Help in identifying model of DMZ

Discussion about your favorite aluminum necked beast.
ceej

Help in identifying model of DMZ

Post by ceej » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi,

I've had a Kramer DMZ for almost 35 plus years. Bought it from a friend who was playing with Fripp and on the acoustic guitar tour or something like that. I always thought I had a real Kramer until I went to sell it on ebay. First, there was no serial number, just a very faint "Made in USA" stamped on the oval shaped neck plate. Then, the guy who bought it and returned it, said the neck had been placed on a DMZ 2000 body from another guitar because it wasn't rounded. Which made no sense to me. I looked online and found pictures of other Kramers that had the same squared off neck bolting instead of the rounded one on the back of guitar.

The guitar has the little posts for the nut, the extra switches for the pickups and dark racing stripes on a maple body.
Here is a link to one with photos of exactly what it looks like.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/6555302-kram ... sh-vintage

So, now I'm confused. Is it a Kramer neck on a modified 1000 body? I thought maple was only on DMZ 1000's. And walnut was the DMZ 2000 series. I now understand that without the serial number this guitar will be hard to sell so it looks like I may have it until I die and pass it on though my will. But I would like to know what the model number is for sure.

Thanks to anyone that can help!
Ceej

Dirty D
Kramer Kommander

Re: Help in identifying model of DMZ

Post by Dirty D » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Your serial number is above the strap pin. It starts with A and then is followed by 4 digits. I can't read it due to camera angle, but I can see it is there.
At quick glance, that all looks correct to me. I own 3 lumies not including my Duke, and I've examined several others. Mine are not DMZs, so I'm not intimately familiar with DMZs, but I see nothing there that looks wrong.
Whoever polished the aluminum did a good job - looks great!
SO many projects, so little time!

Classic II red Tele
a few other sweet ones!!
some lumies & Spectors
buncha projects that'll eventually get done
some that won't
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Post by sixstring » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:43 pm

DD, the link isn't his git, just a reference.

Check the link to post pics of your axe. Welcome.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1328
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

KickstartMyHeart
Kramer Kingpin

Post by KickstartMyHeart » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:49 am

Welcome. Pls post pics. Otherwise all advise is moot.
Practice cures most tone issues.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs