Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:02 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 pm 
Kramer Maniac

When the old KF went kaput, I was getting this neck a new slotted finger board and that was my first time removing and replacing one of these. It takes a long time for me to get all the necessary tools and parts together (as in forking out the cash) maybe because I am a notorious procrastinator.
So this is my first complete fret job. Most of the tools are here but the sanding/leveling beam is being shipped presently. I used YouTube university for inspiration and guidance (what would I do without it!) This is fun and I will try to improve with future projects.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:32 am 
Kramer Maniac

Dude... that is badass!!
Looks great! I hope you will share your experience reflecting back after you get it completed, I would be interested to hear about your process and your thoughts/feelings having tackled this for the the first time.
Do you have a body for it?

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:56 am 
Kramer Kingpin

I remember this one. You swapped the RW board for a maple one. I did wonder what happened to it.
Looks good so far! :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 am 
Kramer Kommander

Awesome work and it's got some nice flamey grain too :headbang I remember doing my first refret, it's one hell of a feeling once you see it taking shape :thumbs and saves you lots of cash in the long run.

I would maybe add a bit more more angle to the fret edges for more comfort, but you can fine-tune that later. Works best with a wide, flat straight file with medium/fine grain.

What method did you use to remove the original fretboard?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:57 am 
Kramer Kingpin

I remember the start of this too. Looks killer so far :headbang .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 am 
Kramer Maniac

The method employed to remove the original rosewood board was based on the everyday iron and a moistened towel. I just heated the towel directly over the finger board and applied pressure using my weight. Maybe 2 minutes over the same spot and removed the iron and then I used a flat metal taping knife to separate the seam. One small area at a time.
Still have some more to do on this project, but I will use this thread to update the progress of the guitar as the body is also a rescue. Admittedly I will be sharing things that may already have been seen, but photo-suckit wiped out. :bang
This is the beavered focus body before the rescue:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 am 
Kramer Kommander

Ouch... that picture hurts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:39 am 
KF ADMIN

Quote:
Admittedly I will be sharing things that may already have been seen, but photo-suckit wiped out. :bang

Between the previous proprietor and photo-kick-the-bucket you have spent a lot of time sharing your projects that none of us are able to see. toliet

Just remember that all your pictures on photo bucket are not lost. Do like I did and sit down one day when something mindless is on TV (NASCAR starts today in fact) and grab all your pictures in folders.....

PLEASE SIR- do not hesitate to start the threads over. First- there is a bunch of folks that were never at the old place. Second- they are SAFE here. This place is not going anywhere..... :rant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:08 pm 
Kramer Maniac

You're right Tony. I will not hesitate as the above photo is from my photobucket file and will retrieve and reshare. :thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 am 
Kramer Maniac

The hilarious wood shop mishap of a body would need a new start, so I decided to route out a workable shape and replace the open space with a poplar block.

After the space was filled I decided to use some paint stripper and discovered that the poor body was originally candy blue under the gloss black rattle can job.

The decision was made to go with a pickup configuration similar to a Japan market LK-1BF Kramer and a yellow finish.