Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:56 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:03 am 

Hello folks!

I thaught I would ask this here as I imagine some people here may have played both variants of the sm-1.

There is a shop which has both the emg variant and seymour variant of the sm-1 but it is a bit of a massive mission to drive to and stock of this guitar is looking sparse in my country. Also I hate playing guitars in shops, just makes me awkward for some reason!

I will end up driving there to test them out at some point i'm sure (both are available in candy apple red) it's just a pain as I only have time at weekends when its busy.

So I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit of a comparison between the variants? Even if you havent tried them but just have a good knowledge of pickups.

If im not mistaken the seymours are all humbuckers (neck and middle stacked) which coil tap so it is more versatile and has better tones for non metal styles whereas the emg is hss but with active pickups and is more ballsy and generally better for metal but not as versatile or good as other styles?

I dont really know what I am talking about so my idea of the situation could be all wrong !

I already have an ltd MH-250 , 1989 aria pro 2 xr series and a usa elite strat if that factors in.

Thanks in advance for anyone helping me make this decision :)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Welcome to the forum.

As you mentioned, the emgs can be a one trick pony.
The passive pups give you a wider tonal spectrum.
I don't have any insight on the SM-1, but you'll know as soon as it's in your hands.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:15 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I love EMGs. Metal as hell with volume up, roll it off a little, and you have heavenly blues tones. Roll it off a bit more, and you have incredible clean tones.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:51 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Welcome to KF :toast .

If you already have your layout settled with passive pickups it would be the natural move to go for the SD equipped model. But then, the EMGs might just be what you were looking for all along.

It´s either love or hate when it comes to active pups it seems. The first two musicians that come to my mind who play/played EMGs are Zakk Wylde and Steve Lukather. To my ears neither of them has that clinical sharp tone often reffered to when it comes to EMGs shrug . If you´re not feeling comfortable playing in front of other people there might be the possibility to order both of them and give back the one you don´t like (with the danger of ending up with 2 new fiddles).

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:45 pm 

Thanks for the feedback folks :)

I am kind of leaning towards the red one with duncans but may be swayed by emg's or other colours if a bargain pops up.

Also heard that you can easily mod it so you can have tone push pull selector to change voltage and the emg's sound really nice at 18v.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:34 am 

I can't figure out how to edit posts so sorry for the double post, i dont use forums much.

Update on what happened if anyone is interested, I did the long arse drive yesterday morning and they had the guitar with the sd's in stock to try but not the emg one so i tested it for a long time with a guiotar which had the same emg's as the other sm-1 to get a rough comparison.

I had been hyping myself up about this guiitar reading about it for about a month so was massively dissapointed that i didnt like the neck. It sounded nice and all the features were brilliant but I foudn the neck just too chunky.

Maybe I would have gotten used to it or have been ruiined by LTD but i just couldnt justify dropping all that money on a guitar i wasnt completely happy with. I also had a go of a schecter hellraiser hybrid sustainer which was interesting, was double the price of the sm-1 so was just trying it out for its novelty self wobbling strings feature :)

It's a shame, i think that headstock logo is the best I have ever seen which i'm embarassed to say was a part of why I was enamoured with it..

Maybe a used stagemaster from the eighties in good condition with a much thinner neck and simalar or same logo will show up on ebay!

Cheers again for the advice folks, back to the drawing board !!

<3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:53 am 
Kramer Kingpin

This is the point were most people complain about the SM-1. No one can figure out as to why they made this sleek shred-stick with a baseball bat neck. Especially in the light that Gibson/Kramer had a real Stagey provided for measurement by a member here.

CptFandango wrote:
... was massively dissapointed that i didnt like the neck. It sounded nice and all the features were brilliant but I foudn the neck just too chunky.

Maybe a used stagemaster from the eighties in good condition with a much thinner neck and simalar or same logo will show up on ebay

If you are on FB there´s a Stagemaster group. You might find one there.

Good luck :thumbs !

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:16 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

Yep, biggest complaint is a LP neck profile on what should be thin & fast. :lame
Whos tho say that you couldn't reshape the neck on these.
But then if the paint & clear were removed, it could also help the speed & playability.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:57 am 
Kramer Kommander

The paint is the worst thing about these, sticky and just awful feel. But removing it will reduce the resale value regardless and I dunno if re-shaping the neck would work well, depends on the constuction (tross rod depth) and the quality of "mahogany" used.

As for the pups, I hate EMG's for their lack of tone and dynamics, so to me it's a no-brainer.

On the other side, I also dislike the Alternative8 humbucker, so for me, both versions would require new pickups anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:49 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

Resale!!! dielaughing
Retailers can't unload them..... toliet