Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:45 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Baretta bodies made in Japan for the U.S. market, and the JK-1000 bodies made in Japan for the Japanese market? I know the wood types varied over the years, but otherwise they appear to be very similar, if not identical. Is there any noteworthy difference between the two that I'm not seeing? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm 
Kramer Maniac

YouGotBroke wrote:
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Baretta bodies made in Japan for the U.S. market, and the JK-1000 bodies made in Japan for the Japanese market? I know the wood types varied over the years, but otherwise they appear to be very similar, if not identical. Is there any noteworthy difference between the two that I'm not seeing? Thanks.

Japan body smaller overall. Top line is more scooped on a Focus. The lower bout on a Focus has a flat spot by the strap button. Sports bodies also sported a different pickup route, different trem route, and different shaped contours overall.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm 
Kramer Maniac

It's not a Focus body, it's a JK-1000. My understanding is that these models were a step above the Focus line, although I don't know if they are cosmetically the same as the Focus.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:32 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Having owned both in guitar and parts, I couldn't distinguish between either JK 1000 or Focus 1000, from the same years. I think 1987 on they were very close to a Baretta in terms of shape. Some of the earlier Focus bodies have a lower bout "roundness" similar to the Pacers and Baretta of '83-'84, but those bodies were Pacer Special or Imperial style, and I hadn't encountered an earlier Focus or JK body with a rounded lower bout and slanted pickup, with the larger horns of the early Baretta or Pacer bodies, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

One distinguishing feature of earlier Sports bodies that is not seen of Japan bodies is how the top (bass side) edge was sanded/treated. On a Sports body, that top edge is almost one smooth continuous shape from horn to arm bevel. On a Japanese body, typically, that edge is "thicker" and "squarer" for lack of better word.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:40 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

JK & Focus 1000s were essentially the same. Biggest difference was the neck singles.
ESP cut the JK/Focus & American bodies '87 & on.
Prior, Sports cut the American stuff so there were many visual differences. Most notable was the rounded butt on the Sports bodies vs a flat one on the focus with a skinnier waist.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:39 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I know that the Pacer Deluxe and F3000 bodies are different where the body extends further up the neck on the high E side on the Pacer. Is this true for Barettas too?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:26 am 
Kramer Maniac

80sChris wrote:
I know that the Pacer Deluxe and F3000 bodies are different where the body extends further up the neck on the high E side on the Pacer. Is this true for Barettas too?

As far as I know, yes....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:27 am 
Kramer Maniac

I ask because I decided to build my next project using an '88 JK-1000 body. It does not have a single in the neck, just an angled humbucker and non-recessed Floyd route. I don't have a Baretta body to do a side-by-side comparison, but it looks nearly identical as far as I can tell. There is a ton of information on the U.S. models and the Focus line, but not as much on the JK series. The biggest difference I've found is that this one is alder, which is fine with me. I know the early Barettas were mostly maple, I'm not sure if alder was commonly used for the later ones or not. They were probably whatever wood ESP had on hand at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:17 pm 
Kramer Maniac

The only major difference was the JK was a Japanese market line of guitars. Focus was mainly the Japanese import line for the USA and American series. Otherwise they're virtually the same deal.

They made JKs out of alder, maple, even ash (or maybe Japanese sen). The JK was their top line, and the LK was a more budget conscious line.

87 and beyond, the similarities in body shapes should be a lot closer, since ESP was making them all. In 86 it seems that Kramer tried to differentiate the body shapes somewhat to make the American line more rounded in the lower bout. Around 83 or so when they introduced the Focus line, the body shapes were nearly identical (except for the way the contours were sanded), and many Focus guitars had the early Pacer control route! However, the input jacks were counterbored, making them inset. But they even had the oval pickup routes. The trem routes were modified slightly, as tiny pilots were drilled at the corners before routing, leaving "sharper" corners. Again, I had never seen a slant-hum Focus with a Pacer control route, nor oval pickup route, but there exist Focus 1000s and Focus 2000s that are very similar to the 83 Pacer Specials and Imperials. Another thing - a Focus 2000 did not have the extra tone knob of a Pacer Imperial.