like how the Yard Birds opened shows for Holy Smoke.

Here's to all the crazy, out right insane, fun, moments we shared at GC my brother. I will miss you and your amazing Rock N Roll stories. You are a FKNG Legend my friend. I grieve with all Detroit Musician's this week. Rest in Peace. I will see you on the other side one day for beer and good GC madcap memories. You Rocked all the way through your life, I know your Rocking now in the next.

Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nightswan Holoflash
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Duckling
19 Nightswan Polka Dot
88 Stagemaster T Blue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
86 Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
89 Pacer Cst 2 Blk
91 Baretta 3 Blk Cherry
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 blue
01 Music Yo Explorer
89 Baretta 2 FF red

SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin

Re: RIP Chuck Miller of Holy Smoke & Detroit Legend.

Post by SWANTECH » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:25 pm

I have heard he even taught John 5 guitar. His impact on music was huge.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nightswan Holoflash
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Duckling
19 Nightswan Polka Dot
88 Stagemaster T Blue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Blk