Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:24 am 
Kramer Maniac

Hi Everybody! First off, I'm new here and recently got my first Kramer. Made a trade. For those of you that don’t care about the details, here is the finished product, a Kramer Focus 6000.

After agreeing on a trade, some slight delays and good communication later, the body and neck arrived on Friday (super-well packed may I add). He did offer to take off the stickers but I insisted as it was part of the restoration process.

Body has some wear and tear, but in good shape, and the neck was damn near mint. The back of it has no dings, and the frets were in extremely good shape. It was like the neck had been sitting in a case, and the body was at the mercy of a child’s toy room haha. Some Windex and elbow grease later I decided to shield the cavity, and give it an admittedly rushed wiring job. The pickup in there is an Alternative 8 that I’ve had kicking around for awhile. I have no intention of adding SC’s or wiring up the switches at this point.

I was originally planning on this process taking a good week or so, but after talking to my bassist he convinced me to at least throw it together to show him at rehearsal on Sunday. So I through the neck on (great fit in the pocket), the trem on (Gotoh Floyd) and strung ‘er up…and that was it. Thing was playable right away.

I was expecting to have to adjust the neck after a day or so but the damn thing hasn’t moved. Straight as an arrow. It obviously needs a few tweaks (and some screws!) including intonation, but it wasn’t that off. They were ALL slightly sharp byt the same amount (so +1 on Gotoh’s initial settings).
I brought it to rehersal to show the guys and to have a quick run through my rig…ended up using it for the entire 3 hours.
The alternative 8 was certainly interesting, very articulate and clear, harmonics were great. Still not sure what I think though as it may be a little too clinical and stiff, but we’ll have to give ‘er a few more goes. If I had to keep it in, it certainly wouldn’t stop me from picking it up.
----------------------------------
So Onto the questions. Below are pictures of the neck and neck pocket. I have read up on Vintage Kramer etc. but was wondering if someone could help date this as well as who made it / which factory? I believe it would be an 86-87?

Thanks So Much!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

Welcome aboard.
Good looking work horse! :headbang

It was MIJ by ESP, that's why it's got some quality, late 85/early 86.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:35 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Looks like the taped jack plate might set the latest trend. :poke

Seriously, that looks like you got all the basics covered. Welcome to the forum. Love the focus guitars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:02 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Kongratz and welcome aboard :toast .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:13 am 
Kramer Maniac

Thanks everyone! Been looking at Kramers for awhile and was lucky this popped up when it did.

-kremark: It's pretty sad I know, but there is one screw in there! Out of all the parts I had floating around the only things I didn't have were screws for the jack plate and string retainer bar (I pulled that one from another guitar for now) and new pickup ring screws...Don't worry, they're on the way hah.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 am 
Kramer Kommander

kremark wrote:
Looks like the taped jack plate might set the latest trend. :poke

"I'm a little bit Van Halen"? :roll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:14 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Congrats for you new acquisition. As all we know here, it won't be your last one...
I understand you got both in the same trade. I am not surprized they are not in the same shape. Because I think there are not built from the same year. I do not myself remember of a 6000 with such a headstock shape. I can't see in the pics. Does it say "6000" after Focus? scratch_head
Anyway that is my prefered color, hope you will let it as it is.
Again congrats and welcome :thumbs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:06 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Thank you! No plans to paint 'er.

It does say 6000 on the headstock. I will ask him about the history since he had it (and when he acquired it) and see if we can solve this mystery haha.

what does the headstock remind you of? I'll try and remember to take a better picture of it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:34 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Kamanda wrote:
It does say 6000 on the headstock.

Ok, thanks! So I feel totally bozo on this one. If it says 6000 so 6000 it is. This one should be an early one. I did not remember of such a headstock shape on 6000. This is transitional shape between banana and pointy: We often see such shape on focus 1000 and 3000.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Here's another ..... not very well lit.....but a 6000 probably the first year they were rounded pointys.