Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:06 pm 
Kramer Maniac

This will be my first time drilling for Floyd post inserts, so hoping you guys can check me before I do the deed.

I haven't been able to do much actual work on guitars in quite a while, so glad to finally be onto something. My luthier friend has a little stash of NOS Kramer parts, and he is teaching me how to translate my experience with woodworking and finish carpentry to start building up some Kramers just like the ones I loved back in the day. We were just getting started last fall, then the NorCal fires torched his property where his shop is. Lots of losses there; good news is the workshop and Kramer parts mostly survived, but it's taken months of rehab to get the place back up to condition to do work. We're finally there.

I had started last year on a red crackle PC1, which I'm also getting back on, but in the meantime, I've heard members here and other people talk about scarcity of lefties. Thus decided to first build up a lefty, as this body looked perfect except for a couple deep scratches; I sanded those out, now just need to polish the finish back to gloss. I figure now is probably a good time to drill and install post inserts? I've got all the measurements and specs for where to put the posts, pretty confident I can get that right. The neck fits nice and snug, so I figured I'll bolt it solid while I measure and mark for the Floyd post holes, then go ahead and drill and install inserts before any more finish work?

1. Does this seem correct in sequence, or am I overlooking something?
2. Does the body and Floyd route look correct? I've only ever had Kramers without Floyd routes, so to me this looks weird with how thin the wood is where it must hold the posts, but maybe this is normal and just the way it is.
3. The inserts just get pressed in as opposed to glued in?

Some more questions for later, but:
4. Should I wire this with 1 volume and 2 tones, or older-style config with 2 volumes and 1 tone?
5. Black or chrome for the hardware on this one? I've got 2 lefty Floyds, one black & one chrome.
It's a little complicated, because for a future build, we have a pristine Classic II Tele body (probably my favorite of the whole lot, sad I'm not lefty or I would keep it) beautiful creamy vintage white with contrast brighter white binding, and we have the correct neck for it. So whichever lefty Floyd I use here, the other one will go on the Tele. For the Tele, I'm thinking chrome would be more "correct," but black would probably look super sick against the cream body with white binding! Decision to make about that, interested in peoples' thoughts...

Right now mostly interested in making sure I don't screw up this body when I drill it, so thanks everybody for any and all observations or advice.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:50 pm 
Kramer Kommander

You should use some wood glue, just a little though. Use a 10mm wood drill with a flat tip/guiding thorn, since those are well controllable and won't pull while drilling. And the good old "measure thrice, cut once" always applies, especially regarding the depth.

If you do screw up the position, you can still dowel and re-drill.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Doc, regarding drilling the neck bolts I would do one thing prior and that is lay the bridge in position and lock something like fishing line in both E saddles and run them taught through their respective positions in the nut. This allows you to ensure that the Floyd route and the snugly fitted neck provides good relief with respect to the strings. You want to avoid the unpleasant surprise that could occur if you drill the neck and later find that the low E string for example rides way too close to the edge of the finger board while the high e string is way too far away from the opposite side. Find out now. If it has a similar issue you can hopefully wiggle the neck up or down to even up the relief. The floyd route leaves you limited bridge movement laterally, so worst case leaves only the nut ( which means you can only move the neck within the pocket.)
Other than that it sounds like a good plan partner!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 pm 
Kramer Kommander

I use two old strings for that ^^

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

As long as you have the center line from neck pocket to Floyd rout correct, you should be good. :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:18 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Doc, my advice would be not to drill any holes at all and sell everything pictured to me so you can work on something else. :jump :roll dielaughing

86 Focus 1000 White
87 Focus 1000 Black
87 American Pacer Custom II project
88 Focus 700ST Bass
85 Ferrington KFS-2
Righty 86 Ferrington KFS-2
2000 FR-422SML

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:01 am 
Kramer Maniac

Probably will sell when I'm done to finance more builds, so watch and make sure I don't f#<k anything up, maybe you'll wanna buy it!! To bad you're not in Cali, would be great to have a lefty to help me set it up and test drive it when it's done.
shrug

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Doc wrote:
Probably will sell when I'm done to finance more builds, so watch and make sure I don't f#<k anything up, maybe you'll wanna buy it!! To bad you're not in Cali, would be great to have a lefty to help me set it up and test drive it when it's done.
shrug

Hey doc,i want that neck man!!

if u got any left over lefty parts.let me know cash in hand at any time,wld love to see the lefty tele pics??

luv that binding on the neck too,gonna be sweet axe when ur done,if u sell it,let me know?

86 Kramer Pacer Custom
1992 ibanez 170L
(all leftys)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:04 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Honestly, if it was mine I would sell it, but the neck and body don't belong to me. It's from a small stash that my friend has at his shop, and he isn't interested is being a seller of parts. We're just having fun building them out while trying to combine and assemble random NOS parts to be as true as possible to the original Neptune guitars. Problem is my life is just too busy to afford much time for guitars (e.g., these freaking trem insert holes still not drilled yet), so it's just gonna go slow... Even though parts mostly NFS, trades could work. Example, we've got more of those lefty sustainer necks, so if somebody had a mint righty neck and wanted to trade...

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Doc wrote:
Honestly, if it was mine I would sell it, but the neck and body don't belong to me. It's from a small stash that my friend has at his shop, and he isn't interested is being a seller of parts. We're just having fun building them out while trying to combine and assemble random NOS parts to be as true as possible to the original Neptune guitars. Problem is my life is just too busy to afford much time for guitars (e.g., these freaking trem insert holes still not drilled yet), so it's just gonna go slow... Even though parts mostly NFS, trades could work. Example, we've got more of those lefty sustainer necks, so if somebody had a mint righty neck and wanted to trade...

U gotta a pic of one of those lefty necks? Ive got a really nice 86 amercian and 87 big k american rightys,i might be inclined to trade..??

86 Kramer Pacer Custom
1992 ibanez 170L
(all leftys)