Using right hand neck for lefty?

Discussion about guitar setup, repair, and other technical issues
LhKramerLunatic
Kramer Kommander

Post by LhKramerLunatic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Have found on nseveral of my rig ht handed american necks,im goin to use as reverse leftys,the L2 nut wont fit flush side to side,im goin to have to file away about 2/16 from each nut mountin hole to move the l2 nut over to fit flush.

Has anybody used lefty necks reverse and found r2 nuts dont sit flush?

Thx to any who reply back
1986 lefty Focus 6000
1992 ibanez 170L

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Post by sixstring » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Yes the mounting holes are offset a bit for clearance due to the lower strings being thicker.
File the holes or the other option being plug & re-drill. shrug
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

menace
KF ADMIN

Post by menace » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:29 pm

What he said.....

The FR nut is hardened steel.......you will not like your results if you try and file. :bang
It's not really hoarding if your shit is cool....

LhKramerLunatic
Kramer Kommander

Post by LhKramerLunatic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 pm

menace wrote:What he said.....

The FR nut is hardened steel.......you will not like your results if you try and file. :bang
lololololol no i know whatu mean,im gonna file the wood a lil bit in the nut holes to get flush,lol.

thx guys,lol
1986 lefty Focus 6000
1992 ibanez 170L

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Post by sixstring » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:38 pm

sixstring wrote:Yes the mounting holes are offset a bit for clearance due to the lower strings being thicker.
File the holes or the other option being plug & re-drill. shrug
Just to be klear, I did mean file the holes in the neck not the nut.... :whistle
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

menace
KF ADMIN

Post by menace » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:00 pm

I knew what you meant Greg... :poke

I would plug the neck holes and re-drill them if I were you. Taking away material in what is already the weakest place on the neck is just asking for trouble.... :chainsaw
It's not really hoarding if your shit is cool....

Dirty D
Kramer Maniac

Post by Dirty D » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:10 pm

This is good information to know.
Do you guys know what would be the typical offset?
I have several NOS necks that were left over from the fire sales along with some other blems and oddities, looked perfect and I could not figure out why they were left behind, then I tried to put on a Floyd nut and realized the holes were offset by a full millimeter. It seemed too much, so I figured these must be factory rejects left behind. I have plugged them, came out looking good, but haven't yet redrilled them, mostly because busy with non-guitar stuff, but also admittedly slightly I'm nervous for the first one just to make sure I don't screw it up. I got some reprieve from my other stuff and ready now to get back on these Kramer builds, so next step is to redrilll new holes for the Floyd nut mount. I was just going to center them up (actually already have them marked), so I'm really, really glad I am reading this!!! Now that I am better educated after reading this, of course I want to drill them with the proper offset. Seeking informed opinions about what that measurement would be? I guess I could measure my real Kramers and take the average of them to see what offsets like were coming out of the factory for properly-drilled ones, but there is so much expertise here I am wondering if anybody just knows the proper offset and can tell it to me?
Thanks very much!
SO many projects, so little time!

Classic II red Tele
a few other sweet ones!!
some lumies & Spectors
buncha projects that'll eventually get done
some that won't
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

LhKramerLunatic
Kramer Kommander

Post by LhKramerLunatic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Doc wrote:This is good information to know.
Do you guys know what would be the typical offset?
I have several NOS necks that were left over from the fire sales along with some other blems and oddities, looked perfect and I could not figure out why they were left behind, then I tried to put on a Floyd nut and realized the holes were offset by a full millimeter. It seemed too much, so I figured these must be factory rejects left behind. I have plugged them, came out looking good, but haven't yet redrilled them, mostly because busy with non-guitar stuff, but also admittedly slightly I'm nervous for the first one just to make sure I don't screw it up. I got some reprieve from my other stuff and ready now to get back on these Kramer builds, so next step is to redrilll new holes for the Floyd nut mount. I was just going to center them up (actually already have them marked), so I'm really, really glad I am reading this!!! Now that I am better educated after reading this, of course I want to drill them with the proper offset. Seeking informed opinions about what that measurement would be? I guess I could measure my real Kramers and take the average of them to see what offsets like were coming out of the factory for properly-drilled ones, but there is so much expertise here I am wondering if anybody just knows the proper offset and can tell it to me?
Thanks very much!
ive already done to right handed necks,all i had to do was file less then 1/16 on either hole oppsite of each side and it fits perfect,i clamped the nut down tight and its been fine on both,the amount removed was very,very slight.

but if u feel like u ned to redrill,then u shld for peace of mind,i got both my rightys for cheap,so i didnt want to redrill them and possible screw that up,all my lefty amercians are my babys and they fit fine,

i just wanted to have a couple reverse's for fun and looks.
1986 lefty Focus 6000
1992 ibanez 170L

Frunobulax
Kramer Maniac

Post by Frunobulax » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 pm

Using a lefty pointy R5 myself, I confirm I just had to file a very few to shape the holes slightly elongated and make the nut nicely flush. There was no need to dowel and redrill for this one.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:25 am

I would rather have a problem with missing side markers, I need those for orientation when playing in a standing position.