Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 am 
Kramer Maniac

Hey everyone, me name is Adam and I live in a little place called Yarker in Ontario, Canada. I’ve been playing guitar most of my life and have always been a fan of the 80s glam metal and just metal in general. Kramer has obviously been a guitar brand I’ve always wanted but never had one unfortunately...until now! I’ve been finally d used to get a proper guitar collection that fills all the needs I have in guitar playing and I needed a proper shred axe to play metal on so I decided to make a superstrat out of the parts I have lying around, until my buddy bought an f3000 for 100 bucks but needed help fixing it. I said forget it and just had him sell it to me for 100 bucks :). I figured the focus was perfect for me as it’s a less valuable Kramer but based on my experience with my takamine gx100t I know the japs made quality instruments!

Anyways, it’s all I could ask for in a metal guitar, but I have some issues now that I want to address before I begin the transformation. Based on the neck plate I think it has been swapped out for a USA model, which sucks, but whatever. Can the markings in the neck pocket tell anyone anything about date of manufacture? Lastly I have never used a real Floyd bridge, is this a real one kr has that been pilfered too? I have never seen the bridge studs mounted in a plate like this before, is that a Kramer thing or just a real Floyd thing that got left behind with the fake Floyd?

I’m going to remove the botched fretboard and have a flamed maple fretboard on order from reverb...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 am 
KF ADMIN

:worthless

How to post pictures

viewtopic.php?f=34&p=15783#p15783

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 am 
Kramer Kommander

Welcome! Post some pics, hard to tell without seeing it...

:worthless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:54 am 
Kramer Kommander

Good to see a fellow cunuckistanian! :headbang
The plate that holds the posts is a after market fix for a likely broken treble post hole. :chainsaw
Pics defo would help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:12 pm 
Kramer Kommander

One of these.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:19 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

Welcome. Pics. We need pics here :toast .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:04 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Sorry fellas, I had to wait to get approved as it was my first post, and I had to get an imgbb account etc... that was kind of lame. Anyways, here is my best shot at posting some pics!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:23 pm 
Kramer Kommander

That trem is a japanese floyd copy, either unstamped Gotoh or Takeuchi. Those were available from MightyMite or GFS and such, also japanese Fenders and Charvels often had them. It's one of the better copies out there and very usable, but it's not the original.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:27 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Thanks! So it likely is the original bridge then? From my understanding of things my guitar is an 87 or 88...is that when they stopped putting true Floyd’s in?

On another note I started sanding my body down and it looks to be a 3 or 4 piece body (basswood??) it has very little character and it’s very clear white and light weight. I like basswoods on strats and I figure it will smooth out the sound from the all maple neck. Strangely there is a dark gray brown veneer over the top and back of the body...not going to sand through it, just get rid of the paint and I’m refinishing in some flashy colour. Thinking either yellow or Candy blue or purple or green with marble fade hydrogen lynch tiger stripes. The neck will be dyed black and the flamed maple fretboard will be dyed black but sanded back to be black flamed style. I was thinking Jason Becker style number frets but I’m not sure if that’s going too far into the 80s...lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Here’s what else I’m doing today...took my aforementioned takamine gx100t that I’m rebuilding for the third time...lol vveneered some camphorwood burl on the headstock and dyed it purple, put the same camphor onto the now blocked off teen cavity and will be matching it to the quilted mahogany body. The top has been leveled with epoxy and a false binding was added using epoxy to fill the bevels they originally had. The cavity was filled with oak blocks and epoxy. Also I am polishing my newly refinished (using Duplicolor rattle cans ) 1984 ninja 900 :). I think I’m living in the 80s a bit lol