Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:10 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Bye-bye Henry....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:54 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

....don’t let the door hit you in the ass...

https://guitar.com/gibson-is-looking-fo ... szkiewicz/

Post subject: Re: Bye-bye Henry....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:36 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Let’s hope the replacement isn’t as much of an ass.
I’m a big Gibson fan but I hate the direction Henry was taking it these past years.
You’re Gibson, do what you do best....make great guitars.
Easy as that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:45 pm 
Kramer Maniac

He did big things for the company in the 80s, but he should have been gone a while ago now. Good riddance

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:45 am 
Kramer Kommander

I expect an even bigger ass who will "cut down costs" and "increase shareholder value" (read: destroy everything, fire loads of people, kill some daughter brands and produce even more even cheaper chinese crap).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:59 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Relocating production from the US to China is surely on top of any new CEO´s agenda. Keeping the brand and milking it for what it´s worth.

But then, there might be someone in the chair who is trying to revive what Gibson stood for.

Either way, we´ll see shrug .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 am 
Kramer Kommander

You can certainly say bye-bye to Kramer though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:01 am 
Kramer Maniac

You folks are assuming they survive bankruptcy.
I do not think they are going to find 600 Million dollars.
JMO.
I could tell you folks some stories about this Henny, and Gibson.
Not good ones.

The reason I do NOT, and will NOT own a Gibson from 1982-2018. Is they are made WRONG. I will teach you folks.

Henny basically Union busted the company on purpose when he moved Gibson from Kalamazoo to Nashville.
All the skilled luthiers that new how to build a guitar were told if they still wanted a job. They had to move and take a huge pay cut, and NO union.

So all these new people in Nashville did not have the knowledge or skill set of how to build a Gibson guitar.

So when they started setting up guitars. With the guitar laying down on a bench, and NOT in proper playing position. They ran into problems with intonating the tuneomatic bridges. Because a guitar will go sharp/flat 10-20 cents from laying on it's back to the playing position. This is due to the earths gravity. Fact.

Instead of learning how to setup a guitar correctly in the playing position.
They moved, and changed the angle of the tunomatic bridge.
FACT.
I have seen them set up guitars with them laying down on a bench, with my own eyes. I have toured the factories.
So now. You barley have enough room at the E strings. Especially the low E string to get the guitars properly intonated. This is just ONE of many design changes over the years that has made their guitars worse for guitar players.
Funny though. The Sammick made Epiphones bridges are placed correctly.
They do a half A$$ job setting them up. They rarley cut the nut slots. Sometimes the nuts don't even have enough material to cut a nut slot. The saddles are not cut or even adjusted on the high end custom shop stuff. They want to sell a Les Paul Custom at $5,000.00 with the nut and saddles not cut. Not set up at all. With an ebonal (fake ebony) finger board.

My 1976 Les Paul custom is a great guitar. It stays in tune because it was built by people who knew what they were doing.

Don't get me started on the plastic in the so called nitro finish they use. Because it is barely nitro anymore. When was the last time you saw a Gibson finsh have checking? 1982.
Proof it is not the nitro you think it is.

I can go on. I can state all the design changes that they made to make the guitars more, and more WRONG over the years.

That is why I stopped buying Gibson products a long time ago.
I have worked for a Gibson dealer for going on 23 years now.
I have a unique perspective. Thousands of Gibsons have been in my hands.

If Gibson does survive. I hope they start making great guitars again.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR

Post subject: Re: Bye-bye Henry....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:56 am 
Kramer Maniac

From what I understand Gibson guitars division is profitable, it’s the rest of the company’s holdings (Gibson BRANDS...i.e. the consumer electronics division and whatever else they own that’s not guitar related) is where the debt lies.
IMO, they need to sell off the divisions that are dragging them down and pay as much debt off as possible with that money, then try to find some new financial backing to inject new, fresh funds back into the company.

All that said, I know little about running a company like this....ok, ok....I know NOTHING. Haha!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 am 
Kramer Maniac

Just to clarify.
I don't hate Gibson. I hate what Hennry did to this company over the years.
Don't get me wrong the 70's era Norlin stuff had it's share of problems.
The people who built the guitars in the 70's were sometimes the same people who built them in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Those people in Kalamazoo were still putting their heart and souls into building the guitars.
Hennry did save the company. I will give him credit for that.

If you own a Gibson made in the last 30 years.
Please. Take it to a qualified luthier/guitar tech.
Your guitar will play and sound a SO much better than the factory setup. It will stay in tune better.
They can be great guitars if they are setup properly.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am 
Kramer Kommander

Maybe you don't hate them, but it seems to me that you don't really like them either ;) I owned like five brand new Gibsons made in the last 15 years and they were all perfect. I love the Studio I recently bought and it's one of the finest LP's I ever played. Same with the Robot Studio I sold to a friend of mine, same with the SG I upgraded with a Kahler and sold a couple of years ago etc. Go figure.

The only thing that changed for the worse is that the newer ones are chambered, which gives them a bit of (unwanted) acoustic-like quality. I didn't mind the weight of the non-chambered ones, the tone was tighter.

Newer ones are polyurethane finish same as US Fenders, nitro is only used in a few models and custom shop stuff. I actually prefer the urethane, much more durable and more glossy too. IMO nitro is the worst finish choice for a guitar.

Setup is always in the responsibility of the shop, because even if they were set up properly at the factory, that will change in transport due to temperature/climate changes etc.

Small changes in the design are simple evolution, nothing wrong with that. Every manufacturer does that, while mostly also offering the "true" vintage versions as well.