My big strings shootout

Discussion about amplifiers, effects, speakers, pickups, and other elektronics
SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin

Re: My big strings shootout

Post by SWANTECH » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:14 pm

After years of research, and unverified sources.
GHS makes alot of strings for instrument companies. GHS will not disclose this officially.
Quoted from their website.
"Like other string companies, we make what are called "Private Label" sets, which are strings made and packaged for another company. This can be as simple as repackaging strings we already make, or it can be as complex as adhering to a different set of specifications. With respect to the relationships with our “Private Label” customers, we do not divulge any of the names of other companies that we make strings for."
I used to play Gibson Vintage Reissue strings, then I switched to GHS Nickle Rockers. I truly believe these are almost the same exact strings. The GHS strings are 1/3 the price of the Gibson strings. I switched years ago when I found this out.

Then I switched to my favorite string DR MTR 9 or 10 gauge strings. I prefer a high nickle string, a Hex core, and compression wound string.

I use a lot of coated strings now. Just because I need strings to stay good while guitars are in storage, or awaiting resale. Which is why I do like Elixir and ClearTone.
I really do love DR Veritas strings.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st E. Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Ugly Duckling rescue project
19 Nightswan Polka Dot reissue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
86 Focus 1000 Blk (FS)
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
8? Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
91 Baretta 3 Black Cherry
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 Flip Flop Something
01 Music Yo Imperial/Explorer blue project
89 Baretta 2 Flip Flop Red

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Well I can say that GHS Boomers and Gibson (nickle plated steel) are not the same. Doesn't mean much, could be made anywhere.

BTW over here GHS cost more than Gibson. The cheapest brand strings are Fender 250 (3x set for 12EUR).

PacerMedic
Kramer Maniac

Post by PacerMedic » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:41 am

I played SIT Super Hooks pretty exclusively in the 80's. I was constantly restringing when my sweat was more salty and acidic (a thing I attribute to drinking, possibly). I've used D'Adario XL's since then and those just work. I hate coated strings, never got on with the feel. Recently, I've been trying new types, mostly NYXL's and XT's. I know, but coating the core doesn't leave me with that perception of something between my fingers and the string.

Honestly, all things being equal, I can detect pickups, and tubes better than different strings beyond the speed with which they lose brightness. I've been playing more recently and have found that 10's give me better control as my hand strength comes back. I notice easier intonation on bends, and vibrato.
There's no "Team" in F@Ck YOU!!!!

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:34 am

Today I tried Fender Super 250:

Also in this packaging as a single pack:

These are the cheapest set, as said 3x pack for 12€.

They sound quite similar to Dean Markley Signature, but with just a bit more spank in the highs. Which is IMO just right for Strat-types. I used both on my Carvin strat and found the DM just one notch too tame. Fenders sound just right, still on the warmer side but just enough highs for the harmonics to sing and a bit more spank for the rhythm.

What I definitely love about these, they are the softest and easiest to bend of all the sets I've tried, only DR were as soft with DM being close second.

Verdict: definitely a winner, regardless of price. Being this cheap, they're quite unbeatable overall.

OK - so far the winners are the cheapest two sets from Fender and Gibson - who would have expected that??? :roll

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:05 am

Wow, now this is cool - just realized that there were actually FOUR sets inside the Fender 3-pack :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Probably a mistake, but it's a nice surprise! That makes it 3€ per set, LMAO :toast

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:45 am

Just ordered DR Tite-Fit and Dunlop for testing.

And a 5-pack of Gibsons for 20€, with some extra e and b strings inside. This 5-pack matches the price of Fender 3-pack which makes these two the cheapest branded sets by far.

madchester_monkey
Kramer Maniac

Post by madchester_monkey » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:10 pm

For those into the Benders I saw this today, I honestly don't know if its a great deal or not but thought I'd share it

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... pack-promo

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:51 pm

Next, Dunlop:

I was quite skeptical and had low expectations, so these were a pleasant surprise. The packaging is from early 2016(!), but due to the vacuum packaging with a silicon pad inside (talk about going the extra mile), there look and feel like fresh from the factory.

The tone is quite close to Gibsons, more on the punchy and powerful side with clear highs and tight lows. They are not as soft as Dean Markley/Fender, but bending is even easier since they twist less and thus have better "grip" - also quite similar to Gibsons. Audibly louder and more aggressive than Fender, which were on the guitar the last few weeks.

I'm fairly sure that Fender are actually repackaged Dean Markley. Similarly I could imagine Gibson and Dunlop might be related, the similarity is quite high.

These are also highly recommended for the punchier kind of tone :thumbs and these were fairly priced as well (probably because it's old stock though).

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:19 pm

DM Blackhawk - quite a nice surprise. Cheapest of the coated brand sets with some 8€ per set.

The tone is different than their Signature set, more punch and more highs but still not quite as punchy as Gibsons. These sound like something between D'Addario XL and EB Slinky, nice balance of warmth and punch. Clear highs with nice singing harmonics. They also feel a tiny bit stiffer than Signature.

These can also take lots of abuse. For this price, definitely recommended.