Doing the mutt...

Discussions and pictures of Kramers that are brought back from the disaster area.
_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by _xxx_ » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Talking about the beak neck and white deluxe body from the other thread... just doweled it.

Drilled with 8mm:

Very hard, quality maple - the drill heated up and had to fight quite a bit.

Hardwood dowels made (beechwood, common here), glue inside and ready to install:

Done. 15 minutes total.

Tomorrow I'll pair it with the body. I'll have to shim the width a bit so we'll see how it goes. If it works out fine, I'll think about re-radiusing the fretboard to 12" and a set of new jumbo frets. I got some quality cryo-treated fretwire in medium-jumbo and jumbo size here too.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by _xxx_ » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:44 pm

It will work! The required shim was exactly the 0.7mm plastic card from a usual useless membership somewhere. I glued it in and will let it dry till tomorrow with the neck pressed inside.

Current look:

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by sixstring » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Looks like it will work just fine. :thumbs
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

KickstartMyHeart
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by KickstartMyHeart » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:22 am

That looks very nice. I first thought you´ve had white EMGs in the mock up before I realized that it´s just the empty cavities :roll . Wouldn´t hurt the eye, though.
Practice cures most tone issues.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am

It will have black pups, Schaller and two Fender singles. Black pots and switch tip, chrome jackplate and strap buttons. Will keep you posted.

Del Hudson
Kramer Maniac

Doing the mutt...

Post by Del Hudson » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 am

She's coming along nicely. Never thought of using a plastic card for a shim. Great tip and can't wait to see her finished.
I strum, therefore, I can't shred!

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:51 pm

It was a long day but it's finished now except for some minor things. It plays and sounds awesome! It's way better than the nanner I recently sold, much more clarity and very dynamic sound, endless sustain and loads of singing harmonics. I love the neck too, it plays and sounds even better than expected. Textbook Kramer sound and feel :thumbs

I will have to lower the nut quite a bit (I can't believe they sold them like this, it's got over 2mm action at the first fret :nono ), need a black back cover and switch tip and will have to level the frets after all - the action is nice, but the pitting is a bit annoying when bending. And the logo obviously, but that will have to wait till spring.

Other than these minor to-do's, it's a killer axe :headbang so not "dead in the water" after all, I'm happy I didn't sell the parts...

Some quick pics:

Blonde back... :)

edit - just noticed the topic link:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=666...
And a question - what's the correct orientation of the serial/parallel switch - series when up or when down? I think it's flipped here, because the hum in series is "up" and split mode is down (parallel is in the middle).

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by sixstring » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:03 pm

High action at the nut might be why the original owner got rid of it. shrug
Looks good otherwise. :thumbs
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Could be. All the frets are evenly grooved so he did play with lots of grip obviously.

KickstartMyHeart
Kramer Kingpin

Doing the mutt...

Post by KickstartMyHeart » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:04 am

Looks like a top-notch player :headbang :thumbs .
Practice cures most tone issues.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs