Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:34 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 pm 
Kramer Maniac

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Metal-Plate-Electric-Guitar-Double-Tremolo-Bridge-Studs-Anchor-Insert-NEW/151222408523?epid=1539326525&hash=item23358ed54b:g:fbkAAOSwirZTt1WW

Looks like the seller that I got mine from is sold out, but they are readily available from other sellers for maybe a few bucks more. here is one, but you could probably find them cheaper. Might have to poke around a bit since they might be called something different by different sellers.

Be advised these are cheap Chinese and the quality reflects that, but even if it robs you of a tiny bit of tone or sustain, it probably is worth it to keep your guitar in service and/or prevent your problem from getting worse.

FU-Tone should make some of these and sell them for $150.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:57 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I could probably just weld one up out of steel. I’ll figure out the thread and width of the post and make one up for you if you want to copy mine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:28 pm 
Kramer Maniac

That would be great but seems like it would need to be very tight tolerances within a quarter millimeter or less, because you would want to be able to use the existing holes already drilled into a guitar body, and if it is off-spec, then you would stress the wood even more when you press it into the body, not to mention need to assure the Floyd will seat properly on the posts. But if you are a good metal worker then could probably pull it off. I guess if you fabricated and drilled the bar first, then pressed in the inserts to make sure it all is within tolerances, then maybe spot weld as a final step, that could be cool. Then probably want powder coat so it doesn't rust. That's a lot. I guess maybe that's why nobody has done it!

Check out this video. This is the cleanest and most solid repair I've ever seen for this problem, but I think they might have over-engineered it. My idea was do something similar but without the lip on front, smaller without the rounded contours, basically same idea but just shorter and simpler. But check this out and it gives some good ideas to think about. I don't recall if it is on this vid or not, but I remember hearing the owner of this guitar said the sustain was so much better than original after this repair/mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm0RQ5c4Osw

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:36 pm 
Kramer Maniac

And if you want a good laugh and a lesson on how NOT to do it, check out this train wreck. No, you cannot have the 4 minutes of your life back after you watch it, just like this guy can never have his guitar back.
:beer :bong :chainsaw :chainsaw :chainsaw :chainsaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGgxGa0vIJA

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 pm 
KF ADMIN

In the first video.....

Why not just machine a solid block of brass instead of making the vertical piece screw to the main block? scratch_head

That being said.....

Nice job, you only spent 3 times as much as the entire body was worth in the first place... dielaughing

In the second.......Moron with power tools. :chainsaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:26 pm 
Kramer Kommander

IMO it does not need to be tight but rather oversized. Then you mount it so it presses against the front side of the pivot screws. The bushings should be fully flush of course. Either way it shouldn't affect the tone at all, since it does not lie in the path of the vibration transfer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:12 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Doc wrote:
And if you want a good laugh and a lesson on how NOT to do it, check out this train wreck. No, you cannot have the 4 minutes of your life back after you watch it, just like this guy can never have his guitar back.
:beer :bong :chainsaw :chainsaw :chainsaw :chainsaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGgxGa0vIJA

dielaughing
Cut the fb & fukd the scale. Never tune up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Quote:
Why not just machine a solid block of brass instead of making the vertical piece screw to the main block? scratch_head

Exactly what I was thinking. They over-engineered it. I bought some brass bar for a few bucks, 1/4" thick by 3/4" wide or something like that - plan is cut to length, measure and drill for holes, press in brass inserts, add a couple smaller holes countersunk in the middle just like the Chinese cheapy, and call it done. The more I thought about it, the more I believe I could pull it off on my drill press without having to bother my machinist friend about it.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:20 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Has anybody got experience with aluminum bridges? I just got a Wilkinson wraparound for the takamine and according to people on the web it has its place as a bridge material. I have a fair bit of thick aluminum angle lying around I use to make motorcycle parts...I. Plus easily make something like this out of aluminum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:05 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I hit the takamine with about 5 coats of black acrylic lacquer and then knocked it back with 400 and 1000 grit paper and installed the posts, the Kramer has about 10 light coats of rustoleun acrylic lacquer (cheaper than the one I’m using for the finish and acts like a primer more or less) and also sanded flat with 400 and 1000 grit wet paper. Going to let this be for another day then tomorrow I will hit the tak with 5 more coats of black and I’ll hit the Kramer with its final coats (hopefully) of candy white (vw paint code) Duplicolor. The takamine has a lot of work done on the top so it needs a bit more finessing, and black is not forgiving!!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next