NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Discussion about Kramer Focus | Striker and Aerostar guitars made in the 1980s.
User avatar
Del Hudson
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:12 pm

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by Del Hudson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 am

Nice purchase with up upgraded pups. We used a Ping Floyd on the first giveaway guitar, so they aren't that bad of bridge. I understand wanting a real Floyd, but give this one a chance first. you may end up liking it.
I strum, therefore, I can't shred!

User avatar
HowlinWolf
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:51 am
Location: Seoul, Korea

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by HowlinWolf » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 pm

kremark wrote:My Focii are all pointys, but the side dot markers are doing the same with a couple of mine. I just picked up a used focus neck and it is flat missing 3 dots. My plan is to mix up some glow in the dark epoxy and do up all those side dot markers. Lots of options there as you can use some liquid that sets up or with some dexterity, use solid material.
I am drawn to the candy apple red as it was the color of my first Kramer. (That is the head stock color of the recent neck find)
Great guitar you found and good luck with sorting out the bridge.
Thank you very much Steve. My plan for the missing side dots was to just use correction pen to fill in some white color. But I'm looking forward to seeing how you do yours, so please share with us when you get them done. I still don't get how side dots fall off though...scratch_head I guess weak glue maybe, or the result of a factory worker on a Friday afternoon high on whatever... :roll

I wasn't too thrilled that this guitar was candy apple red when I saw the ad. But once I took it home and really looked at the color, I fell in love at the fact that this particular red is so dark and deep. It looks really good in real life is all I'm saying!

So what are you going to do with that neck? Looking forward to seeing how that turns out too, good luck man! :headbang :toast
Last edited by HowlinWolf on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:evil Oh my god, look what the cat dragged in... Livin' my life, sin after sin. Night rolls up and I do it again... Oh my god, look what the cat dragged in.

User avatar
HowlinWolf
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:51 am
Location: Seoul, Korea

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by HowlinWolf » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Del Hudson wrote:Nice purchase with up upgraded pups. We used a Ping Floyd on the first giveaway guitar, so they aren't that bad of bridge. I understand wanting a real Floyd, but give this one a chance first. you may end up liking it.
Thanks man. :headbang This Ping can't function right on this guitar because the arm assembly is dragging against the cavity and therefore the Floyd is not returning to center when you move it. Push it up and it stays up, push it down it stays down. If not I would have definitely given it a chance. Like I said, maybe I'll find a use for it someday on another axe that has a route that can accommodate this bridge properly. :toast
:evil Oh my god, look what the cat dragged in... Livin' my life, sin after sin. Night rolls up and I do it again... Oh my god, look what the cat dragged in.

User avatar
sixstring
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 4147
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:34 pm
Location: Ontario.ca

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by sixstring » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:50 pm

This Ping is a gotoh copy.
The other ping used on the giveaway was a Floyd copy.
I have a few of the Floyd copy pings & they work great!
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

User avatar
_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 2828
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am
Location: Germany

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by _xxx_ » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:59 am

Gotoh should work in the Floyd cavity, maybe the arm holder part is longer below the plate though... otherwise you can always file off some wood there :chainsaw

Was it originally a strat-type trem maybe?

User avatar
HowlinWolf
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:51 am
Location: Seoul, Korea

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by HowlinWolf » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 pm

_xxx_ wrote:Gotoh should work in the Floyd cavity, maybe the arm holder part is longer below the plate though... otherwise you can always file off some wood there :chainsaw

Was it originally a strat-type trem maybe?
Nah I'm willing to bet it came with a OFR.
sixstring wrote:This Ping is a gotoh copy.
The other ping used on the giveaway was a Floyd copy.
I have a few of the Floyd copy pings & they work great!
So do those Pings also have the Ping logo like this one?
:evil Oh my god, look what the cat dragged in... Livin' my life, sin after sin. Night rolls up and I do it again... Oh my god, look what the cat dragged in.

User avatar
sixstring
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 4147
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:34 pm
Location: Ontario.ca

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by sixstring » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:27 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:
_xxx_ wrote:Gotoh should work in the Floyd cavity, maybe the arm holder part is longer below the plate though... otherwise you can always file off some wood there :chainsaw

Was it originally a strat-type trem maybe?
Nah I'm willing to bet it came with a OFR.
sixstring wrote:This Ping is a gotoh copy.
The other ping used on the giveaway was a Floyd copy.
I have a few of the Floyd copy pings & they work great!
So do those Pings also have the Ping logo like this one?
Yep
Image
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

User avatar
80sChris
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: British Columbia

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by 80sChris » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:58 pm

They came standard on the Mexican Floyd Rose strats.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stratoca ... Swax5YoFZM

User avatar
sixstring
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 4147
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:34 pm
Location: Ontario.ca

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by sixstring » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:27 pm

80sChris wrote:They came standard on the Mexican Floyd Rose strats.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stratoca ... Swax5YoFZM
Yep. Only non-FR manufactured trem that was allowed to say FR on it other than the trems made by kahler (APN?) while the German factory re-tooled.
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

User avatar
kremark
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:00 am
Location: Florence, KY

NGD: 'Focus 2000 by Kramer' with craptastic Ping Floyd

Post by kremark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:12 am

Another idea that I have seen and looks interesting is taking a crayola crayon (white?) and melting the end a bit with a lighter and filling the hole with the partially molten wax and it seems to set up up quite well. When I decide to do something, Chris, will share.
As to the Ping I remember some guys on the old forum being favorable towards them.
I don't usually find a use for this smiley :flipa , but I like so there you have it.
Steve B.

Post Reply