Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Beak neck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:41 am 
Kramer Kommander

I am quite certain I had two beak Foci which were different, with full-width nut shelf and thick slab board.

But all I can find now is this one, which fits neither your description nor my memory:

Way thicker board than what I have here, doesn't look radiused either. Small shelf though... I'm puzzled.

But I can now reasonably ass-ume that it's a focus neck, so all is fine :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:52 am 
Kramer Kommander

Nothing wrong with those focus necks. Quality stuff.
Looking at the headstock on your neck, is there evidence of paint anywhere? In the tuner holes? There is defo some new clear in them. Under the nut looks like a strip of black along the edge?
The lack of real documentation makes the ID difficult. Just speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:06 am 
Kramer Kommander

Nope, quite certain it's the original finish, even the front of the headstock. The black stuff in the shelf is just some dirt on top. I can see no traces of sanding or refin on any edges, corners, holes etc. Looks to me like only the logo got removed, but there was enough clear coat below it to avoid a refin.

Workmanship is not a question, I just hope the wood is as good as the stuff used for US models, regarding tone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:48 am 
Kramer Maniac

I thought ESP made all the strat head necks, most of the beaks (Sports made some), the grails, trannies and 3 piece pointies. If this has a narrow nut shelf and is drilled for a narrow neckplate, there is a very good chance it came off a Pacer. It was probably made in Japan regardless (which is no bad thing).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:59 am 
Kramer Kommander

I don't care where it was made but which wood was used. Not visible but audible once it's completed. These older ones should be fine I think.

My knowledge is that ESP got involved in 83 with Focus and 85 with US models, but I'm not sure. I think Pacer beaks and Stratheads were US-made, ESP came in with pointy headstocks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:36 pm 
Kramer Maniac

My Pacer Carrera has ~15" or 16" radius fretboard... apart from that, US beaks should be ~9.5" or 10", I guess 9.5" is the correct spec as they were basically Strat copy necks...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:56 pm 
Kramer Maniac

From VK:

1981-82 Strat copy headstocks (A8000s-B2000) - Made by ESP
1982-84 "Classic", "Chicken Beak" headstocks (B2000s-C5000s) - Made by ESP, smaller batch made by Sports (usually 1 3/4 nut necks)
1983-84 Non-angled, Baretta, "Banana" or "Hockeystick" headstocks (C3000-C5000) - Made by ESP
1984-late 85 "Banana" or "Hockeystick' headstocks (C5000s-E2000s) - Made by LaSiDo, Sports, and ESP
1986-90 "Pointy Droopy" or "Shark" headstocks(E2000s-G series) - Made by ESP and LaSiDo
1990-"hockey stick" heads again (could have been sold as NOS parts at the close out and mostly never associated with a serial number or neckplate). Also used on Mick Mars signature models that were only marketed and sold in Japan. - Made by ESP

There's very little mention of radius though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:55 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Wow, great info there, thanks :yourock My scarf-joint nanner Imp was 16" and all the beak Pacers I had were 10 or 9.5. And I had several Foci with 12" but with a wide and even a bit recessed nut shelf, unlike this one.

Nevermind, after I did some whiping, bending and knocking tests, it really feels rock-solid and has a nice, clear high-pitched basic tone. It will rip once installed. The frets don't have that much wear so I'll try it first before leveling - maybe it won't even need it yet.

The mystery of the origin is solved though, see further below :)

Pics - first for Tony, I tried to photograph it but it didn't really work, you need both hands for measuring to hold it straight. I measured in several places along the neck both wood and frets and it's 16" everywhere.

Locking Schaller tuners are just for comfort of course, saves work and looks neat too. Have to steam out that dent on the front upper edge though.

Very thin fretboard and side dots at the joint line:

Frets look worse then they really are, they're wide and low so the pits are actually minimal:

It'll get this nice Lockmeister in nickel:

And finally, the resolution: this is a standard Strat neckplate, thus clearly a Focus neck. Which is actually good and will save some doweling work, it'll be required for 1 or 2 holes in worst case.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:35 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Whipping, not "whiping" above...