Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 am 
Kramer Maniac

Around Father's Day, I bought a BOSS DF-2 (Super Feedbacker and Distortion) pedal for a friend. Before giving it to his wife (who gave it to him for Father's Day), I put it through it's paces.

When I first plugged it in, I absolutely hated it. But, I played with the settings and found a sound that I REALLY liked. I played it for a while, then gave the pedal to my friend's wife.

I found another one on eBay, and won the bid. The pedal came, and it was in good condition, especially considering that it's from the 80s.

I plugged it in, and I started hearing clicking noises. Not the usual BOSS clicking once when you activate and deactive an old pedal. When activated, the pedal clicked constantly. When deactivated, there was no clicking. I kept debugging, by changing cables, changing batteries, etc. I eventually purposely created a ground loop with another pedal. The clicking stopped, but the ground hum was damn loud. Because of this, I'm guessing is a bad ground somewhere.

In any case, I have 2 choices: Return it, or get it fixed. I'm exploring both options. While seeing who fixes pedals in the NYC area, I contacted the seller. He responded pretty quickly...at first. As soon as I asked about a return, he went silent. He has gone NO CONTACT with me ever since. I'm holding off giving him a bad rating and pursuing it any further through PayPal, etc., until the weekend.

Anyone have an eBay seller, with great ratings, sell you a bum item, and then go silent?

In any case, what do you think is my best course of action?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:52 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

NC is a no go. Contact eBay. Write them what happened to keep a paper trail of it all. Seller than can explain himself. Maybe he fell off a ladder and all will be good and maybe he´s an asshole. either way you´ll get it sorted out. shrug

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:55 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Definitely not a cool thing to do. I'll give him until the weekend.

I did some checking with people that fix pedals, and it seems like an LFO issue. It can either be as simple as a quick solder joint, or a new component, which could be hard to find after 30 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Sent another email. No response. I took your advice and requested a refund through eBay. The seller has 3 days to get back to me, or eBay gets involved to find a solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Just an FYI.
This is some info that some people do not know.
1.) All Boss pedals, and most other pedals, run off the battery FIRST, before a 9 volt wall adapter.
A dead battery in one pedal can shut down your entire pedal chain.
If the battery dies the pedal will not work even if it is plugged into an adapter.
Always take a battery out when using a 9 volt adapter plugged into the wall.
2). When used with multiple pedals be sure not to under power the pedals with mA. You can't run multiple pedals on a single 9V 300mA adapter.
3). There are quite a few of the early Boss pedals use an ACA-120 power adapter, NOT the PCA-120 power adapter.

I found this on the net.
http://www.bossarea.com/boss-df-2-super ... istortion/

The first DF-2s was labeled “Super Distortion & Feedbacker” while the later ones was called “Super Feedbacker & Distortion”. DiMarzio had already registered the name “Super Distortion” so Boss was forced changed the DF-2’s name. The change took place around serial number 500000 (January 1985). Production moved to Taiwan late 1989 and was modified for the PSA adapter from early 1991.
Recommended AC Adaptor: ACA Series (black label) or PSA Series (silver label)

So read the back. Double check you are running it correctly.
Just trying to help.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:08 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Thanks. The first thing I did was to check out the BOSS site to make sure I wasn't the cause.

I tested it as a single pedal in the chain. I tried it with a 9V battery, an ACA adapter and even a one spot. All gave the same results.

I posted it on The Gear Page, along with a quick recording of the clicking, and a couple of pedal repairmen told me that it would either be a simple fix of a loose ground solder joint, or a component was shot. The former would be a simple fix, the latter may be a problem finding the same component since the pedal is 30 years old.

I tried contacting the seller, and he didn't respond. So, I finally initiated doing a return through eBay. They said that if the seller didn't get back to me in 3 days, to contact them and they would take over.

The seller contacted me today, and said he was sorry, he's on vacation and would accept the return over the weekend.

I'll post an update here if/when he contacts me with the return info.

Thanks all for steering me in the right direction. I appreciate it!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:07 am 
Kramer Kingpin

All is well that ends well :thumbs .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Jeez. This clown went NC again, after saying that he'd take it back. I had no choice but to click the button to have eBay take charge of the discrepancy. Evidently, he was very easy to get a hold of for eBay. Their decision came down in my favor, and the return label has been created, so I can ship it back tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm 
KF ADMIN

Quote:
the return label has been created, so I can ship it back tomorrow.

Send it back and move on.....

There will always be another of these for sale..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Definitely will. I had to wait for him to accept the return through eBay so I can print the label. He avoided doing it, until eBay intervened. It'll be shipped out tomorrow.