Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:44 pm 

Anyone here ever change the locking nut from a R3 to a R2? The R3's height is about .050 deeper than the R2. I would need a shim
1.27 mm thick. Plus longer mounting screws. Am I right about this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:23 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Why would you want to do that? scratch_head It won't fit the width of the nut anymore, that looks awful and feels awkward too because the two e/E strings will be further away from the edge of the neck.

You would have to shim it, but the screws should be long enough usually. You can always take off some wood from the back side to sink them deeper if so needed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:57 am 

Well I want to did it for the string spacing. Also to me the high E is a little too close to the edge of the fingerboard. When I do pull-offs on the high E it kind of bugs me. Also when I make say a Bm bar chord on 2nd fret, it seems like I have to slightly adjust my fingers compared to my other guitars I have now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:45 am 
Kramer Kingpin

am5150 wrote:
Well I want to did it for the string spacing. Also to me the high E is a little too close to the edge of the fingerboard. When I do pull-offs on the high E it kind of bugs me. Also when I make say a Bm bar chord on 2nd fret, it seems like I have to slightly adjust my fingers compared to my other guitars I have now.

Everything besides the string spacing is a matter of the angle the neck sits in the body. Just loosen the screws a bit and look how much play there is to correct that angle to your liking.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:13 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Loosening the screws and realigning the neck will most likely fix your issue. If it doesn't, the original nut might be located in the wrong place. Does it hang over on side of the neck? In your case, it would probably be the high string side.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:09 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Can you post some pics, so we can see what the problem looks like? Where do you have it too close to the edge, on the nut side or further down the neck?

R2 won't help regarding the high e, because it stays in the same position. The spacing gets reduced towards the thick strings side, so you will only have the low E further away from the edge with it.

If the nut is mounted with some offset towards the high e, you'll have to plug and redrill the nut mounting holes. Same goes for the neck being tilted sidewards, plug and redrill. Maybe a small shim in the neck pocket from the side can help if it's not too much.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:26 pm 
Kramer Maniac

lespauled wrote:
Loosening the screws and realigning the neck will most likely fix your issue. If it doesn't, the original nut might be located in the wrong place. Does it hang over on side of the neck? In your case, it would probably be the high string side.

I am thinking this as well^^^^ and R2, although narrower, is not the right approach.

My guess is neck alignment is out. Does the one E string ride close to the edge while the opposite E string has a lot of room?
(especially near the 22nd fret)