Kramer Ferrington refurb

Discussions and pictures of Kramers that are brought back from the disaster area.
9am53
Kramer Maniac

Kramer Ferrington refurb

Post by 9am53 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:04 am

As I tend to do I pick up project guitars to save a little money and then spend the savings either refurbishing them if they're worth it or making them more custom to my liking if they're too far gone or not a particularly special piece. In this case I got a decent condition white tele ferrington with no electronics and the bridge removed. Gluing the bridge will be easy, and thanks to this place I got an original pre-amp, however the piezo and saddle bits that I got were ruined and I dont think its worth trying to salvage them. I will be carving a new saddle for the bridge out of a block of cocobolo that I have, and I just received a replacement pickup set. I wanted to use the original preamp so afaik (I've never had an electric acousic or piezo) I had to use another piezo of some sort, but as we all know the under saddle ones you can buy are too narrow. I contacted Shadow but they're incommunicado likely due to the Rona or just because I was a small fry customer. I did some looking around at different options that would fit the bracing thats inside the body cavity that would be hidden. I really dont want to see a pickup across the soundhole and I dont want to make any permanent cuts or holes that I dont need. I was looking at the I Beam units and such but I dont think they would work due to the guitars bracing. What I ended up with is a "Journey Instruments" 3 transducer piezo system. It was reasonably priced, the clips I heard online were to my liking and it can be stuck under the bridge inside the soundhole. It also came with the correct plug to simply plug into the ferrington preamp, so to the naked eye it will look and hopefully perform like an original ferrington. If however I dont like the sound it also came with 2 different 1/4" barrel jacks to connect to, so I could potentially remove the original ferrington 1/4" output and install one of these barrel jacks to plug into and use an acoustic preamp pedal or whatever other kind of preamp I want. I realize there are no pics here, but I promise I will post some. Hopefully these pickups sound good and this could potentially be a good option for other ferringtons down the road.
It may not be long, but it sure is skinny!

9am53
Kramer Maniac

Re: Kramer Ferrington refurb

Post by 9am53 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 am

I’m slow, I managed one picture sofar :)

I removed the plastic saddle that all of the little saddle piece chiclets sit in. I have started shaping my beautiful piece of cocobolo to replace the plastic crap that was there from the factory. This wood is hard, tap tone is like glass.

photo host site

9am53
Kramer Maniac

Post by 9am53 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:49 am

I’ve got my saddle piece fitting very nice and snug into the bridge. I am now at the stage where I will be carving the top of the saddle for the strings and will need to add my compensation. Do you more experienced guys recommend me picking string gauge I like and stringing it and individually finding the correct compensation for each string and carving it that way? Or is there a simpler way like a calculator to figure out exact lengths to 12 for a given action height and string gauge?

2012 subaru outback 0 60

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:37 pm

That depends on the strings you'll be using, both brand/type and gauge. No magic formula bare the general setup rules as a rough reference.

9am53
Kramer Maniac

Post by 9am53 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:01 pm

I’m just used to movable saddles so you can string it up and adjust after. I don’t want to carve this and find out my strings are all off...

9am53
Kramer Maniac

Post by 9am53 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:03 pm

I’m thinking I’ll just get it to the height I want and then string each string up and adjust by attrition

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Here's one handy tool. Bit expensive for a one off job though:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... ing+Canada

9am53
Kramer Maniac

Post by 9am53 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:39 am

Hey that is kind of cool. I have a stewmax subscription and havent used it yet, maybe I should order this shrug