Wiring up stagemaster

Discussion about guitar setup, repair, and other technical issues
Post Reply
User avatar
AAEA
Kramer Kommander
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Wiring up stagemaster

Post by AAEA » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:46 pm

I swapped all the old pickups out for dimarzio.

it has a 4 mini switch setup. it was a fucking hack job in there so I cleaned everything up and now it as seen on the schematic but for some reason neither middle or neck pickup play in an on off fashion and the only full blast humbucker mode is the blower mode so WTF is going on? are dimarzio singles hot lead the black wire and if so can I kill the guy who did that.

Image
1984 Kramer Pacer Imperial
1984 Kramer Floyd Rose (non tilt)
1984 Kramer Floyd Rose (maple nana)
1985 Kramer Vanguard (Nightmare Graphic)
1986 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
1986 Kramer Pacer Custom I
1987 Kramer Baretta
1987 Kramer E.E. Pro I
1987 Kramer E.E. Pro II
1987 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
1988 Kramer Sustainer
1988 Kramer Classic III
1989 Kramer Pacer Custom II 24 fret claw
2009 GKG Russian Roulette Custom

User avatar
lespauled
Kramer Maniac
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:18 am

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by lespauled » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Wouldn't each hot, go to the dip switch first, then to the volume pot?
"Women and music...I'm always amazed at other people's choices" - David Lee Roth

User avatar
sixstring
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 5598
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by sixstring » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:29 pm

DMZ are red hot.

Image
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

User avatar
AAEA
Kramer Kommander
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by AAEA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:41 am

all of the singles go to a mini switch first. they are 2 wire a black and a white, I wired the white as hot, something odd is going on with one or more of the switches or the black is hot.

very odd to me that the black would be hot but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

for once I'd like wiring up a guitar to go smoothly lol just once ya know. still have the vanguard to finish up the wiring so fingers crossed.
1984 Kramer Pacer Imperial
1984 Kramer Floyd Rose (non tilt)
1984 Kramer Floyd Rose (maple nana)
1985 Kramer Vanguard (Nightmare Graphic)
1986 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
1986 Kramer Pacer Custom I
1987 Kramer Baretta
1987 Kramer E.E. Pro I
1987 Kramer E.E. Pro II
1987 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
1988 Kramer Sustainer
1988 Kramer Classic III
1989 Kramer Pacer Custom II 24 fret claw
2009 GKG Russian Roulette Custom

User avatar
_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 3963
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by _xxx_ » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 am

The switches may be bad as well, happens often on these older guitars. My PC1 had that problem.

User avatar
sixstring
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 5598
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by sixstring » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 am

AAEA wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:41 am
all of the singles go to a mini switch first. they are 2 wire a black and a white, I wired the white as hot, something odd is going on with one or more of the switches or the black is hot.

very odd to me that the black would be hot but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

for once I'd like wiring up a guitar to go smoothly lol just once ya know. still have the vanguard to finish up the wiring so fingers crossed.
Thought you meant the HB. :stupid
Looking online, even on Dmz site, some diagrams are white hot some are black hot. shrug
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

User avatar
_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin
Posts: 3963
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by _xxx_ » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 am

Works both ways with single coils, depending on what you need, reverse or normal wiring for multiple pickups and hum issues.

User avatar
marsmountain
Kramer Kommander
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by marsmountain » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:20 am

sixstring wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:29 pm
DMZ are red hot.

Image
MarsMountain Guitars
- Somebody put a fair amount of effort into building a piece of garbage -

User avatar
AAEA
Kramer Kommander
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by AAEA » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:18 am

sixstring wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 am
AAEA wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:41 am
all of the singles go to a mini switch first. they are 2 wire a black and a white, I wired the white as hot, something odd is going on with one or more of the switches or the black is hot.

very odd to me that the black would be hot but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

for once I'd like wiring up a guitar to go smoothly lol just once ya know. still have the vanguard to finish up the wiring so fingers crossed.
Thought you meant the HB. :stupid
Looking online, even on Dmz site, some diagrams are white hot some are black hot. shrug
I know I found the same thing, why in the hell would you make white hot then switch to black? and then go back and forth, well either way I know which is which now and will be wiring it up to see if this eliminates the issue, really hope I don't have to get 4 new mini toggles to get this working.
1984 Kramer Pacer Imperial
1984 Kramer Floyd Rose (non tilt)
1984 Kramer Floyd Rose (maple nana)
1985 Kramer Vanguard (Nightmare Graphic)
1986 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
1986 Kramer Pacer Custom I
1987 Kramer Baretta
1987 Kramer E.E. Pro I
1987 Kramer E.E. Pro II
1987 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
1988 Kramer Sustainer
1988 Kramer Classic III
1989 Kramer Pacer Custom II 24 fret claw
2009 GKG Russian Roulette Custom

User avatar
AAEA
Kramer Kommander
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Re: Wiring up stagemaster

Post by AAEA » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:02 pm

good vibes on this day. so I started deconstructing the wiring diagrams and man that is wrong, this is not how you wire an on/on switch as an on/off feature. Like is this to troll people lol

well anyways I figured it out and the on/off for the pickups work, bridge coil splits as it should, blower switch doing the right jazz.

just sorta glad it wasn't anything I was doing wrong, this schematic needs an update.

Image
1984 Kramer Pacer Imperial
1984 Kramer Floyd Rose (non tilt)
1984 Kramer Floyd Rose (maple nana)
1985 Kramer Vanguard (Nightmare Graphic)
1986 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
1986 Kramer Pacer Custom I
1987 Kramer Baretta
1987 Kramer E.E. Pro I
1987 Kramer E.E. Pro II
1987 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
1988 Kramer Sustainer
1988 Kramer Classic III
1989 Kramer Pacer Custom II 24 fret claw
2009 GKG Russian Roulette Custom

Post Reply