Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:54 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Hi all, been a while, I’ve been in homeowner hell, not sure if this is a duplicate thread, but wondering what new (or old) music people are listening to. It seems a good time for old German heavy metal bands, the new Accept, the rise of chaos is awesome. I’ve always been a fan of wolf Hoffman’s playing. Also the new single by the reunited Helloween is great. Wondering what you all are listening to?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:56 pm 
Kramer Maniac

MASTODON
It is dense and takes a little time to wrap your head around it, but they are great guys, they push their own envelope with every new release, and they are happy to defy rigid metal sub-genre expectations. Levithan is a great album if you like the heavier stuff (concept record based off the novel Moby Dick), check the track "Blood and Thunder." I personally like Crack the Skye as one of my favorite albums - it is more ethereal and moves toward some dreamy Pink Floyd territory, as Hinds was recovering from a severe head injury (that's a whole other story) and literally couldn't play as fast at that time, and it pushed other band members to open up and shift perspectives toward writing as the future of the band was in jeopardy. Hinds' "Oblivion" solo is right up there with vintage David Gilmore, and "Last Baron" is also pretty great. The Hunter has some great tracks on there, shit, each of their albums does! The latest release Emperor of Sand is about experience with loved ones fighting cancer, including the fear, uncertainty and existential issues around it. Every record has a different feel, so you just have to invest time to work through the catalog. The complexity of their music can be overwhelming at first, but once you start to get it, you'll be hooked. Through their work, they are the positioning themselves to be the next heirs to the metal throne after Metallica and Tool (maybe they already are). Brann Dailor is hands down one of the best drummers in the game today, and as time goes on, he is handling more and more vocal shares, like a freaking insane genius octopus metal Phil Collins or something. Three of the 4 guys all sharing lead vocal duties, so that also is different.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:21 pm 
Kramer Maniac

And then there is this, which ALWAYS gets heavy rotation at my house this time of year.

Hope you are well and maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel of homeowner hell. I've been in it myself with the second biggest homeowner project I've ever done, so not much time to play or do guitar projects. At least I pulled permits this time so no worries about a red tag holiday gift from the city.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:33 am 
Kramer Kingpin

ATM this list:

Pink Cream 69 (Germany) - new album "Headstrong"
Vandenberg´s Moonkings (Adrian Vandenbergs new crew) - new album "MKII"
Black Country Communion - new album "BCCIV"
Alter Bridge - new album "Live At The O2 Arena"
Revolution Saints (Doug Aldridge project besides the Dead Daisies) - new album "Light In The Dark"
Europe - new album "Walk The Earth"
Shakra (Switzerland) - new album "Snakes And Ladders"
Megadeth - 1992s "Cryptic Writing"

Waiting for the release of the Red Dragon Cartel album (Jake E. Lee)

I´ve been really disappointed by the new albums from Lynch Mob and Mr. Big this year.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:45 am 
Kramer Maniac

Thanks guys. Doc - I’ve been meaning to check out more Mastodon, I caught them live probably more than 10 years ago now, but didn’t get into it at the time. I’ve been hearing very good things about their recent albums.
And yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I don’t think there is much more that can go wrong now with the house. On the plus side, I found a brand new Gibson Les Paul Traditional for $1000 from Chicago Music Exchange, so that is my first addition to replace some of the gear I sold.
Also, when you are stuck without heat or electricity there isn’t much to do, so my wife and I are now expecting our first due next June.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 am 
Kramer Maniac

Kickstart- I agree, big letdown from some great players. The new Lynch stuff is terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:15 am 
Kramer Kommander

You know. You guys make me feel like a dinosaur.
I really don't have a medium I listen to new music on.
YouTube. Word if mouth etc. I'm still listening to FM radio.
Mostly when I'm driving. I will be checking out some of what you mentioned.
I like Doug Aldridge. And I'd like to hear the new Jake E.Lee stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:05 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Revolutions Saints
Sixx AM
Nightwish
Eric Johnson
Jorn
Black Veil Brides
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:46 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Quote:
Mastodon, I caught them live probably more than 10 years ago now, but didn’t get into it at the time

I can totally understand that. Their sound quality tends to be inconsistent in live venues and at times poor, especially in the more distant past, but def trending better these days and the last time I saw them (Oakland Fox) was the clearest I've ever heard it. Plus the older stuff was all jus so heavy, but now there is much more variety to the sets and more melodic material. Anywhoo... not to sound like a goofy fanboy, but they are friends from our old neighborhood in Atlanta, so it's always great to see talented nice guys work hard and achieve well-deserved success over time.

I really appreciate the other suggestions from Kickstart and others, as I agree it is hard to keep up with everything coming out.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:07 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Quote:
now expecting our first due next June.

And congrats on that!!!
So fun to relive things through your kids. My 9-year-old came home last week somehow interested in the Rolling Stones (not sure how), but it led to a cool discussion of what is blues music, where did it come from, and how did that give rise to rock-and-roll? This week we've been listening to Zeppelin IV, a trip for me to think about that from the perspective of somebody hearing it for the first time. At the moment, he thinks Bark at the Moon is cooler than anything on Blizzard or Diary, but baby steps...

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards: