Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:32 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Amplifier Went Kaput
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 pm 
Kramer Maniac

So I wake up early to pack my bitch a lunch, which I often do. She doesn't mind if I call her my bitch, as long as I get up early (5:30ish) to pack her a healthy lunch. Today, it was a bowl of my homemade tortellini soup, with a small side of grated parmesan cheese, some cut up cantaloupe, some cheese, (smoked gouda), and crackers, and a small, but very respectable caesar salad.

Anywho, after she left, I felt like noodling around a bit. I started with my SG first, then spotted my creme Baretta looking all lonely. The wang bar on my #1 is loose, and I've been too lazy to tighten it, so I'm playing the Baretta more than usual. I'm running through my standard rig, which is a 6505, split to a Blackstar ID30 via a lehle switch. I was playing a little louder than usual, but still only had the ID30 on maybe 3-3 1/2, and the 6505 on 2. It was loud, but in a good way. Unless maybe if you're the neighbor. I've been working on 'Hole in The Sky', and not long into it, the Blackstar made a sound like a space gun firing. Really wierd sound. It quit making noise, but the lights still come on. I immediately shut it off, and let it cool down, although I'm not sure if it was hot at all. About an hour later, I hit the power button, and it just sounds like paper tearing, sort of a pppfffffffttt sound. I'd like to look into it, but not sure of the dangers of transformers and the like. Should I troubleshoot it, or leave it to the pros and take it somewhere. Only been about twelve hours, and I miss it, lol. Honestly, the 6505 is kind of anemic without the Blackstar helping it out. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 pm 
KF ADMIN

To safely discharge the caps pick up a 1000 ohm 100 watt resistor. Solder it inline with an alligator clip and an old test lead.

Clip the alligator clip to your ground buss and then hold the test lead to the positive side of the can caps.

If you hold them there for 30 seconds or so you will completely drain the cap. By adding the resistor you will eliminate the SNAP that you get if you just hit the positive to ground with a screw driver.

ANY time you add power to the amp, repeat the process above.

Anyone that owns a tube amp should have the tool i describe above.

Based on the sound you drive I would look at your tube sockets for scorching.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:44 pm 
Kramer Maniac

ID30 doesn't have tubes does it, thought it was a modelling amp?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:25 am 
Kramer Kommander

It's a transistor amp, no high voltage in there. The bad thing, it's mostly digital and unlikely to be an easy repair unless you can diagnose and swap chips and stuff. Unless it's something really minor, a repair by a pro will probably cost more than getting a new one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:39 am 
Kramer Maniac

That's what I was afraid of. thanks guys.