Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 am 
Kramer Maniac

I almost always take a pragmatic approach, and walk away from a deal pretty quickly. I said ALMOST.

This happened to me yesterday. I purchased a used LynchBox at Guitar Center, that was listed in "GOOD CONDITION". The thing weighs a ton. When the salesman brought out the box, it was on a hand truck. He had a shocked look on his face because he read it as lunchbox, not LynchBox, and figured it was a small head. That's the last thing this is. It's 68 f'ing pounds!!!

Upon inspection, this thing was a piss poor shape. The middle module was stripped, and hanging lower than the other 2 modules. There was a layer of dust on the back the didn't come off with a quick wipe. It was caked.

The salesman asked me if I even wanted it, and he'd put in a quick return on it. Normally, I would have denied the item immediately, but I really wanted to hear this thing. From what I've heard on Youtube videos, this is the s#!t.

After getting it home, I used a compressor to get the dust off. The dust didn't move. I'll be putting it through its paces this weekend, but that feeling that I shouldn't have bothered keeps hitting me.

Since it's Guitar Center, I have 45 days to make a decision, but I am quite sure that I will be making a trip back there next week. I'm a little pissed at myself for letting the emotion of wanting to try it, and see for myself got in the way of a business transaction.

Normally, I would have turned away immediately. At what point do you turn away?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am 
Kramer Kommander

Immediately, unless the price goes way down.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Hopefully when my gut tells me to leave Dodge City and better be out of range to prevent a cognitive dissonance :roll .

Gut feeling does not always work to my favour, tho.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:26 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I once bought a custom made Friedman from Brad King. It was a Marshall Bluesbreaker that Dave had gutted and modded.
I wanted it bad because it was a Friedman and it was a one of a kind.
Ultimately it wasn’t for me and I sold it. But what a hit I took on the resale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 pm 
Kramer Maniac

That return policy is the best in the business.
There are times when you just have to take stuff home and try it out.
If you don't like it, then take it back. That is a good thing. I don't care what anyone say's about GC. That policy is a blessing for musicians.
Not many people know this.

As far as room acoustics go. The worst place to try and hear an amp is a music store. The reflected sound is bouncing of everything in the store that is made to make sound. LOL.
It is always best to hear an amp in the setting you are going to use it in.
Sometimes used gear needs to be cleaned a bit. I use a mild soap and water. Then dry, and apply Armor All.
Sometimes there are real gem's under the dirt, and grime. I have made some great purchases on gear that looked really bad, but cleaned up really great.

My next project is an amp head. I bought a Peavey Triple X, 100w tube head with a smashed cabinet. I will build a new cab for it. The head works/sounds great and has brand new JJ tubes in it.
I got the amp for..... Are you ready......
$30.00.
I look for the dusty, nasty stuff. Thats how you find the diamonds in the rough.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR
90's SSD Blackhawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:24 am 
Kramer Kommander

SWANTECH wrote:
I got the amp for..... Are you ready......
$30.00.

Holy f**k... that's like the price of one new 6L6. Sounds like a deal of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 am 
Kramer Maniac

Well, yesterday I was still on-the-fence about the amp. The sound is incredible, no doubt, and was having way too much fun playing it. I was considering overlooking the problems......until yesterday. That's when the on/off switch wasn't working. Thankfully, it is stuck in the ON position, so I can play it, but have to pull the plug to turn it off.

Called up the store, the manager remembered me, and it's DEFINITELY going back next week, when I get back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:09 pm 
Kramer Maniac

If all it needs is a switch, I might replace it and hang on to it for bit...no?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:01 pm 
Kramer Maniac

If that was the only thing, yes, I agree. But there are many issues with it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:48 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Gotcha. Probably not worth it then.