building a speaker cab

Discussion about amplifiers, effects, speakers, pickups, and other elektronics
OneInTheChamber
Kramer Maniac

Re: building a speaker cab

Post by OneInTheChamber » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:29 pm

I'm reall happy with my vintage Marshall 1912 Cabinets ( pictured are not mine )

I've collected some vintage ones and swapped different Celestions in there till i arrived at the perfect tone. I may convert one to an open back just to try that sometime because it seems that a drummer can hear me alot better at a gig with an open back.

I'd say any size live gig would be fine with cabs of course i'm not gonna do another arena show agin in my life so 2-4 Marshall 1912 cabs should suffice. I may experiment with stereo sometime with these too!

marsmountain
Kramer Maniac

Post by marsmountain » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:19 pm

2112 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:16 am
I built matching cabs for my 6505, my Fender Reverb, and my little Blackstar ID30. Fun projects.

Very nice. I have a 72 Quad Reverb that I will never part with.
1987 Kramer Baretta II
Kramer Ferrington Tele
Kramer Baretta Special (Floyd Mod)
Kramer D-212S Acoustic Electric
"Kramer" Mick Mars GGG Tele (MarsMountain)
"Kramer" Mick Mars Mirror Top Tele (MarsMountain)
"Kramer" Firebird (MarsMountain)
"Kramer" Flying V - N2 (MarsMountain)

marsmountain
Kramer Maniac

Post by marsmountain » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:21 pm

menace wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:01 pm
Here is an original 1977 vintage 1960B that I restored...

I lost the before pics in the great Photobucket fiasco back in 2015.... :bang
Again - beautiful work.
1987 Kramer Baretta II
Kramer Ferrington Tele
Kramer Baretta Special (Floyd Mod)
Kramer D-212S Acoustic Electric
"Kramer" Mick Mars GGG Tele (MarsMountain)
"Kramer" Mick Mars Mirror Top Tele (MarsMountain)
"Kramer" Firebird (MarsMountain)
"Kramer" Flying V - N2 (MarsMountain)

9am53
Kramer Maniac

Post by 9am53 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:58 am

Havent posted since I picked up that cab. Its a Seismic 2x12 and its got 2 ports on the front. I thought it was a bass cab until I saw their other products and it is indeed a ported guitar cab, Ive just never seen one. I opened the back metal piece to look at the speakers and they are not V30s, they are g12t100's. Front and back are ply, sides are all beaver shit. I was thinking ok, I'll be returning this for sure, but while I have it lets plug it in. I plugged the little traynor into it and its pure mud. not useable at all without a lot of EQ. I thought ok, well I may as well try the little Randall...I wasnt expecting much but it blew me away. The traynor hasnt got much of an eq on it so I cant mess with it, the randall doesnt either, but the cab seems to perfectly suit it as is. Its not bassy or muddy, but the mids kick you in the face. It sounds so good compared to my old 412 with 70/80s. Never judge a book by its cover I guess! I wont be touring this cab so I dont care thats its a piece of crap. It is staying connected to the randall forever lol. Ive never been so happy with my tone before.

The Traynor now has no cab though...I got rid of all my other speakers. Well shux, I guess Ill have to build a cab just for it :) the traynor is a tiny little solid state backup amp that I happen to like playing with. I will likely eventually replace it with a traynor darkhorse for clean or rather non-metal use. I'll be likely building a 112 for it with a speaker voiced more for these applications.
It may not be long, but it sure is skinny!