Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 am 

So hello guys first post new in this place and need some help so first I’m starting to play guitar and I had a Dean v shape for my first guitar but at the end I didn’t like the v shape and didn’t like it when playing seated it’s just slipping from one side to another so I checked for other guitar and was thinking about a fender squirt telecaster or Ibanez gio 121 something like that and then I saw this Kramer about the some price and I like it simple guitar the neck was nice and small but it seems just a guitar for metal or heavy rock I think, and I want something let’s say versatile for jazz... I was thinking at the end putting another tremolo PRL one and change nut and put another pickups is a good guitar to mod ... But every time I see videos is just pure Metal or Heavy rock style... and just one pickup ... XS Isn’t a tele more versatile with other styles... well 2 pickups ... more sounds typhes What you guys have to say... Sorry for the English I’m portuguse did my best xD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:19 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

Welcome.
A baretta is always a good choice.
A pacer imperial will give you more tones.
Maybe something like this gets the motor running.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KRAMER-LK-1B-U ... SwPfBbtZUA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 pm 
Kramer Maniac

A JK-1000 BF or LK-1 BF may be more suitable for jazz. Although I will say, Allan Holdsworth got by for a LONG time playing only a bridge pickup with a tone, on his signature San Dimas Charvels in the 80s. But the prototypical jazz sound is a neck pickup.

I would say typically for jazz you would want a lighter body - basswood would be what I'd recommend - but poplar, or alder, or even swamp ash might be a good choice. Which means you'd want to avoid USA Kramers between 1983 and 1985 which were predominantly maple.

Probably a good choice would be a Stagemaster Deluxe, with a H-S-S configuration, and 24 fret short-scale neck...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:42 pm 
Kramer Maniac

The suffix on JK and LK refer to the pickup config. So JK 1000 B would mean bridge only, JK 1000 BF would be bridge and neck (or back and front), and BC would denote bridge and middle (or back and center, but that would include the front).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Or alternatively B means black hardware and F refers to an original Floyd Rose rather than a licenced one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:16 am 
Kramer Maniac

Unless B means Banana!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:41 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Welcome.

I think the member is talking about a Baretta Special for some 180 bucks. Recommending a J-series or even a Stagey DLX for a first entry level guitar seems somewhat cool but imo is a bit much here.

Fundamentally there´s nothing wrong with a Baretta Special and playing Jazz music with it. But bear in mind that you only have that much tonal options with one pickup. I´d rather go with a Kramer Pacer Classic if it should be a Kramer. But then, there a absolutely no rules as to what guitar is to be used for a specific musical style shrug .

BTW: Since you are really started playing recently a swap of the tuners and the trem might be nice to have but at that stage you might you really hear the tonal improvements.

Just my two cents

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:31 am 
Kramer Kommander

My opinion - save some more cash and buy a Pacer (Imperial, Deluxe or Custom) if you want a Kramer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 am 
Kramer Maniac

I have a focus 3000 which is the japanese ersatz pacer deluxe. I think either the focus 3000 or the deluxe would be great, if you like the styling (which is important) and can afford the real one then get it, otherwise the focus would be good. It has a pickguard which all of the pickups and electronicws are mounted on (makes it easy to work on) has 3 pickups and a switch to "coil tap" or turn the bridge humbucker into a single coil, so in essence you have 4 pickups to play around with.

having said all of that I dont know if a floyd rose style guitar would be ideal for a beginner? Ive played those gio ibanez guitars and theyre not bad. I think as a beginner you are finding your bearings right now so spending a lot of money on a guitar may not be the best idea as you'll likely change your taste down the road...I know this is a kramer site but maybe a used squier strat? flog it for what you paid for it and get something down the road that suits you more?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:36 am 
Kramer Maniac

I don't know.......Maybe a 59 Les Paul would be a good starter???

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times..............

For $179 and free shipping, you absolutely can't go wrong with a Baretta Special.