Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:55 pm 
Kramer Maniac

SWANTECH wrote:
2112 wrote:
Was mine a few years back. Nothing original. Had a Gotoh trem on it when I had it.

Any more info you can give?
Was neck and body always together? Or is this purely a parts mutt?
I haven't got this yet.
I am kind of P'O'd that the ebay seller did not disclose this in his description.
If the body and neck are good. I can make it a player.

I saw this on the FB page. The seller claimed it was all original there, but that the neck had been refinished. Needless to say, I didn't believe it for a second.

I do not think that the neck and body originally would have belonged together. As far as I can tell, the double-lower-horn-cutaway models were introduced when headstocks with binding had been adopted, and I have never seen one of those without the binding. That being said, there are people who know this stuff way better than I do.

It is still a cool axe though, and one I wish I had owned! :)

Great trades with: bacon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 am 
Kramer Maniac

Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but recently I was communicating with this same seller about a nicely refinished Focus beak neck he also had for sale. I had some back and forth with him about the beak neck, and he seemed pretty upfront and honest about what it was. Also, apparently he lives near Vince M and said he has been over there a couple times. Seller is aware of this thread on this forum, and also he has screen shots saved of the original listing from when he purchased the ff white retta. So might not wanna talk shit (not that anybody really has yet), but I'm just sayin...

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:43 am 
Kramer Maniac

Should have updated this thread.
The guitar is a great guitar, in great condition. It played good, sounded good.
I created this post about the guitar because I needed to decide on what direction to go with this guitar.
If the guitar had an original neck and body but was refinished.
I would have invested into it, and put original parts back on it. Parts like the Schaller tuning machines, an original Floyd Rose, and an original Duncan JB.
If this guitar was a Mutt. I would not put my vintage parts into it.
I believe this guitar is a mutt. NO BIG DEAL. It is a great guitar. There was a bonus. The Invader pickup was a MJ pickup. I actually liked the maple neck more than I thought I would.
As usual.
I took the guitar completely apart, cleaned, polished, then put it all back together. I replaced the failing pot. Then rewired the guitar. I installed copper shielding. I installed an original back plate. I set it up. The guitar sounds fantastic and plays amazing.
I would keep this guitar as a player.
BUT.
I really just want one Baretta. (except for my 45acp, and 9mm) That is a whole different addiction. LOL.
I just can't get used to the R5 neck. So it is going to be passed to the next guitarist with all the info I gained on it.
Thanks everyone! Onto the next Baretta.
I found an 84 in black. Maybe this will be the one.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:33 am 
Kramer Maniac

I can give you more history regarding this guitar. It is either one of two Rettas that I used to own. I sold one to 2112 and the other went to Australia. Retta #1 that was sold to 2112 was bought in Philadelphia off of Craigslist. The seller got the parts from a friend who got them from the factory sales. He had the guitar painted with the Cadillac pearl paint that they used on the cars in the mid 2000's, so it would look like FF white on the surface, but it isn't. It had an oversized neckplate on it when I bought it, so I don't know if the neckplate holes were redrilled. The volute on the back of the neck was sanded, so that may be a point of reference to you. Here are some pics to compare.

Body #2 that went to Australia had deep countersunk holes where the neckplate went. These were also firesale parts that were bought off of ebay. Seller never had a neck plate and did a crappy job of ruining those holes. Not sure what you found when you disassembled your guitar, but I wanted to share these pics in case this is what you found.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 pm 
Kramer Maniac

^ Cool, there ya go!
I know from talking with seller that this is the guitar once owned by 2112 (of course, 2112 himself already offered that information earlier), so Dell has just served as "the missing link" while added a bunch of information to the historical timeline.
This forum is really cool the way information comes together.
Swantech, your request has been fulfilled. Now you know most of the the history or your axe from factory up to present time.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:18 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Ok. So I updated my sales listing to add the new info.
The guitar has some of my touches done to it.
Now I guess I pass it on to the next person to modify it. LOL.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR