Carrera original tuners and hardware?

Discussions and pictures of Kramers that are brought back from the disaster area.
Dirty D
Kramer Kommander

Carrera original tuners and hardware?

Post by Dirty D » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Does anybody know what type of tuners originally came on an early C-series Carrera Imperial? This had no-name tuners when I got it, which I assumed were cheap replacements for some poached originals. The customer wants it as authentic as possible, so I thought to swap in some used Schallers. However, when I removed the no-names, the paint indentation matches the back of the tuners, and it looks like these have been on there the whole time. Might these be originals? There is no Gotoh symbol or anything else on the back.

Also, some of the hardware (Floyd nut, tool holder, tuner buttons) has an odd silver ghostly appearance, and the original knobs have it too. I can't figure out what it is. I can swap in some other hardware that is clean black, but the customer wants it as authentic as possible, so is there any chance this is the original hardware?

Thanks for any knowledge you can share, especially related to likely OEM tuners.

I don't have many "before pics," but it had a chunk out of the headstock tip and then somebody had botched a repair attempt as you can see in the second pic. It cleaned up pretty well, but not perfect, but pretty invisible if you don't know it's there..

SO many projects, so little time!

Classic II red Tele
a few other sweet ones!!
some lumies & Spectors
buncha projects that'll eventually get done
some that won't
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Re: Carrera original tuners and hardware?

Post by sixstring » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Unmarked 90° gotohs
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

menace
KF ADMIN

Post by menace » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:38 pm

The ones you took off were correct.
It's not really hoarding if your shit is cool....

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:35 pm

Yeah, 90 degree Gotoh like '83 Barettas came with.

Dirty D
Kramer Kommander

Post by Dirty D » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:14 am

Thank you, Gentlemen!
I'll put the others back on, and I'm glad to have your collective confidence in what they are.
:thumbs
SO many projects, so little time!

Classic II red Tele
a few other sweet ones!!
some lumies & Spectors
buncha projects that'll eventually get done
some that won't
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:13 am

As for the hardware - back then the coating wasn't really great, so you'll often find "faded" parts. The nut should still be black at least in some places though, unless the previous owner sanded it clean. That old style retainer bar is period correct.

OneInTheChamber
Kramer Maniac

Post by OneInTheChamber » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Nice work dude !!!
Dirty D wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:14 pm
Does anybody know what type of tuners originally came on an early C-series Carrera Imperial? This had no-name tuners when I got it, which I assumed were cheap replacements for some poached originals. The customer wants it as authentic as possible, so I thought to swap in some used Schallers. However, when I removed the no-names, the paint indentation matches the back of the tuners, and it looks like these have been on there the whole time. Might these be originals? There is no Gotoh symbol or anything else on the back.

Also, some of the hardware (Floyd nut, tool holder, tuner buttons) has an odd silver ghostly appearance, and the original knobs have it too. I can't figure out what it is. I can swap in some other hardware that is clean black, but the customer wants it as authentic as possible, so is there any chance this is the original hardware?

Thanks for any knowledge you can share, especially related to likely OEM tuners.

I don't have many "before pics," but it had a chunk out of the headstock tip and then somebody had botched a repair attempt as you can see in the second pic. It cleaned up pretty well, but not perfect, but pretty invisible if you don't know it's there..