2xNGD Again: Classic III and FR Sig

Discussion about wooden neck Kramer guitars made in the USA and American Series.
lonewolfsx
Kramer Maniac

2xNGD Again: Classic III and FR Sig

Post by lonewolfsx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 am

Hello all. Picked these up from fellow member AAEA just before shipping got shut down in my area. If I'm going to be stuck inside for a few weeks (my county just announced no non-essential going outside starting Thursday!) at least I'll have something fun to play.

First is a black Classic III. I have a black double bound Fender tele (was my Dad's) and it's cool to have a similar one that is a little bit more my "flavor" with a floyd rose and less vintage radius (the Fender is 7.25"). Really a looker and AAEA spent a lot of time getting this one nicely sorted with a 4-way switch for some unique sounds plus the usual Tele sounds. Very cool to have some tones a little different from my usual HSS and HH guitars.

Second a black FR signature with a nanner headstock and maple board. This is my first FR Sig and also my first tilted banana neck and it's only appropriate that it's also maple. Pretty unique in that it has aluminum side dots as well as a wider spaced black C plate, which I've only seen on Barettas before now. Gave it a little setup treatment to my liking and it's a great player already. I think the neck may have been repaired at some point in its life since it has some light sanding near the scarf joint but it's a pro level repair job if so and lines up perfectly. Schaller humbuckers sound great as always.

Cheers and thanks. Really enjoying these so far.
Too many to list now...
Always looking for maple pointies, especially bound headstocks.
https://totallyradguitars.com/kramer

SWANTECH
Kramer Kommander

Re: 2xNGD Again: Classic III and FR Sig

Post by SWANTECH » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:54 am

Nice. Congrats!
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st E. Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Ugly Duckling project
19 Nightswan Polka Dot reissue
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
8? Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monster Retta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Post by sixstring » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 am

But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

Frunobulax
Kramer Maniac

Post by Frunobulax » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:09 am

Congrats, both of them are very nice :thumbs

KickstartMyHeart
Kramer Kingpin

Post by KickstartMyHeart » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:11 am

Very nice.
Practice cures most tone issues.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

Dirty D
Kramer Kommander

Post by Dirty D » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 am

Damn, what a pair! Usually I'm less drawn toward the Floyd Rose shape, but that's the best one I've ever seen to my eyes. I've got that same neck on my Vanguard, and it's probably my favorite Kramer neck. Interestingly, somebody fitted mine with an R2 nut even though the neck width is R5. I'm very, very seriously considering slapping that neck on a regular body that I will play, since the Vanguard shape, while beautiful, isn't very functional for my purposes. I just can't yet bring myself to take apart an all-original guitar, even though keeping it together means that the awesome neck doesn't get played.
Those a knock-outs, congrats!!
SO many projects, so little time!

Classic II red Tele
a few other sweet ones!!
some lumies & Spectors
buncha projects that'll eventually get done
some that won't
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

madchester_monkey
Kramer Maniac

Post by madchester_monkey » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 am

I was really eyeballing that classic for a while, Glad its gone to a good home!

lonewolfsx
Kramer Maniac

Post by lonewolfsx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:06 pm

Dirty D wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 am
Damn, what a pair! Usually I'm less drawn toward the Floyd Rose shape, but that's the best one I've ever seen to my eyes. I've got that same neck on my Vanguard, and it's probably my favorite Kramer neck. Interestingly, somebody fitted mine with an R2 nut even though the neck width is R5. I'm very, very seriously considering slapping that neck on a regular body that I will play, since the Vanguard shape, while beautiful, isn't very functional for my purposes. I just can't yet bring myself to take apart an all-original guitar, even though keeping it together means that the awesome neck doesn't get played.
Those a knock-outs, congrats!!
Same... I think it just looks really good in black. I've never had an FR Sig before because I thought they were a little bit ugly but this one I like but it may just be growing on me.

I had to fit a NOS R5 neck with an R2 neck because that's all I had extra and the R5 nut was too tall. I didn't want to risk sanding the shelf any lower so I ended up special ordering an R8 nut. that's R4 width but R2 height. It's close enough and works pretty well.
This neck is R5, generally I prefer R2 but at this point it's like being a wine connoisseur, I like to have varied stuff, keeps it interesting.

I've never had a vanguard either and I don't like the V shape for playing, so I feel you on that one. The FR Sig at least feels/fits/plays similarly to a regular S shape body. The Voyager shape is more radical but probably isn't all that uncomfortable, except for your right elbow hitting the end of it now and then.

Speaking of playing comfort, I'm not surprised, but the Classic III is rough on your stomach played sitting down. The double bound body means no contours and it gets pretty stabby after an hour or two of playing, and you have to reach over it a little bit like an acoustic because there's no elbow cut either. Definitely one to be played standing up.
Too many to list now...
Always looking for maple pointies, especially bound headstocks.
https://totallyradguitars.com/kramer

marsmountain
Kramer Kommander

Post by marsmountain » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm

That tele is awesome. :thumbs
MarsMountain Guitars
- Somebody put a fair amount of effort into building a piece of garbage -

MuttznMongrelz
Kramer Maniac

Post by MuttznMongrelz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Congrats - both beauties! Really love the Classic III. :headbang
MuttznMongrelz 2009 Gibson Les Paul SRP (2) * 1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial * 1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe * 1989 Charvel/Kramer Sambora * 2018 USACG KNE Frankenstein * 2017 Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star * 1992 Peavey 5150