The End of an Era - Reverb Fees going up in August

Discussions about Kramer Guitars in general.
lonewolfsx
Kramer Maniac

The End of an Era - Reverb Fees going up in August

Post by lonewolfsx » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 am

Well everyone, we all knew this time would come, as yet another greedy multi-million company with plenty of overhead and a near monopoly on a booming segment of the economy announces they will be raising their fees from 3.5% up to 5%.

I only noticed thanks to a tiny notification on the phone app, for the real website you have to manually navigate from your shop to the fees section, then scroll all the way down to the fine fine print.

https://reverb.com/selling/pricing-update

I suppose not many people have seen it - Reverb is trying to keep it as under wraps as possible while technically saying "it's been on the website for months in advance" to prevent an uproar
I think we can expect eBay to raise their fees accordingly.

Also keep in mind this fee is before sales tax and also does not include the 2.9% fee which was already assessed for using reverbpay/paypal.

Better sell anything you want to sell via reverb right now. Those fuckers. :bang :bang :bang
Too many to list now...
Always looking for maple pointies, especially bound headstocks.
https://totallyradguitars.com/kramer

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Re: The End of an Era - Reverb Fees going up in August

Post by sixstring » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 am

:bs
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

KickstartMyHeart
Kramer Kingpin

Post by KickstartMyHeart » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 am

No offense meant but what's the problem? First of all this a a business and second Etsy owes its stakeholders some RoI. And really, 3.5% is laughable as a fee in this business and 5% still ain't that much. I really don't mind the 10% eBay-fee because they are doing the work for me plus they pose as a trustee between the parties involved in the transactions (like them or not - I've never had any problems there). One can always invent a better eCommerce solution or use some classifieds. The convenience way always has a premium shrug.

Any of you guys own an iPhone? No one's batting an eye that they charge around 75% as a fee.

Oh, btw. the sales tax in Germany is 19% (16% due to Corona until the end of 2020) and adds to the fees the same way.
Practice cures most tone issues.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

lonewolfsx
Kramer Maniac

Post by lonewolfsx » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:16 pm

KickstartMyHeart wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 am
No offense meant but what's the problem? First of all this a a business and second Etsy owes its stakeholders some RoI. And really, 3.5% is laughable as a fee in this business and 5% still ain't that much. I really don't mind the 10% eBay-fee because they are doing the work for me plus they pose as a trustee between the parties involved in the transactions (like them or not - I've never had any problems there). One can always invent a better eCommerce solution or use some classifieds. The convenience way always has a premium shrug.

Any of you guys own an iPhone? No one's batting an eye that they charge around 75% as a fee.

Oh, btw. the sales tax in Germany is 19% (16% due to Corona until the end of 2020) and adds to the fees the same way.
Haha, none taken. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think living in Europe desensitizes people to high taxes. I mean jesus, 19%, that's insane!

I know 5% is not the end of the world or anything, but it always starts with little stuff. I mean, here's the thing about percentages. Reverb spends money on adverts and the cost to pay their employees to resolve problems between sellers and so on. If more people are using the platform for convenience, they make more money - since it's a percentage, they still retain the same overhead

I guess my problem is that when they raise fees like this under the guise of "improving marketing" and "bringing in a wider audience" and all of that corporate trash, what they really mean is "we're still paying our employees using the 3.5% we were originally charging, but now our CEO is going to pocket an extra 1.5% of the company profit so he can buy his new yacht."

Or perhaps I'm just extra jaded with Disney right next door to me, a company well known for screwing their employees
Too many to list now...

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:29 pm

19% is the VAT, not for private sellers. It's only a prob with imports, you pay that on top of the import fees so it totals to about 25%.

Pcruis1
Kramer Kommander

Post by Pcruis1 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:00 pm

Saw this last week. A little disappointed. Have to price accordingly. When I first started on reverb I felt like I got a few really nice deals. This plus sales tax makes that much more unlikely
1981 Pacer Strat Head White
1981 Pacer Strat Head Graphic
1981 Pacer Strat Head Sunburst
1982 Pacer Graphic Beak
1984 Pacer Trans Red R5 Hockey
1984 Pacer Candy Red R5 Hockey
1984 Pacer Black R5 Hockey

AAEA
Kramer Kommander

Post by AAEA » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:05 pm

yea its a hose move fore sure. also.. if you sell a item over 1200 you gotta pay for special insurance regardless if customer pays or not
I own kramers :mrgreen

kremark
Kramer Maniac

Post by kremark » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Has anyone checked out Sweetwater's used instrument section. A youtuber I follow a bit was putting a plug for it, though not a real substitute for Reverb's niche it might be better than guitar center for used items. shrug
I don't usually find a use for this smiley :flipa , but I like so there you have it.
Steve B.

lonewolfsx
Kramer Maniac

Post by lonewolfsx » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am

kremark wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 pm
Has anyone checked out Sweetwater's used instrument section. A youtuber I follow a bit was putting a plug for it, though not a real substitute for Reverb's niche it might be better than guitar center for used items. shrug
I've seen it, they've been doing it for a few years but since Sweetwater doesn't have the store presence that GC has you don't get that wildly mispriced random stuff like GC gets (it's always rolling the dice with GC whether or not what shows up is actually what is pictured, or in the condition they say) and the market hasn't really caught on to listing stuff there so the selection is pretty tiny compared to places like Reverb and eBay.

Sweetwater does have no fees whatsoever - it's a totally free service. Of course, that also means they provide no seller or buyer protection, so it's just as risky as buying something over craigslist or whatever. Nothing wrong with that. We'll see if people start to use it over Reverb but the other advantage Reverb has is allowing shops to sell brand new items on their site too - like tubes, cases, bags, pedals etc. I bet sweetwater wouldn't want that because they'd want you to buy it from them instead.
Too many to list now...

AAEA
Kramer Kommander

Post by AAEA » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:11 pm

as the public defender said to his defendant right before they took him away... prep them cheeks

almost every platform is going to do a price increase flex on its customer base which are the sellers.

this doesn't benefit the buyers at all, it makes it more difficult to sell at prices customers can afford, like this extra 2% isn't coming out of my pocket its just sorta getting added onto the price customer pays now.

nobody is collected enough to flex consumer power over platforms in boycotts so likely this is just a middle finger to the consumer.
I own kramers :mrgreen