Beak ID?

Discussion about the identification of Kramer Guitars and Kramer history
tire_man_dan
Kramer Maniac

Re: Beak ID?

Post by tire_man_dan » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:26 pm

Sports beaks (the 3 that I have) have a thicker "slab" style rosewood board with white plastic dots on the board & aluminum side dots. Sports beaks do indeed have a stubbier shaped headstock than the ESP beaks. They also have full length Floyd shelves. They are all 1 3/4" wide at the nut, with a thinner D shaped profile. Also - the dead giveaway is that they are oil finished.

If I recall correctly, the rosewood ESP beaks (USA and Focus) have a veneer style rosewood board with 50/50 white side markers and MOP face dots. There are later ESP beaks for the American Classic I, II, and III series - these have full length Floyd shelves.

As far as the neck plates used, my Sports necks all use the wider neck plates, My Pacer ESP beaks use the narrow plates.

Remember, the early Pacers and their ESP sourced necks had a vintage Fender vibe - the fewer screws in the pickguards, the narrow 1 5/8" (R2) nut width - these were not shredder necks. They are a thicker C shaped neck, and fill your hand - very different from the later banana and pointy necks. They also had a much rounder fingerboard radius, which did cause set up issues when the Floyds started becoming standard equipment.

That being said, I love them. They are comfy and are great quality necks.

tire_man_dan
Kramer Maniac

Post by tire_man_dan » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:13 pm

Also, I forgot - American beaks were usually cleared - except for the Carrera models, which were painted black. Some oil finished ESP American beaks had no finish on the headstock. The original Focus beaks usually had headstocks painted body color. Look at the tuner holes for colored overspray.

antonn
Kramer Maniac

Post by antonn » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:13 pm

One of my ESP Focus neck has a 2/3 nut shelf, a very thin fretboard, MOP inlays and 90 degrees tuners.
My other (VERY early) ESP Focus has a full sized nut shelf, a very thin fretboard, MOT (full white) inlays and 90 degres tuners.

Also, don't forget about the Matsumoku made Focus series, they have a thicker fretboard, a bit different headstock shape (longer?) and full sized nut shelf.

Vince
Kramer Maniac

Post by Vince » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:01 am

antonn wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:13 pm One of my ESP Focus neck has a 2/3 nut shelf, a very thin fretboard, MOP inlays and 90 degrees tuners.
My other (VERY early) ESP Focus has a full sized nut shelf, a very thin fretboard, MOT (full white) inlays and 90 degres tuners.

Also, don't forget about the Matsumoku made Focus series, they have a thicker fretboard, a bit different headstock shape (longer?) and full sized nut shelf.
Hello antonn.
Can you please confirm the features of your Focus necks. Are they both ESP beaks? I have done a LOT of research on these and your necks as described above seem to be outliers.
From my knowledge, the earliest ESP beak necks (Globe Logo six-digit plate) were thick, constant C-shaped neck; hex socket truss adjustment; mother-of-pearl inlays; full nutlock shelf; half-round string retainer bar; San Dimas-style unbranded Gotoh tuners with 90-degree screw lug. The later (second-run) ESP beak necks (5-digit plate) thinner profile neck; Philips head truss-rod adjustment; white fretboard inlays; narrow 2/3 nutlock shelf; round string retainer bar; unbranded Gotoh tuners with 135-degree screw lugs.

antonn
Kramer Maniac

Post by antonn » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:00 am

Vince wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:01 am Hello antonn.
Can you please confirm the features of your Focus necks. Are they both ESP beaks? I have done a LOT of research on these and your necks as described above seem to be outliers.
From my knowledge, the earliest ESP beak necks (Globe Logo six-digit plate) were thick, constant C-shaped neck; hex socket truss adjustment; mother-of-pearl inlays; full nutlock shelf; half-round string retainer bar; San Dimas-style unbranded Gotoh tuners with 90-degree screw lug. The later (second-run) ESP beak necks (5-digit plate) thinner profile neck; Philips head truss-rod adjustment; white fretboard inlays; narrow 2/3 nutlock shelf; round string retainer bar; unbranded Gotoh tuners with 135-degree screw lugs.

Yes, I'm positive that both are ESP. Matsumoko and Sports look very different.

The neck with smaller nut shelf and MOP-inlays has a "Kramer Pacer Series" decal and would probably pass as a US neck if it wasn't for the wider Focus-bolt pattern at the heel and not the narrow US-pattern. It's marked "F 630" at the heel and came with a CAR Focus 2000 body with a barell style output jack and neckplate serial 25691. I'm very sure that this guitar is a MUTT based on the higher serialnumber but early Focus body, Might even be resprayed.

The second Focus neck with full sized nut and MOT (mother of toiletseat = white) inlays came with a white Focus 2000 body with barell style output jack and neckplate 000407. I have no reason to belive this body, neck and neckplate don't belong together.
The neck has a very thick C-shape profile, my other Focus beak is a bit thinner but I would not call it "thin" by any means.

Both have 90° tuners and as far as I remember the MOP-inlay neck has a philips head, not sure about the MOT-inlay neck right now.
I can try to upload some photos later if you're interested?

matt3846
Kramer Maniac

Post by matt3846 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:44 am

There is another era of Focus neck that I’ve only seen in the 04xxx - 05xxx range.

By KRAMER headstock logo.
Nut overhang.
90 degree tuners.
Thin fretboard.
Mother of pearl fret dots.
Shaded Kramer logo on neckplate.
Philips truss rod adjust.
Shallower neck pocket than earlier Foci.
Jack plate.

Here are pics of mine, which I bought fully complete, but for some reason years ago I moved its hardware onto another guitar. Plan to put it back to normal someday.

Note the ESP business card they used as a shim!
Neck pocket penciled F-400
Also I didn’t take a pic, but the neck heel itself has F 688 penciled on it.

antonn
Kramer Maniac

Post by antonn » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:58 am

matt3846 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:44 am There is another era of Focus neck that I’ve only seen in the 04xxx - 05xxx range.

Nut overhang.
90 degree tuners.
Thin fretboard.

That neck is very close to what I got, the only difference I see is that mine says 630 in the heel and has a "pacer series" decal.
Will try to get some photos posted later today or tomorrow.

Very nice guitar BTW!

Vince
Kramer Maniac

Post by Vince » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:24 pm

matt3846 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:44 am There is another era of Focus neck that I’ve only seen in the 04xxx - 05xxx range.

Nut overhang.
90 degree tuners.
Thin fretboard.
Shaded Kramer logo on neckplate.
Philips truss rod adjust.
Shallower neck pocket than earlier Foci.
Jack plate.

Here are pics of mine, which I bought fully complete, but for some reason years ago I moved its hardware onto another guitar. Plan to put it back to normal someday.

daleae
Kramer Maniac

Post by daleae » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:01 pm

Neck restoration complete, (re-fret and re-finish.) Another addition to my Kramer mutt collection. I paired it with a maple trans-red Sports body I got off eBay. The body was already modified with the coil-split / phase-shift button when I bought it. I don’t like the button so I’m gonna swap that out for a coil-split toggle. Thanks again to the help identifying and authenticating this neck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daleae
Kramer Maniac

Post by daleae » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:47 am

daleae wrote:Neck restoration complete, (re-fret and re-finish.) Another addition to my Kramer mutt collection. I paired it with a maple trans-red Sports body I got off eBay. The body was already modified with the coil-split / phase-shift button when I bought it. I don’t like the button so I’m gonna swap that out for a coil-split toggle. Thanks again for the help identifying and authenticating this neck!