Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:48 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Pup swap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 am 
Kramer Kommander

You never use more than a few drops applied with a rag, so it should be fine. I always leave it on for an hour or so before wiping off the residue. Rosewood is an oily wood and doesn't really soak much of it anyway.

Lem oil is problematic for maple when used too often (creeps deep into the wood, under the finish, frets etc.), so that's the one to be careful with. A few drops once a year are no problem.

I never tried walnut oil on guitars, only on my hair while it was still long :) (many years ago). It's available in any cosmetics shop, pharmacies etc. I remember it did darken the hair, so I guess it'll do the same to wood as well. Regarding hair, I remember I had switched to burdock oil eventually to avoid the darkening effect... oh the memories.

If you want it really dark, I'd go with some black stain followed up by wax (dunlop 65 wax will do fine). That makes it look like ebony and the wax makes it very slippery and gives it that "finished" shiny look, if you prefer that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:54 am 
Kramer Kingpin

:thumbs to lemon oil on RW FBs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 am 
Kramer Maniac

:thumbs
_xxx_ wrote:
You never use more than a few drops applied with a rag, so it should be fine. I always leave it on for an hour or so before wiping off the residue. Rosewood is an oily wood and doesn't really soak much of it anyway.

Lem oil is problematic for maple when used too often (creeps deep into the wood, under the finish, frets etc.), so that's the one to be careful with. A few drops once a year are no problem.

I never tried walnut oil on guitars, only on my hair while it was still long :) (many years ago). It's available in any cosmetics shop, pharmacies etc. I remember it did darken the hair, so I guess it'll do the same to wood as well. Regarding hair, I remember I had switched to burdock oil eventually to avoid the darkening effect... oh the memories.

If you want it really dark, I'd go with some black stain followed up by wax (dunlop 65 wax will do fine). That makes it look like ebony and the wax makes it very slippery and gives it that "finished" shiny look, if you prefer that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 am 
Kramer Maniac

Been using this for fretboards for the last few years on recommendation of a local luthier. Love it.

https://www.interstatemusic.com/60352-R ... dmEALw_wcB