Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:20 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:28 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I just bought Top Jimi's Brown Sound Kemper Profiles. Holy S, I am blown away. I can 't get passed the Van Halen I profile. It is totally dead on. It even makes me sound good :p:D

This video was the one that made me purchase it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:42 am 
Kramer Kingpin

That sounds really good to my ears with just the right sizzle and cook (just the 1984/Panama tone sounded a bit off and not as sparkly) :headbang :headbang :headbang .

Now, ... waiting for someone to chime in to say that it sounds "okay for a modeling amp" but is not the real deal :poke :whistle .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:52 am 
Kramer Kommander

KickstartMyHeart wrote:
Now, ... waiting for someone to chime in to say that it sounds "okay for a modeling amp" but is not the real deal :poke :whistle .

Now stop poking me! :roll It better sound like a real deal in that price bracket... otherwise something would be very wrong. I haven't tried Kemper or AxeFX yet, but the cheaper modellers like Vypyr, Line6, Blackstar ID etc surely are inferior. But then they cost only a fraction and have much less processing power.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:32 am 
Kramer Maniac

That sounded pretty good. Nice RG too. :thumbs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:35 am 
Kramer Maniac

_xxx_ wrote:
KickstartMyHeart wrote:

Now stop poking me! :roll It better sound like a real deal in that price bracket... otherwise something would be very wrong. I haven't tried Kemper or AxeFX yet, but the cheaper modellers like Vypyr, Line6, Blackstar ID etc surely are inferior. But then they cost only a fraction and have much less processing power.

I’m in the same camp as you. I haven’t tried any of the high end processors but my experiences with the lower end stuff is well....meh.
There is a local AC/DC cover band that uses them and they sound great, I gotta admit. But then again that particular tone isn’t very hard to get. It’s a standard rock tone.

My big question is how do these modelers feel compared to a tube amp?
You get different answers from different people.
“Close enough” is fine for some people but not for others.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:36 am 
Kramer Maniac

Just to clarify, there is a distinct difference between a modeler and the Kemper. I lived in the modeler world for many years. I wasn't aware how it actually affected my playing.

I often noticed that my playing sounded a little sloppy when using the Marshall in the studio. I blamed it on that amp. It wasn't the amp. It was the bad habits I developed while playing modelers.

Modelers are basically a programmer's rendition of what he thinks an amp should sound like. Along the way, they were tempted to cover people's bad habits (like mine), because they could, very easily.

The Kemper works exactly like an amp. You do it, you hear it. You play sloppy, you hear it. It took me 2 days to get rid of that sloppiness that was covered in modelers.

The Kemper takes a profile of an amp. Does the Kemper sound like an amp? No. It sounds like a mic'd up amp, though it does have a setting called real cabinet, where you can take out some of the microphone's characteristics in the profile. Does it have the feel of a real amp. Yes, definitely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 am 
Kramer Maniac

Here's the video that was the final straw and made me sell off my other gear, and get a Kemper. I have never been happier.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:21 am 
Kramer Kommander

lespauled wrote:
Modelers are basically a programmer's rendition of what he thinks an amp should sound like.

... and how much he is able to do with the system provided. The problem with current modelers is simply the sampling rate, bandwidth, speed. It's kinda comparable to lower bitrate MP3, you can clearly hear that some stuff gets shaved off and the tone lacks certain "fullness". The audience will usually not hear it, but the player himself will notice that maybe some harmonics are missing, the dynamics are much lower, some notes are more "lifeless" and such - in direct comparison to your "good" real amp. I can hear or rather feel it immediately with the current "lower-end" modellers.

Impuls response and similar models are rather limited. Tube amps are not linear and it's really hard to squash so many parameters into a software model, because you'd need a supercomputer to calculate it all correctly. The main limitation is processing power and AD/DA conversion. To properly reproduce a 20KHz random signal (some harmonic which does "color" the basic tone for example), you will usually need at least 4-8 times the sampling rate, which is simply not there in the current lower-end hardware. Thus we have to work with approximations, which basically means that some stuff gets shaved off. I think it will take at least 2-3 more generations of hardware development to get "there". Like 512 bit conversion and 784KHz sampling, with a separate IR for every loudness/gain step etc. and every picking intensity step for each of those. Or a completely different model based on some other principals.