Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Discussion about the newer Kramer Guitars by the Gibson Guitar Corporation
lespauled
Kramer Maniac

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by lespauled » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 am

For many years, I've been playing through an Eleven Rack wityh a few select patches, which was probably hiding this issue that I am currently having.

After I moved to the Atomic Amplifire, I noticed that when I used my Black/White bullseye Baretta, and I used the volume know to turn down the volume, the sound got real "nasally". I have several other guitars with the JB(TB) in it, and checked those guitars, and this is the only guitar with this issue.

I figured it was something with the pot being wired wrong from the factory, so I looked up the schematic at the SD site.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content ... VppSPL.pdf

Then, I opened the Baretta, and the wiring was completely different. There was even a capacitor in the mix. I'm considering just changing the wiring to the above, but I really love the full volume sound, and am a little concerned about changing it.

Anyone else have an 84 reissue? Does the wiring match the Duncan site? Do you have the same issue when pulling back on the guitar volume?
"Women and music...I'm always amazed at other people's choices" - David Lee Roth

PsychoCid
Kramer Maniac

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by PsychoCid » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:42 am

Wait so do you have a "1984" model guitar or do you have a Baretta?

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by _xxx_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:53 am

Try it and if you don't like it, you can always return it to the previous state shrug

lespauled
Kramer Maniac

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by lespauled » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:59 pm

PsychoCid wrote:Wait so do you have a "1984" model guitar or do you have a Baretta?
One of these (actually 2)

http://www.kramerguitars.com/products/t ... he-84.aspx

"Women and music...I'm always amazed at other people's choices" - David Lee Roth

lespauled
Kramer Maniac

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by lespauled » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am

Figured I would just open it up and check out the existing wiring. It turns out that the wiring was for a series/parallel push pull function. But it sounds no where near as good as the wiring I did for the red/black bullseye. I rewire it to a coil split, and although it sounds much better, it still gets a little "phasey" when rolled all the way back. Next would be to remove the orange cap. If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss.

KickstartMyHeart
Kramer Kingpin

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by KickstartMyHeart » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:46 pm

What you describe is a treble bleed mod. All the late model Kramers have it. Makes only sense when playing live or at least very loud to make the roll-down-cleaning effect work properly. Unsolder the cap or simply cut it if you don't like it.
Practice cures most tone issues.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

lespauled
Kramer Maniac

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by lespauled » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks!!!

lespauled
Kramer Maniac

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by lespauled » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Finally got around to removing the cap, and it was the problem.

Not missing the treble bleed mod at all.

Thanks!!!!

KickstartMyHeart
Kramer Kingpin

Kramer Baretta 84 wiring

Post by KickstartMyHeart » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:57 am

:thumbs
Practice cures most tone issues.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs