Show Us Your Rig

Discussions about Kramer Guitars in general.
Designbyry
Kramer Maniac

Re: Show Us Your Rig

Post by Designbyry » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 pm

My rig is more of a room, in an unfinished basement that would probably be finished if I quit buying guitars. I have been going more DAW and Emulator/computer driven for about the last 6 years.

If your Guitar goes to 12, your amp only needs to go to 9.

LhKramer
Kramer Kingpin

Post by LhKramer » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Ol fender M-80 in the corner?? :headbang
2017 fender player floyd converted
1986 Kramer Pacer Custom
2020 marsmountain v project

All Lefty's shrug :headbang

LhKramer
Kramer Kingpin

Post by LhKramer » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 pm

lonewolfsx wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:01 pm
LhKramer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:40 pm drool drool drool drool drool drool drool drool drool :not :not :not :not :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Dam son!! i cld only dream of some shit like this!!! Just......WOW!!

Is that white head on the left a PWE?? I thionk thats what i mean? Played one at the local GC lasr year 100 watter just BADASS :jump
Yeah the white head is a PWE Event Horizon 3, 50 watter, and the one below it is a pre-serial number Event Horizon 50 watter (original run from around ~2010).
I got the black EH first and loved it, though it had a few issues when it arrived. Ted Stevensen, the designer, emailed back and forth with me a few times and even had me call him so we could talk about fixing it up. I bought it used so the guy had no obligation to help me, it was just a really nice thing of him to do.
The black EH has a fantastic clean channel that just always stays mostly clean. The gain channel has a little switch that boosts the gain up, so with that down it does a really killer Plexi type impression and with it up it gets real mean and thick. My only gripe on that amp was that I couldn't footswitch from the low to high gain mode on that channel.

So that's why I got the EH3, because that one has 3 separate channels. However, Ted says it's a totally different amp - and it really is. I opened it up and there's definitely some similarities but for example the EH had 5 preamp tubes, the EH3 only has 3. The gain structure is a bit different and much brighter, and with less gain. It still sounds fantastic. The clean channel gets a bit dirty on this one too, unlike the EH.

I only have one major complaint on these amps, and it applies to both of them, but mostly the EH3, and that's when using a high output pickup, like EMG's, or a Duncan Invader etc, stuff like palm muted chords flubs out the worst of any amp I've played. For a moment all of the treble detail just disappears and then gradually comes back in when you first hit the note. Either the input stage is passing too much bass to the next, or there's some kind of mismatch or crossover distortion, idk, but the EH3 you just can't play it with high output pickups. Most of my guitars have high output pickups so that's a bit of a downer. The original EH does this too but not nearly as bad.
Both amps have the wiring from the input going into a black epoxied box that then goes out to the next area. I guess this design of the input stage is intentional and something the designer wants to protect, so I don't think there's much I can do to avoid it either. Just how it is.

Here - this is a little crappy clip I recorded to show what it sounds like, it's really bad around the 10 second mark:

Now if you're using a mid output pickups like an SH-12, stock les paul pups, etc and just going for a killer classic rock tone, it's tough to beat really - probably one of the best sounding amps I have at that medium gain tone.

One other interesting thing, high output pickups are an issue, but throwing a tubescreamer or boss SD-1 in front is no problem at all and it gets gainy, articulate/bright, and angry just fine. I don't get it.
Pcruis1 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:00 pm Super jealous of the Charvel guitars in your video - very cool! If you ever sell those Orange heads, hook me up!
For sure, some of the Charvels are going away and definitely one of the Oranges. I just can't decide on which one.

The Dual Dark is super heavy and gainy, bright and cutting. The only thing I'm struggling is EQing it right and since I have so many high gainers it's tough to justify, especially since that one was the most expensive Orange and the hardest to find. If it really blew me away it'd be totally worth it but for the thick bass punch sound I think the Dual Rec Roadster is better, and for the more articulate palm mute-y stuff the 6505 is a little meaner sounding. That said I've barely played this amp so it merits a bit more time. I really don't think you can properly judge an amp without having it at least a couple of months and trying different settings, speakers etc with it.

The Thunderverb is darker, sounds more like an old school orange, and both channels have the same amount of gain and can be configured up to be clean or gainy, or a compromise between either - for my style this is probably the best amp. Initially though I wasn't blow away by it, since it's really not all that high gain. But now that I've spent time with it it's probably my favorite. The Reverb is also just insane on this, at 9 O'clock it's overbearing. Since it does the most accurate approximation of an old school orange this one is probably my keeper, since that's what I was after - and it cost me less than half an OR80 or OR120 (which is what I really wanted).

The Rockerverb Mk III was the one I was the most impressed by off the bat. It's very similar to the Thunderverb in layout except instead of two channels with 3 gain stages each, the RV has 4 gain stages on the lead and 2 on the clean channel, so they are further differentiated. The voicing is also brighter, more modded Marshall with some underlying trademark Orange fuzziness (that can't be dialed out). If I could only have one amp this would probably be a great compromise, but since I have plenty of Marshalls it's tough for this one to compete. It also feels the most high quality of the three because it has these really cool detented knobs. Each one has a little soft click, even the EQ, gain, volume etc controls, and the detents are fine enough that it feels really nice without stopping you from fine tuning your settings either. Reverb is great sounding but the knob is more tapered, so it's easier to mix in. I'm not sure how this happened, but it's a late 2019 model and some guy traded in the head and the original 4x12, the full rig, to my local GC - he must've been taken for an absolute ride because I know for sure that setup new is around $3000 and GC was asking $1200 for the head and $700 for the cab, so they must've given him +/- $1100 for the whole rig... talk about a depreciation hit. You could say I'm pretty pumped to have a nearly brand new amp at the price I paid, and it's in spotless condition, probably never gigged or anything.
Man what a drag,can deff hear the palm muting not really cutting :whistle
Still i do like the sound of them,the one i played was a baby blue pwe head,freakin sweet sounding.
i had a mk3 when they first came out thru the pay as u play deal and it was stomping ass badass it was a black 100 watter,best thing besides the tank build quailty,the attenuator is freakin exceptional,did not loose anything when using that feature,boosted with a 808 i was seriously luving it...and then lost my job and well u may or may not know what happens next..but had too send it back :bang :lame
2017 fender player floyd converted
1986 Kramer Pacer Custom
2020 marsmountain v project

All Lefty's shrug :headbang

Designbyry
Kramer Maniac

Post by Designbyry » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 pm

LhKramer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 pm Ol fender M-80 in the corner?? :headbang
Oh yeah, have had the top half since about 90/91, came across the bottom straight cab in a pawn shop about 4 years ago. Its a great amp. Super warm and punchy for a purely solid state design. Great to throw pedals in front of, since its basically just a power amp.
If your Guitar goes to 12, your amp only needs to go to 9.

Holzar88
Kramer Maniac

Post by Holzar88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:21 pm

Here's an older rig pic. Several of these pedals aren't on my current board anymore. But it's a nice shot of my '87 F-3000. I bought it about 10 years ago from someone who claimed it was NOS. It's very, very clean save for an annoying headstock chip (of course).

The pickguard electronics are a custom job from RS Guitarworks. DiMarzio PAF Pro/Area 58/Area 67.

Second pic is a more recent one with a bit more up-to-date board (though I've since added an ADA MP-1 Channel Pedal).

Holzar88
Kramer Maniac

Post by Holzar88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Still trying to figure the images upload out, obviously.

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Post by sixstring » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:16 pm

But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

Holzar88
Kramer Maniac

Post by Holzar88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:39 am

Thanks twice over!

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:23 pm

Love that F3000! :thumbs
Holzar88 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:21 pm

steve_adamp1