My elusive Kramer Pacer Blue Pipe

Discussions about Kramer guitars gone but not forgotten
ERose50

My elusive Kramer Pacer Blue Pipe

Post by ERose50 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:54 pm

Around 1988, I bought my first guitar, a Kramer Pacer Blue Pipe (Can't get the image on here for some reason, but the three blue lines that look like a Mercury emblem for the car) I was 15, had worked a summer job and wanted to start playing guitar. I Bought the guitar used for around $500 and my father gifted me a used Crate amplifier to start with. Within a few years I was playing with a drummer friend and we played our HS talent show, we covered Cream's Sleepy Time Time......and the talent show caused a riot in our HS several days Later......long story........but, anyways!!!

I joined the military in 1993 and brought the guitar with me in my new journey. Around 1998-99, I lived in an apartment complex in Las Vegas Nevada, on Sunr
ise Mountain right off of Nelis AFB while I was at my first base. The apartment above me had a horrible water leak that flooded my apartment and I had to leave the apt for a few weeks for maintenance to fix the flooded space. In that time while I was gone, my apartment was robbed and my childhood guitar was stolen. I was cutting my teeth at a local blues club called the Sand Dollar Blues Club under the wing of Al Eck and Junior Brantley who ran the blues night (Junior Brantley is a keyboard player that recorded with Jimmy Vaughan and was on stage with SRV multiple times.....he was so kind to me!!) My heart was broken losing that guitar :(

Around 2017 - 2018, I was a medically retired veteran that was finally going to college in Salt Lake City and had some money saved up. I found the same style of Kramer Pacer Blue Pipe online for around $800. I cried the day it was delivered to me....opened the box and held it in my arms and bawled while a friend comforted me. I had my guitar back!

In 2018 I took a very emotional move to Oregon, just had to get out of Utah. Things seemed to line up for me to have a place to move too and I was starting a new life, at the age of 45 years old. But life fools us sometimes and I couldn't get my feet to land firmly in Oregon, lost a few jobs and quickly had to sell gear to survive......and my Kramer was the last I had. I had to make rent my last few months there and I finally had to rush to get money to make rent. I ran to a pawn store last second, before they closed and sold my Kramer for $300 to get rent money.......I was rock bottom and extremely broken heated to lose the guitar again.

I made it back to Utah, with help from Family and Friends and have been here since early 2019. I wonder if I will get to a place where I can once again get my childhood guitar back. Maybe someday ask Gibson to make a replica for me. But now, the same guitar is going for Thousands of dollars.....I found one that is over $7000. Wow......why has that specific guitar gone so crazy in it's price!!!!

I only hope for life to improve, for the day that I can once again have my Kramer Pacer Blue Pipe on stage again!!

Takemebackto84
Kramer Kingpin

Re: My elusive Kramer Pacer Blue Pipe

Post by Takemebackto84 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:12 am

ERose50 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:54 pm But now, the same guitar is going for Thousands of dollars.....I found one that is over $7000. Wow......why has that specific guitar gone so crazy in it's price!!!!

I only hope for life to improve, for the day that I can once again have my Kramer Pacer Blue Pipe on stage again!!
$7k is way overpriced - probably 3 or 4 x the value depending on what the guitars is like (condition / all original etc).

To upload pics go to https://imgbb.com and upload then post the links here either by clicking on the image button and posting the link in the middle or getting a full link with the "img" and "/img" code brackets [ ] around it.

