Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:11 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 am 
Kramer Maniac

I LOVE that color! How did I not know this was being let go - maybe I did and just don't remember. Louie, lemme know if you ever decide to let it go or if you might consider trade for something of equal/greater value. Whatcha like?
:mrgreen

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 pm 
Kramer Maniac

The Imperial or Special? Both candy blue, though the Imperial has the "vignette" around the edges.

The Imperial body I got from Tony (menace); was posted in the classifieds a while back....

The Pacer Special body, you probably wouldn't have known about. When Mike Mojabi sold the prototype Aztec Swan, I remembered he had that body and neck that he sent to Gibson (my long term memory still functions because that was around 2002-2003), and asked him if he still had it. Lo and behold, he did, in the same state returned to him from Jim Rosenberg...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:02 am 
Kramer Maniac

Oh I thought it was a transparent blue burst, which I've been gassing for big time. This are both beautiful though!
That Special is really gonna be something special for sure!

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am 
Kramer Maniac

louieatienza wrote:
Pcruis1 wrote:
Love the body and maple board. Is that neck from a Pacer? It looks quite a bit different than my hockey headstocks from the same era. Regardless, looks great!

This is a neck from a later (post 2014) Kramer "1984". The 1984 was never really based on a production model other than the Pacer Special body. The original neck was custom made by Paul Unkert by gluing pieces to a beak neck, from wood taken from a headboard in Unkert's parent's home. In fact in you look at a closeup of the 5150 headstock you can see where the fill where the original tuner holes were, sunken in a little.

As fate would have it, I now own the EXACT neck that this neck is based on. It was a neck that was in the custom shop when Bill Connolly was there - some say it was a production prototype, some say Billy made it himself. Either way, it was made using Paul Unkert's original template. Anyways, Billy sold the neck (and NOS Pacer body) to Mike Mojabi back in 1994 or so. When talks on the original Kramer forum started about what they wanted to see from Kramer, many said they wanted to see a guitar like Eddie's 5150. So Mike sent the neck and body to Jim Rosenberg at Gibson to have templated, around 2002-2003.

I will say the neck profile is dead on. Headstock shape too, along with the tuner hole location. Only differences are the volute and Floyd nut mount, and oddle the dot spacing at the 12th fret (which looks like Gibson's). These pics dated 2008, but I'm pretty sure they were taken in 2003. Can tell by the crappy resolution. On it are the notes written by Jim R.

Image84 template neck 1 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Image84 template neck 2 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Image84 template neck 3 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Image84 template neck 4 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Image1984 template body 1 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Interestingly, all Kramer 1984 necks are maple, with the original ones having walnut skunk stripes, and the newer imports with a darker wood, looks like rosewood or pau ferro.

So what do the notes say?

And why did they not get the volute right is beyond me. All of them made by Gibson have weird volutes. And they didn't bother going the extra mile to do the nut mount correct, or get the beak shape right for the Pacer reissues. :bang

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:50 am 
Kramer Maniac

Doc wrote:
Oh I thought it was a transparent blue burst, which I've been gassing for big time. This are both beautiful though!

I very much doubt there is a blueburst that's a transparent blueburst, but metallic/candy blueburst.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 pm 
Kramer Maniac

HowlinWolf wrote:
louieatienza wrote:
Pcruis1 wrote:
Love the body and maple board. Is that neck from a Pacer? It looks quite a bit different than my hockey headstocks from the same era. Regardless, looks great!

This is a neck from a later (post 2014) Kramer "1984". The 1984 was never really based on a production model other than the Pacer Special body. The original neck was custom made by Paul Unkert by gluing pieces to a beak neck, from wood taken from a headboard in Unkert's parent's home. In fact in you look at a closeup of the 5150 headstock you can see where the fill where the original tuner holes were, sunken in a little.

As fate would have it, I now own the EXACT neck that this neck is based on. It was a neck that was in the custom shop when Bill Connolly was there - some say it was a production prototype, some say Billy made it himself. Either way, it was made using Paul Unkert's original template. Anyways, Billy sold the neck (and NOS Pacer body) to Mike Mojabi back in 1994 or so. When talks on the original Kramer forum started about what they wanted to see from Kramer, many said they wanted to see a guitar like Eddie's 5150. So Mike sent the neck and body to Jim Rosenberg at Gibson to have templated, around 2002-2003.

I will say the neck profile is dead on. Headstock shape too, along with the tuner hole location. Only differences are the volute and Floyd nut mount, and oddle the dot spacing at the 12th fret (which looks like Gibson's). These pics dated 2008, but I'm pretty sure they were taken in 2003. Can tell by the crappy resolution. On it are the notes written by Jim R.

Image84 template neck 1 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Image84 template neck 2 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Image84 template neck 3 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Image84 template neck 4 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Image1984 template body 1 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Interestingly, all Kramer 1984 necks are maple, with the original ones having walnut skunk stripes, and the newer imports with a darker wood, looks like rosewood or pau ferro.

So what do the notes say?

And why did they not get the volute right is beyond me. All of them made by Gibson have weird volutes. And they didn't bother going the extra mile to do the nut mount correct, or get the beak shape right for the Pacer reissues. :bang

On the neck, one note says "5150 neck Jim R.", another says "skunk stripe should end at 1st fret", and on the other it says "change heel to fit neck pocket". Off the top of my head but pretty close.

The body says "volume knob only, delete tone and toggle holes" and the other about the neck pocket size being OK.

The original 1984 guitars that came out in 2003 had the correct volute and rear-bolted Floyd nut. But that was a big problem with teh early non-tilt necks back in '83-'84, and I would have to venture it became a problem again. So it looks they extended the volte and used top-mount Floyd nuts. Wasn't just a problem with Kramers, I've seen Jacksons and Charvels and BC Rich guitars develop cracks at that area. Coupled with the huge headstock which acts like a big lever during a drop or hit, and the severe whammy bar activity that is done with such guitars, it can be prone to damage. More than a few Grail necks have either been repaired or replaced altogether.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:03 pm 
Kramer Maniac

HowlinWolf wrote:
Doc wrote:

I very much doubt there is a blueburst that's a transparent blueburst, but metallic/candy blueburst.

Sorry I screwed up the thread title a bit.....