Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:00 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:14 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

The other thread about getting into a fight with the wife over buying a new guitar got me thinking....what method(s) have you used to sneak one in the house?
Share your wisdom for future uses.
I have used the one where I’ve left the house with an empty guitar case & come back with a new one in it. “Sure honey, I’ve had this one for a few years.....” :whistle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I bought one and put it in the corner propped up against a 412 cab and it isn't in plain view. That was 2 years ago. She never said anything, but I didn't bring up the fact that she got a speeding ticket (at least until I caved and used it as ammunition in an argument)
So that one was left in a corner but not really that hidden.
My last purchase I planned to sneak past her with a plan. I had to take my daughter to a meeting and was going to drop her off, buy the guitar, and then come back and pick her up. However my wife assigned me duties for said meeting and eventually cornered me. I confessed my scheme......still got the guitar because I had no six-string acoustic! I mean how can she expect me not to have an acoustic??!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 pm 
Kramer Maniac

My case is different.
I do this for a living.
Right know I have probably close to 100 guitars in my house. Around 10-15 needing major repairs. About 50 I am selling. Around 30 plus I am keeping. Some just waiting for minor repairs. They are not all gem's.
I bring home 0-5 guitars a week.
She doesn't complain because this is my side business. I buy, sell, trade guitars, basses, and amps. I have to have this side gig because my employer pays slave wages. It's a living though.
She likes some of my guitars a lot. She won't let me sell some. From time to time she encourages me to buy a rare one for myself. If I am on the fence about one.

On the other hand. My wife used to complain about how many guns I buy.
Every single time she told me I could not buy another gun. I immediately went out and bought another gun. Sadly. It only took 8 times for her to catch on to this. So she stopped telling me to stop buying guns. That and actually I haven't found another I want just yet. LOL.
Funny that I like Baretta's just as much in that world. LOL

I don't give her crap about purses and shoes.
Once she said I had too many gun's. I said well let's count some shoes and purses. LOL. That put a stop to that.

This is all I know.
Everyones marriage is unique.
I will NEVER understand the brains of women.
I will always live my life with no regrets.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Oh, this is gonna be a good thread!!!

1. If shipped UPS or FedEx, obviously have them hold it at the depot instead of delivered at the house, then pick it up when she is not around.
2. Strategize to bring things into the house when she is not home.
3. I have been working on guitars with my luthier friend, sometimes bringing guitars from his shop home with me to continue working on them myself after hours. This was not planned, but now that I have several of his guitars scattered about, she doesn't know the difference, and if I get a new one, she will assume it's another one of his from the shop that I brought home to work on.
4. I got my son (10) into playing, and now she is more supportive of the guitar thing, in general, as she has fantasy dreams of our kid making it big.
5. Learn a bunch of songs that she likes and use that as a distraction.
6. Make big talk to highlight the occasional lucrative flip (e.g., bought an Aria Pro II for $47 and immediately sold for $220), and whenever a new guitar comes into the house, act like the plan is to clean it up and triple my money. (bonus points with the Aria, because the dude handed me $220 and I turned to my wife on the spot and peeled her off a few twenties - that worked well!!)

Looking forward to hearing what other tricks you guys have!

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I usually do exactly what doc said. When I order, I have them hold at UPS or fedex and pick it up when she goes out.

This last one was tough bc I bought it from Sam Ash. They actually asked me when I wanted to pick it up, they said they would clean it up and set it up with new strings for me and I could pick it up but I didn’t want them to realize they sold me a guitar for $600 that is probably worth $2500. So I took it and ran and figured I’d manage the wrath of the wife.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I have also used #6 on docs. I sell a lot of guitars so I make mention of the fact that I am buying them with money I made off other guitar sales.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:16 am 
Kramer Maniac

And damn that USPS, why won't you just hold it for me at the post office? :bang
Fortunately our mail usually isn't delivered until evening, and this is completely ridiculous, but I've gotten to know the postman, so I will set up tracking alerts on my phone to text me when something will be delivered, and if it's guitar-sized, then the postman knows to leave it in his truck parked around the corner. If I'm home from work on time, I will wait for him out front, then he will let me grab it out the back of his truck and then I can sneak it around and through the basement.
"Honey, I'm going out in the yard to pick up dog poop. I'll check the front yard first and then the back yard..."

And one time we had some mice take up residence in the basement. I killed them off rather easily, but to my wife I made a big deal about the mice down there, so now there is a part of the basement where she is afraid to go... aka the guitar workshop!

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:37 am 
Kramer Kingpin

sixstring wrote:
“Sure honey, I’ve had this one for a few years.....” :whistle

New? Nope, just was in its case in the basement a couple years. Rotated it into the "getting played again" stock shrug .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:44 am 
Kramer Maniac

This one is easy for me :thumbs

My other half likes guitars as much as I do, understands that I need as many as I want, just like her need for shoes & handbags :roll

'86 Retta, White
'86 Retta, Black
'86 Retta, Bubbles
'87 Retta, Shattered Glass
'87 Retta, The Fly
'86 Focus 2000, Hot Pink
'87 JK1000, Red
'14 Pacer Classic, white, modded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:51 am 
Kramer Kommander

I'm not married nor do I have any intents to do so. If I ever should, my problem will rather be how to get the wife smuggled past my babies (=guitars) without them being jealous ;)