Was your guitar like this >> https://centaurguitar.com/products/kram ... ntage-1982

1983 Pacer Special - Rainbow
1984 Baretta White
1985 Baretta Cream
1985 Baretta Cream maple fretboard
1985 Baretta Black Custom Plate
1985 Baretta Cream Custom Plate w. added single pickup
1988 Baretta I Claw White
1988 Nightswan Blue Sparkle
1989 Ibanez Jem777DY Desert Sun Yellow
1989 Ibanez Jem77FP
1991 Ibanez Jem777VBK
1992 EBMM EVH Trans Red
2007 Yamaha Pacifica 1511MS Mike Stern
2010 Jackson USA PC-1 Trans Red Flame
2012 Suhr Modern Koa Reb Beach Spec

Dirty D
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Dirty D » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:12 am

Incoming NBD, due later this week. Fingers crossed everything is in good order as seller claims.
Never recall seeing a graphic Duke before, so glad I was able to snag this, and at a good price.
I agree that graphic is one of my favorites.

If you're going through hell, keep going... -Winston Churchill

Karma, justice, whatever you call it... It's really there, just keep looking for it. -Kevn Kinney

Classic II Tele seafoam green
DMZ 6000G from Bob Corson
buncha others from mints to mutts
some lumies & Spectors
buncha projects that'll eventually get done
some that won't
Bastard childs:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

Dirty D
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Dirty D » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:25 am

To OP, it wouldn't be original, but the guy who painted those, George Felise, is known to some of us and is easy enough to get in touch with. If you don't find an original at a fair price, you could use any period-correct Pacer and have it repainted. I don't now if George has access to a paint shop at this time, but reportedly he's involved with a new guitar-related project of some type cooking right now with Vaccaro, so it's possible. There are other guys who can replicate that graphic too. I imagine you'd prefer an original, but it's an available potential plan B.

Karma, justice, whatever you call it... It's really there, just keep looking for it. -Kevn Kinney

some lumies & Spectors
some that won't
Bastard childs:

Dirty D
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Dirty D » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:35 am

Interestingly, coincidentally, I found that bass for sale in Las Vegas.

some lumies & Spectors
some that won't
Bastard childs:

AAEA
Kramer Kingpin

Post by AAEA » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:40 am

I've seen some dukes with graphics, pretty rare one. Have yet to mess with any of the dukes. seems cool but I would probably need to find one at crazy deal or at least be able to play one before going for it.
I own kramers :mrgreen

Dirty D
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Dirty D » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:35 am

It's a niche instrument for sure, but cool in many ways. Provides many of the positive attributes of the lumie basses but without the heavy weight breaking your back. The main downside to me is the medium scale, 32" IIRC, so the strings are slinkier and thus more prone to rattling when you hammer on the thing. It's a great conversation starter though, maybe even more so than a regular lumie.

some lumies & Spectors
some that won't
Bastard childs:

Tavo7782
Kramer Maniac

Post by Tavo7782 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:10 am

Dirty D wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:35 am Interestingly, coincidentally, I found that bass for sale in Las Vegas.
I missed out on this one here. I found the dude online and he brought it to LA when he was visiting family. That weekend though we were unable to meet up and missed out. Looks nice, the bent pipes was definitely a big selling point for me. Nice price too. Enjoy!
Lightning Swan
Baretta II dinky Snakeskin
Baretta I Pyramid Eye Graphic
Baretta II dinky FF White
Stagey Standard I FF Red
Stagey Custom I Electric Blue
Condor Graphic
89 Imperial Holo’d
Proaxe Standard Sparkle Black
Sustainer Reverse Claw FF Red
PCII Maple board Magenta
A few others that rotate

lonewolfsx
Kramer Kommander

Post by lonewolfsx » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:24 am

Takemebackto84 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:12 am $7k is way overpriced - probably 3 or 4 x the value depending on what the guitars is like (condition / all original etc).

Was your guitar like this >> https://centaurguitar.com/products/kram ... ntage-1982

I own that guitar, bought it from Centaur directly over the phone. Not sure if it's the same one as OP's but it's in the same general region. It's in my top 2 Kramers, alongside another nearly identical playing/sounding brass trem brown burst from the same year. I love my floyds, I love my pointies, but just as OP said, those will be the last two I ever let go of, they just have something to them I can't describe but I play those two all the time and they really speak to me.

(That said, no way I'd pay $7k for one, that's ridiculous)