Flush mount (recessed) Dunlop strap locks

Discussion about guitar setup, repair, and other technical issues
Axeman
Kramer Maniac

Post by Axeman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Any experience with these?
The Jackson Dave Mustaine I bought came stock with these, however the previous owner filled in the recess with some kind of wood putty or something and added Traditional Strap locks. I’m debating returning this to factory specs by digging out the recess and installing the flush mount system and then using the toothpick fill method to close up the new screw holes.
Is there any downside to the flush mount? Maybe there is a reason he did this? I guess maybe bc you can’t change straps.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:16 pm

They work fine, but I don't like to bore such big holes into the guitar. Should be less prone to damage because they're recessed and can't be wiggled out as easily.

If they come like that it's ok, but otherwise I prefer Security Locks (Schaller style) just because most of my guitars have those and I don't want to use two straps all the time.

In your case you have to stay with those unless you want to re-dowel, because the screw holes are now too big to hold the schaller buttons, those use thinner screws.

lespauled
Kramer Maniac

Post by lespauled » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 am

I have them in my Blackmore Strat. They work exactly the same as any other Dunlop strap locks, just recessed. If it's the way it was stock, I might do it. Just don't do it thinking there is any difference.
"Women and music...I'm always amazed at other people's choices" - David Lee Roth

Axeman
Kramer Maniac

Post by Axeman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks guys. I may return it to stock. I love this guitar so far, would like to clean it up a bit