Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:15 am

All times are UTC-05:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
Kramer Kommander

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:04 pm
Posts: 1004
Location: Kcmo
Got a choice of a peavey suspeme 160 head and peavey the peavey vtm straight cab with the ceslestion gk 85s for 250$ cash decent condition and all working or

A peavey 6505+ 112 combo for 375$

Any opinions at all? I really not a ss amp guy,but i really want the cab,lol

_________________
86 lefty kramer focus 1000 white
83 Kramer Focus 3000
88 Kramer Beretta
86 Kramer Pacer Custom
1992 ibanez 170L
(all leftys)


Top
   
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:44 pm 
Offline
Kramer Kommander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am
Posts: 2203
Location: Germany
6505 of course.


Top
   
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:09 pm 
Offline
Kramer Kommander

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:04 pm
Posts: 1004
Location: Kcmo
_xxx_ wrote:
6505 of course.


well i just bought a mint xxx head for 325 cash,so i can run my el34s wich i happen to luv! lol

_________________
86 lefty kramer focus 1000 white
83 Kramer Focus 3000
88 Kramer Beretta
86 Kramer Pacer Custom
1992 ibanez 170L
(all leftys)


Top
   
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:09 am 
Offline
Kramer Kommander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am
Posts: 2203
Location: Germany
Even better! As you know xxx is my main amp and also my all-time favorite :)

I actually prefer the 6L6 in those though, sound better IMO, kinda heavier and with better definition.

There were some issues with bias settings with EL34 in some 100W tops, so make sure to have a tech set the correct bias if you move to EL34. See here: https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/peav ... 20page.htm



Top
   
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 am 
Offline
Kramer Kommander

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:04 pm
Posts: 1004
Location: Kcmo
_xxx_ wrote:
Even better! As you know xxx is my main amp and also my all-time favorite :)

I actually prefer the 6L6 in those though, sound better IMO, kinda heavier and with better definition.

There were some issues with bias settings with EL34 in some 100W tops, so make sure to have a tech set the correct bias if you move to EL34. See here: https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/peav ... 20page.htm




Right on,thx ill check out the 6's first,thx xxx

_________________
86 lefty kramer focus 1000 white
83 Kramer Focus 3000
88 Kramer Beretta
86 Kramer Pacer Custom
1992 ibanez 170L
(all leftys)


Top
   
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
Kramer Kommander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am
Posts: 2203
Location: Germany
The tone in these comes 90% from the preamp anyway, I don't think you'll ever need to turn it up so loud to push the power tubes into overdrive (unless you want to tear down the house or such).

That said, the choice of box will change the sound much more than the tubes. I really like the speakers originaly used by Peavey (I think they were called Black Scorpion). I tried the Celestion Classic30 and didn't like the result at all, it was kinda too "vintage" for this amp and took away some punch. But it should work well with any aggressive, modern sounding speaker.


Top
   
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 am 
Offline
Kramer Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:19 am
Posts: 365
Location: the woodshed, Canada
My peavey renown melted the speaker coil on a Scorpion 12". its now a "head" lol

Ive read that the XXX speakers are quite close to V30's

_________________
It may not be long, but it sure is skinny!


Top
   
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:10 am 
Offline
Kramer Kommander

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:04 pm
Posts: 1004
Location: Kcmo
_xxx_ wrote:
The tone in these comes 90% from the preamp anyway, I don't think you'll ever need to turn it up so loud to push the power tubes into overdrive (unless you want to tear down the house or such).

That said, the choice of box will change the sound much more than the tubes. I really like the speakers originaly used by Peavey (I think they were called Black Scorpion). I tried the Celestion Classic30 and didn't like the result at all, it was kinda too "vintage" for this amp and took away some punch. But it should work well with any aggressive, modern sounding speaker.


Ive got a marshall 1960 b cab 2002

Ans ive got a mesa slant mid 90s with v30s

Also have the peavey cab i just got with the gk 85s

One has got to sound brutal,lol

_________________
86 lefty kramer focus 1000 white
83 Kramer Focus 3000
88 Kramer Beretta
86 Kramer Pacer Custom
1992 ibanez 170L
(all leftys)


Top
   
 Post subject: Advice on backup amp
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline
Kramer Kommander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am
Posts: 2203
Location: Germany
9am53 wrote:
My peavey renown melted the speaker coil on a Scorpion 12". its now a "head" lol

Ive read that the XXX speakers are quite close to V30's


Right, I meant Vintage30, not "classic". Not even remotely alike tone-wise, at least those used in my combo. I think the later models used some other speakers though, maybe even Celestion.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Theme Created by HOLLYSMOKE
Theme updated to phpBB 3.1.6 by KamijouTouma
Theme Version is 3.1.6-ss2