neck angle on 2023 striker... someone help me out.

Discussion about the newer Kramer Guitars by the Gibson Guitar Corporation
kaylakent
Kramer Maniac

neck angle on 2023 striker... someone help me out.

Post by kaylakent » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:15 pm

brand new striker, has this crazy angle at the neck joint that has over 3mm higher action at the 24th fret than the 12th fret. with the truss rod and floyd situated where the strings dont buzz on the first frets, it's got a whopping 7mm of distance between the strings and fretboard.

wtf.

is this supposed to be this way? manufacturing defect? i dont know if theres any way this can be fixed by me if its not a truss rod thing.

SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin

Re: neck angle on 2023 striker... someone help me out.

Post by SWANTECH » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:40 pm

Looks like the neck was installed wrong OR the 2 neck screws closest to the head stock stripped out.
I used to see this often. When you unpack thousands of guitars from the factory. It probably happened being banged around in shipping.

If the neck mounting screw holes are not totally stripped out. You can try this fix first.
Loosen the strings till they are slack. Back out all the screws about a 1/4 inch with a Phillips head screw driver. While squeezing the neck into the neck pocket till it is flush. Screw in the top screws closest to the head stock. Then tighten the lower screws.
The neck should rest evenly in the pocket once all the screws are re-tightened.

If the neck shifts back to where it is in your pic, or even raises a little after you tune it back up. Then the neck mounting holes in the heel of the neck are stripped and will need to be doweled and re-drilled.

Hope this helps.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nightswan Holoflash
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Duckling
19 Nightswan Polka Dot
88 Stagemaster T Blue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
86 Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
89 Pacer Cst 2 Blk
91 Baretta 3 Blk Cherry
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 blue
01 Music Yo Explorer
89 Baretta 2 FF red

Kramers
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Kramers » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:12 am

If it's not an issue like swan is referring to, I'd pull the neck and check the neck pocket for any shims or lack there of. Could also inspect the neck pocket and neck heel at this point just to rule out an unlikely depth inconsistency or something, just to cover everything. Otherwise, it looks like it would likely benefit from a shim on the body side of the neck pocket. Might take a couple tries for the right thickness. Then another full set up if all else is kosher.
7-Pointies, 4-Bananas of sorts, 2-Hockey Sticks, 1-Open Book(?)

kaylakent
Kramer Maniac

Post by kaylakent » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:17 am

i think i mightve figured it out. the truss rod is stiff as a mfer. i really muscled it in the tighter direction and the neck has straightened out at least to the point where 90% of the frets are now properly set for string action. but theres still that drop in the 24 fret area as pictured...

idk. this is gonna be a pretty big bullet point in my review. but even with this, its still not worse than the jackson dka dinky js32 i got to compare it with.... holy shit.

Kramers
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Kramers » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:10 am

I'd definitely check the neck straightness with a straight edge to help confirm what's going on as well. If nothing else this should help pinpoint the start of a potential drop off point and how gradual it is, if it's indeed that. Not doubting you, just neck and action issues can be tricky to diagnose without the guitar in a person's hands and/or full board measurements with pictures of straight edges and all that, for the full picture. Helps to see the patient.

edit:
kaylakent wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:17 amthe truss rod is stiff as a mfer.
...in a retirement home?? :whistle

(caught your other joke)

lol
7-Pointies, 4-Bananas of sorts, 2-Hockey Sticks, 1-Open Book(?)

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:50 am

Press the string on the first and last fret and check if there is any relief. If not, untighten the truss rod until there is some (like half a mm at the 8th fret). If the end of the fretboard still has that slope, then it's simply twisted and needs some work.