Fret job on a Loomie?

Discussion about your favorite aluminum necked beast.
Dirty D
Kramer Maniac

Fret job on a Loomie?

Post by Dirty D » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi Gang,
New member here, first time post...
I'll do a more proper introduction later on, but for now a quick question. I am looking at an aluminum neck Kramer locally, but the frets have a fair amount of wear and flat spots. I believe there is probably enough metal left to have them leveled, but if it needs a fret job, is there anything different or weird I should know about considering a fret job on a Loomie, or it is pretty much like anything else? I haven't seen the guitar in person, hopefully going to look at it tomorrow, and I'll need to make a decision on the spot, so just trying to do my homework ahead of time.
Thanks again all you wise Kramer sages for sharing your knowledge and expertise!
SO many projects, so little time!

Classic II red Tele
a few other sweet ones!!
some lumies & Spectors
buncha projects that'll eventually get done
some that won't
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Fret job on a Loomie?

Post by sixstring » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 pm

The lumies had ebonol fretboards which chipped very easily.
They used Petillo fret wire, I'm not sure if you could use standard wire or not. shrug
Welcome aboard!
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

Dirty D
Kramer Maniac

Fret job on a Loomie?

Post by Dirty D » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks, Six, appreciate the reply and info!
I just spent a couple hours reading every Lumie thread from the old forum, so I guess I know slightly more than before but still not enough to gauge the difficulty of refretting and/or how much it might be expected to cost.

But I did learn enough that I can now properly spell "Lumie." I guess that's what I get for being the new kid coming on here acting like I know what I'm talking about. :whistle

Thanks in advance for any other ideas or wisdom any of ya'll might have to share.

Classic II red Tele
a few other sweet ones!!
some lumies & Spectors
some that won't
Bastards:

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Fret job on a Loomie?

Post by _xxx_ » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:26 am

Welcome :toast

Nothing special about that fretwire, unless you mean the triangular wire he uses on his guitars - which I think is quite a nonsense.

I dunno about the severity of chipping with ebonol (can be filled though) or if the frets were glued in heavily, but surely a soldering iron should help soften that glue before pulling them. You can use chip stoppers from StewMac, they really help to reduce chipping. Other than that, it should be a normal fretjob like any other. If the slots are widened, you can bend the tang in zig-zag to make them hold firmly. Go to a luthier who uses a fret press instead of hammering them in, hammering could be dangerous for the material.

darrend
Kramer Maniac

Re: Fret job on a Loomie?

Post by darrend » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:40 pm

I'm trying to remember what people said from the old days, as I was going to do a refret myself.

Heat up the frets with a soldering iron to loosen the glue. Once removed and if regular fret tangs seem too wide, use a fret barber on the new frets before installing. Glue them in. This makes it easier to remove the frets down the road if need be. They do this with some acoustics. The tough part will be removing them I think.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/T ... arber.html

Dirty D
Kramer Maniac

Post by Dirty D » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 am

Forgot about this thread, but thanks for the info.
Update: when I first picked up the 350G, I was gonna flip it since I got it for under 4 bills. I took it to a top San Francisco luthier, who advised just leave the frets alone, because not terrible and a potential buyer might not mind, and I would be unlikely to recoup the cost of the fret job when I sell it. Over time, I've fallen in love with the sound and sustain of it, so I'm just gonna keep it. I actually played it tonight, as I'm doing an old-school NY punk thing with some friends (Iggy Pop, Velvet Underground, etc) and this thing is perfect! Heavy mofo to tote around, but it just looks so freaking cool and has such a unique feel and sound. I like it so much that I've since acquired one of the basses.
Thanks again for the info, as one day maybe I might mess with the frets, but for now it's not bothering me after I made friends with the guitar like it is.

Classic II red Tele
a few other sweet ones!!
some lumies & Spectors
some that won't
Bastards:

louieatienza
Kramer Maniac

Post by louieatienza » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Does your guitar have Petillo wire on all frets? From what I understand, they didn't do too many that way, because not that many people liked the way they felt. If I recall the story under Petillo's contract Kramer was supposed to use Petillo fretwire on all guitars (lumies I presume), so they would use them as the zero fret...