Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 pm 
Kramer Maniac

So we talk a lot about guitars here, but that is only half the equation. What are you playing them through?

I have a few different things lying about at the moment, but I am finally getting one full rig together. I don't have any photos, I'm afraid, but it currently consists of:

ADA MP-1
TC Electronics G-System
The G-System contains four loopers, currently containing pedals: Boss OD-1, MXR Phase 90, Boss DC-2, Boss HF-2
Marshall 9040 (2x200 w solid state) power amp

I also have a 9100 power amp, which is all tube, but I don't think the difference in tone warrants the extra hassle for me. The only real problem I have with the 9040 is that there is a certain trebly sizzle that is lost compared to a power amp. I will probably get a BBE Sonic Maximizer to get that back in, like Vito Bratta did in his ADA rig.

Regarding cabinets I have a very early Metropolous cabinet with 4 25w Greenback speakers in it. I am planning to make the rig above into a full stereo rig, and will probably be augmenting the rig with 2 1x12's for the wet side soon. I may eventually downsize on the 4x12 as well.

Apart from this I have a Crate Vintage Club 50w, which was my first real amp and is great for what it is (don't let the Crate name fool you!), but I've never really been able to get a sound that felt like my own out of an EL84 amp. It is always a bit too fine and delicate for my tastes – it has a place, but not in my hands. So once things have calmed down for me a bit I might be looking to get rid of this.

But enough about me. What are the rest of you playing through?

Great trades with: bacon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:15 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Honestly I've just been playing and recording through Positive Gird Bias for the past couple of years. There are so many different tone sculpting options when it comes to making a guitar tone on the computer; it's hard to not be able to get a good sound.

However, when I have a gig I'll usually bring my line 6 spider Valve because it's pretty loud if I need it to be and the power amp is wonderful, and I'll pop some pedals up front of a nice clean sound. Typically the Bogner ecstacy Red
Or the Marvel Drive.

Check out my Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/jarrod-beauchemin
Or Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/javamony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:58 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Guitar Rig 5 and Reaper....makes it simple....and I had a rack that would make you think about a rack....You're over thinking it. Stop it. A quick glimpse...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:12 am 
Kramer Maniac

Some really cool stuff there! What did you think of the MP-2?

Great trades with: bacon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 am 
Kramer Maniac

I'm using a Marshall DSL40C & just a delay & an overdrive for random parts. I don't need much overdrive for a two channel amp.

2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
2016 Yamaha APX5000III Acoustic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:29 am 
Kramer Kommander

Peavey Triple XXX EFX40
Randall RD-1
Crate GT-50
Perfect connection GP-1000 preamp (for recording).

Using the Peavey 95% of the time though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:09 am 
Kramer Maniac

I almost feel embarrassed responding to this post. Although I have two killer amps (early 90's Fender "The Twin" reissue and a '85 Marshall JCM 800 50 watt combo, I never use them anymore. The just sit there gathering dust. Almost forgot, I also have a 1991 Crate G130C-XL that hasn't been played in over twenty years. I just run my Boss pedal board through my Tascam recorder and use the studio monitors. I don't have the luxury of playing loud anymore, so I just keep it simple. I don't chase tone, so this works for me.

BTW, I have a BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer if you are interested. I bought it used when I thought the rack thing was the way to go. I still haven't even plugged it in yet. Send me a PM if you wanna talk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:06 am 
Kramer Maniac

Since all of my gigs are in the basement, I may be running a bit more power than I need. I bounce between a 5150 212 combo and a Hull Amp. The Hull (http://www.hullamps.com/) is based on a Princeton Reverb and is hand built from an old Wirlitzer organ - sounds pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 am 
Kramer Maniac

I mostly play through my Eleven Rack. Setup looks like this:

Eleven Rack / GR-55 / Microphone
=> Focusrite
=> Monitors / PC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:20 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Have a Mesa DC2 for the dirt and a Fender Champ 25 for the cleans. Some pedals here and there when I want to experiment. I could downsize to only one amp as your tone is firstly in your fingers.